U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 53 times

Advertisements

I just had a miscarriage and I am not looking forward to telling my 4-year-old daughter about it. She was looking forward to having a little brother or sister and I don't know how to explain to her that her future brother or sister is no longer in her Mommy's tummy. I was just about to be 12 weeks pregnant and we found out last Friday. What can I do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:38 PM

191 posts, read 45,076 times
Oh, honey. I'm sorry for your loss. It's not going to be easy to explain to your daughter, but I think just being honest is best, and letting her talk and ask questions after you tell her. You can explain that the baby wasn't growing right and couldn't grow up big and strong like her, so it passed away. If she seems receptive to more info or has trouble comprehending, it may help to show her how small the baby was at 12 weeks, so she understands that the baby was just starting out and didn't hurt when it died. Usually kids that age don't really have a concept of how long it takes a baby to start looking like the babies they see, and they assign feelings to everything--even their stuffed animals--so she will likely feel bad for the baby more than for you or for herself.

If you're religious, you can say her little brother or sister will be an angel watching over her. That can help soften the blow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or