U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2019, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 159 times

Advertisements

Wife and I both smoke. Just found out tonight she is pregnant again and are curious if anyone else went through trying to quit when they found out they were pregnant. Smoking has not been a life long thing we went through a REALLY stressful period about 2 years ago and both started smoking again and now we clearly need to quit. Common sense says to just toss what's left in the trash or give them away but any tips on how to stop the cravings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

191 posts, read 46,045 times
My husband smoked all of his adult life, but quit cold turkey when I got pregnant with our first. I know the cravings suck, but it will get easier every day.

If you feel like you can't do it cold turkey, talk to your doctor about ways to let yourself down a little easier. I'd have your wife ask her obstetrician, because s/he will know what will be allowable for your wife to do while pregnant. I know the patch would be a no-no, but there may be alternatives that are safe with pregnancy. And then you can be advised at the same time.

Good job putting your baby first! You'll be so happy you did this once you get through the tough part!

Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM

5,780 posts, read 4,695,733 times
I quit years and years ago.
Once it leaves your system, you're totally fine, the cravings are gone. It's just the psychological residual craving crap. But I'm sure you already know that.

When you smoke a cigarette... just remember while you're inhaling that nicotine, it's lulling you into a false sense of relaxation, security, whatever you want to call it, and while that nicotine has got you distracted with that, it's busy digging another hole for you to fall right back into 20 minutes later. The hole of "oh my god! I need a flippin' cigarette!". If you hadn't had that cigarette 20 minutes ago, it never would have had the chance of digging that new hole for you to fall in.

When you quit, it's just that you're suddenly aware of what that sneaky little bastard nicotine did to you with that last cigarette. Don't give into it. Once you can get past it, you'll be ok. All that cigarette is doing is creating the need for another cigarette. Every puff is a another void you'll soon have to fill again.

I will tell you this... I was a total nicotine addict. Once the nicotine left my system, and I got used to a new routine that didn't include smoking, I was fine. I thought I was going to crave nicotine for the rest of my life and be totally miserable and always pining for a smoke and being jealous of smokers (lol). Man, NOT AT ALL! It's like I went straight back to my pre-smoking days. Never had a single craving in all these years. It's like I never even smoked.

It was mostly just getting over that initial craving after my last cigarette (that hole that had to be filled) and getting used to a no-cigarette routine.

You can do it.

Buy the book by Allen Carr - Easy way to quit smoking. It helps to put your mind in the right perspective before you quit. It really helped me a lot.

Good luck!

oh and congrats! (wife's pregnancy.)

Old Today, 09:22 AM

27,847 posts, read 60,221,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
Any advice on how to stop smoking
Throw away what you have and don't buy more.

Quote:
...any tips on how to stop the cravings?
Sex. Lot's of it.

Old Today, 09:48 AM

3,207 posts, read 3,489,389 times
I quit smoking cold turkey about ten years ago. The first three or four days are the worst. You'll have the taste in your mouth and your head will spin, making you very irritable for a couple of days.
One of the hardest parts is breaking the ritual part. Examples; If you smoke after a meal or in your car after you get off work. You'll find your self reaching for that smoke every time. You don't only have to deal with the nicotine withdrawal, but you have to get past that ritual.
Also, you'll always have the craving. I still think "Hmm, that smells good" if someone is smoking nearby and I catch a whiff. You just have to be stronger than the urge and not give into it. It's a vicious addiction.
Another thing that keeps me from starting again is cost. Here in WA, they tax tobacco. A pack of cigs cost anywhere from $8 to $10 a pack. I can't justify paying that much for something that literally goes up in smoke.
No matter how you quit, it's willpower that will keep you from starting again.

Old Today, 06:16 PM

83 posts, read 2,165 times
There's nothing wrong with smoking when you're pregnant, you just have to avoid drinking for the first 3 months.

Old Today, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 159 times
We got like 10 cigarette's left and that's it! I had just bought a carton this past Sunday and have been trying to finish them off which I probably will tonight or in the morning. After that I am finished! Gonna have to find some other way to relax etc...the worst is going to be the morning when I get up I truly enjoy a smoke first thing. I stopped 12 years ago cold turkey as well when wife was pregnant with our first and I will do it again hopefully for good this time.

Old Today, 06:54 PM

8,781 posts, read 3,408,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
There's nothing wrong with smoking when you're pregnant, you just have to avoid drinking for the first 3 months.
That's not true.

Nicotine shrinks blood vessels, including the ones in the placenta.

Babies born to women who are active nicotine users are small, because they didn't get the amount of nutrition through the placenta that other babies do.

And no, on the second statement as well. You don't just have to avoid drinking for the first three months. When the mom drinks, the baby drinks. You can end up with severely brain damaged babies whose mothers drank a lot. Fetal alcohol syndrome. Google it. It's not pretty, and the baby is damaged for life.

Old Today, 06:57 PM

2,222 posts, read 804,039 times
"any tips on how to stop the cravings?"

as above....
sex
and
more sex.

wear yourselves out.

Old Today, 07:33 PM

83 posts, read 2,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's not true.

Nicotine shrinks blood vessels, including the ones in the placenta.

Babies born to women who are active nicotine users are small, because they didn't get the amount of nutrition through the placenta that other babies do.

And no, on the second statement as well. You don't just have to avoid drinking for the first three months. When the mom drinks, the baby drinks. You can end up with severely brain damaged babies whose mothers drank a lot. Fetal alcohol syndrome. Google it. It's not pretty, and the baby is damaged for life.
Ok. I didn't know this. TIL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or