Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:50 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times

Advertisements

Has anyone experienced phantom pregnancy where you feel you are pregnant, feel all the symptoms, are sure you are pregnant only to find out you are not. I have been trying for while and there has been months and there were times when my period was delayed a day or two & I always wondered "is it because i really want to miss period & be pregnant that my mind is messing with my body". But it was never serious

But in my last cycle on the 14th day when i should be ovulating, I felt super tired to the point I slept all day. I felt nausea, mood swings, emotional, bloated to the point I got a maternity pant.. I was sure i was pregnant. I could not make up the symptoms i felt. Yet when I got my period, I realize all those symptoms i experienced were not pregnancy related.

anyone else experience this, how did you handle your self from feeling pregnant when you are not even pregnant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 06:44 PM

337 posts, read 311,063 times
Do you chart? Have you read the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler?

Might help you better understand the hormone fluctuations, etc.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:50 AM

I just ordered the thermometer and ovulation sticks. I have not start on this. Is the book worth it, I read about it and on the topic online. I read about charting, checking CM...etc feel like there is lot of information online that is why I never got the book. Should I still get the book

Old 10-10-2017, 10:17 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
i did; after having my tubes tied.

I even had phantom "kicks". It never has happened again since my reversal.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I just ordered the thermometer and ovulation sticks. I have not start on this. Is the book worth it, I read about it and on the topic online. I read about charting, checking CM...etc feel like there is lot of information online that is why I never got the book. Should I still get the book
kera, I think you can learn all you need to know online.

The bottom line is - when you're ovulating (around day 14 of your cycle, as you mentioned earlier) it's normal to feel hormonal and sort of "pregnant". But those are symptoms of ovulation, not pregnancy.

The first very very early symptoms of pregnancy will happen on about day 25, a few days before your period is due, and those will increase dramatically over the next month.

Women who say "I knew I was pregnant on day 14" were feeling ovulation symptoms. You aren't pregnant yet on day 14.

How long have you been trying?

Here's a tip that you won't hear often, but I was a labor coach and child birth instructor - and I believe it to be true. Big swings in blood sugar levels cause minor infertility problems. If you cut out as much processed sugar as you can, your chances of getting pregnant quickly increase. Those wild ups and downs of sugar somehow affect fertility.

Best wishes!

Old 10-10-2017, 11:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
You can check that book out of the library, too.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:15 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,076 times
Quote:
Has anyone experienced phantom pregnancy where you feel you are pregnant, feel all the symptoms, are sure you are pregnant only to find out you are not. I have been trying for while and there has been months and there were times when my period was delayed a day or two & I always wondered "is it because i really want to miss period & be pregnant that my mind is messing with my body". But it was never serious

But in my last cycle on the 14th day when i should be ovulating, I felt super tired to the point I slept all day. I felt nausea, mood swings, emotional, bloated to the point I got a maternity pant.. I was sure i was pregnant. I could not make up the symptoms i felt. Yet when I got my period, I realize all those symptoms i experienced were not pregnancy related.

anyone else experience this, how did you handle your self from feeling pregnant when you are not even pregnant
As already said by PP, you cannot be pregnant on the day you are supposed to be ovulating so the symptoms you had were ovulation symptoms (if that). The issue is that despite what most books or doctors tell you, many women dont actually ovulate on day 14. And you will never know what cycle day you ovulate until you track - either by temperature charting or by using ovulation kits for a few months while understanding that it is entirely possible for days to change.

In my case, when DH and I started planning to have a baby, I mistakenly assumed that I ovulated on CD14. Now sperm lives for a short time (can be up to 5 days but typically 2-3 days). After a few months of not getting pregnant, I found out that I wasnt ovulating till CD18-20 so the sperm was probably dead if we say last had sex on CD13. The luteal phase (days between ovulation and your next period) is more constant at 12-14 days so the length of your cycle should help you pinpoint ovulation better. And all this is assuming that the woman is in fact ovulating each month.

Good luck.. getting yourself educated on your fertility is very empowering..

Old 10-16-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Here's a tip that you won't hear often, but I was a labor coach and child birth instructor - and I believe it to be true. Big swings in blood sugar levels cause minor infertility problems. If you cut out as much processed sugar as you can, your chances of getting pregnant quickly increase. Those wild ups and downs of sugar somehow affect fertility.

Best wishes!
Thanks for the tip. I need to lose weight& give up junk food. Recently when I did get pregnant (ended in miscarriage at 11 weeks) I did give up chips completely and lost some good pounds. I need to get back to being healthy. I knew about people feeling tired during ovulation and I have felt that way in past but this last cycle I was tired for entire 2 weeks after ovulation until I had my period.

I am starting to chart this week, got my thermometer, got a big pack of ovulation kit. As a chemist, I am excited to chart and collect data. I hope I have healthy pregnancy soon.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:59 AM

15 posts, read 11,969 times
Quote:

Oh, I understand you so well! I rather often feel these symptoms before my period and almost always I'm scared that I'm really pregnant (we don't plan to have a second child in the near future), even considering that we always use high quality condoms. However as I noticed these symptoms are ok for PMS too (it's a pain in my case...) and my gynecologist said that it's ok. Personally I'm more scared of the latenings of my period, especially the long ones (in my case that happened several times too), well you know what I mean
I was so tired of my constant anxiety in this case that now I simply use good stores' test like New Choice and online ones https://pregnancytest-online.com/ for calming myself, after seeing the negative results I always feel a relief I can recommend you to do the same, well in my case it was the most effective decision

Old 11-10-2017, 09:56 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
It could've been a chemical pregnancy, you wouldn't even know it happened unless you tested at like 10 days DPO it might show a faint positive. That actually happened to me the cycle before I got pregnant. Had I not tested at 10 DPO I would've never known as I had no symptoms and everything carried on as normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy