Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,153 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to take my first (and hopefully only ) round of Chomid next month and don't know what to expect. I don't know anyone who has taken it before so no friends to base my experience on. Was it successful? Did it take more than one dose? Any side affects?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 01:48 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,955 times
When I first started infertility treatments back in 1996, I was given Clomid. I did get pregnant right away. But it ended up in my fallopian tube (ectopic pregnancy). Low and behold, I ended up having blocked tubes. So IVF was the only way for me to get pregnant (which I did thank gd!!)

I just remember feeling like I had a bad case of pms. I was irritated very easily, and felt hot all the time. But it really depends on you. I have known people to get pregnant with clomid, and others not. What exactly is your infertility diagnosis? Depending on what it is, clomid may not be the right answer. If I were you, I would seek a Reproductive Endocronologist for any infertility treatments. It could save you lots of time, expense and frustration.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
I took clomid for two cycles. It did not work for me... I didn't ovulate with the lowest dosage, but I did have side effects to my vision, so I was not allowed to take it anymore. Apparently it can rarely cause blindness, and any visual side effects mean it needs to stop at once.

Aside from the vision problems, I remember major hot flashes and moodiness.

Best wishes to you!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,135 times
I took Clomid several years ago and had no side effects, but it also did nothing at all for my ovulation cycle. I was on different dosages along with some steriods added later on because of hormone issues for a total of nine months. They then kept me on Clomid and added some injectables and I conceived on the first cycle.

Good luck! I have a friend who had beautiful twins and conceived them on her very first cycle of Clomid.

Nancy

Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,802 times
I've never taken Clomid. Several people I know have conceived multiples either during their course with the med or immediately after.

Best of luck!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:16 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,776 times
You're going to get different responses from different people because everyone responds to the drug in their own way. My friend has taken the drug three times and conceived a son from it. She is currently on her fourth cycle trying to another baby (two years later). She recently found out she has a serious thyroid problems so they're monitoring that closely. For her, she is extremely nauseous and vomits a lot. She is also extremely emotional and (in her words) insane to be around. This is just one person! I wish you good luck and hope it is very successful for you!!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:55 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I took Clomid 10 years ago for 8 months. It was horrendous ; major mood swings, no patience etc. It did help me but I never concieved on it.

I changed to injectibles and got pregnant on the first try. 10 months later I started again on injectibles and my second son was concieved.

My dh remembers the clomid days with no fond memories.

d

Old 08-01-2008, 06:34 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I took clomid for two cycles. It did not work for me... I didn't ovulate with the lowest dosage, but I did have side effects to my vision, so I was not allowed to take it anymore. Apparently it can rarely cause blindness, and any visual side effects mean it needs to stop at once.

Aside from the vision problems, I remember major hot flashes and moodiness.

Best wishes to you!
ETA: Six months after the clomid cycles, I got pregnant with no intervention and had my son. Then I got pregnant again and had a miscarriage, then got pg with my daughter, then had an unexpected pregnancy which ended in another miscarriage... so don't feel like if clomid does not work for you, you won't have a baby! Just wanted to throw that in there.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:05 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,368 times
I know my neighbor conceived twice on clomid. I personally have never used it, although I may be giving it a go, who knows? I concieved my son easily and with no intervention. We started TTC our second a year ago and have run into some unexpected road blocks. I had a miscarriage last Dec., was just recently diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), conceived again last month and miscarried again. So I just had my first appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist to help me with getting pregnant and staying pregnant. I have to go through some testing and then he will come up with a plan of action for me. (Don't know yet if it will include clomid.) Good luck to you, trying to get pregnant is so frustrating!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 AM

631 posts, read 1,886,153 times
Ha, mood swings and hot flashes. My hubby is going to be so thrilled . Its worth a try and hopefully won't last very long. If we can finally get our baby from it then the side effects will be worth it. Thanks for sharing your stories. Its nice to know that I am not alone with the infertility struggle, especially with a babyboom going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy