Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Nrfitchett, there's no reason to go to the hospital during a healthy pregnancy during early labor. Usually the recommendation is that you go when contractions are 5 minutes apart and strong enough that you can't talk through them, and especially in a first time mom, that can take a very long time. When I had my daughter, who was my second child, I went into labor in the late morning, went to see the doctor for my regular 40-week appointment, and he said I was dilating nicely, and could go home or to the hospital. I chose to go home, spent the day doing a little yardwork and playing with my son, DH came home, we had dinner, put our son to bed, and then headed off to the hospital. I finally had her naturally the next morning. Obviously if things had moved more quickly, we would have gone earlier, but there's no reason to be stuck in bed with a fetal monitor for hours upon hours... that's how many women end up with interventions leading to a C-section.
sorry, if we would have waited, my wife would have had the kid in the bathtub. She dilated from a 3 to a 9 in 15 minutes. from the time of her first complaining of contractions till our son was born was only 4 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
One question: Why did you go at it for 14 hours before going to the hospital?
my question wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I just was wondering if you were planning a home birth and got scared or something of that nature.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
People go WAY too early. I didn't need to be hooked up to monitors and IVs when everything was fine. I planned drug free. I was happy at home, walkin around, I took a bath, watched a movie, ate some KFC, lol.

when a pregnancy is healthy, you don't need to be in an uncomfortable hospital setting where they are going to try and "speed things up," and make what happened to me happen.

I should have waited even longer
I'm sorry your previous hospital experience was so bad, but most hospitals don't try to "speed you up". they encouraged my wife to walk the halls, set up the hot tub for her to soak in. Matter of fact, she ended up dilating so fast she didn't get the epidural she dreamed of.
Our second child was induced due to my wife's medical problems and they didn't rush that either. She got started on pitocin and her epidural and they left her alone except to check her cervix.

You seem to be against healthcare and insurance. I guess your bad experience is the reason why. I hope the next time goes better for you.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
The reason many women died in childbirth was because hygiene and sanitation were so poor.

The uterus usually ruptures at the top. A Csection incision is at the bottom. A repeat csection is more risky for most women than a vbac. Doctors will try to convince you otherwise because sections are more convenient... but for most women (note I did not say ALL), vbacs are safer than the major surgery that a ceasarian section is.
and you say this because you work in labor and delivery or have done studies?
the MD's are not interested in what is most convient, but what is most safe.
I'm suprised more women are opting for c-sections electively. Why have a major surgery you don't need?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Here is some good info on the risks of vbac vs. the risks of a repeat section:

Best Evidence: VBAC or Repeat C-Section | VBAC or Repeat C-Section :: Childbirth Connection

Here is what the WHO has to say about maternal deaths:

Severe bleeding is often due to placenta previa or abruption (which would necessitate a c-section anyway, whether a woman had birthed vaginally or not). I don't know how many mothers bleed to death due to a vaginal birth vs. a csection, though I'd imagine the risks are greater during major abdominal surgery. Infections are often due to poor hygiene, and it's common knowledge that many infections are spread at the hospital. Infections are also more likely if a woman has had major surgery (c section) than from a vaginal birth. Complications of abortion would not apply to women delivering a baby. Eclampsia also does not differentiate between women VBACing and women undergoing a c-section. Sometimes severe eclampsia does necessitate an emergency c-section, but that's not what's being discussed.

According to my midwife, c-sections are required in about 10% of pregnancies. The hospital closest to where I used to live in Florida had a section rate of about 35%. Do you really think that OBs don't do c sections out of convenience??
out of convenience or because the women are asking for it?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I never knew my life was so interesting that I would have people following my posts! Thank you.

Not that I need to answer to you, but yes. I am planning WAY ahead. I had a horrible first experience and by the time my husband is on the FD we will EVENTUALLY have a couple more babies.

And you know what? If his insurance is still TOO high, and we QUALIFY for the aid, we will take it. We have NEVER lied on any of the applications. The government has it there for people who need it, long or short term.

I'm sorry you are bitter. End of story. I will not be responding to you any further. And you sure can bet I will NOT be following YOUR posts.

Back to the VBAC info. Someone said that VBACS are more dangerous than a repeat c-section? That seems odd to me. Not looking for an arguement, just curious. Isn't "stretching" a healed scar better that cutting it open again?

My cut is horizontal, a couple of doctors have told me as long as you wait a couple of years, VBACS are safe as long as done where the staff are READY for a repeat CS.

IDK. I just want to try. Ideally my situation would be as follows:

I go into labor
I stay home and be comfortable.
When contractions are close enough I go to the hospital.
I can finish labor in tub and possibly deliver in.
No medication.
I get my baby in my arms right when he/she is born!
Baby healthy. Everyone happy.
maybe not bitter, just tired of paying for my family and the two families down the street who don't take responsibility for themselves.
How can you be so selfish as to think that it is o.k. to bring more children into the world knowing you cannot afford to maintain health insurance.

Health insurance should be like car insurance. You want to drive you have to have insurance or pay the consequences.
It's funny they will garnish your wages for back taxes, but not for health insurance for your children.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:25 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
nrtitchett4 for President

Old 12-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
nrtitchett4 for President
I would be assassinated the first week.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
Quote:
I would be assassinated the first week.

Not by people who pay out of pocket for health insurance, they CAN'T afford guns!

JK

Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
I'm sorry your previous hospital experience was so bad, but most hospitals don't try to "speed you up".
The hospital most definitely did everything they could to speed up my labor starting with my midwife who induced due to post dates, followed by all kinds of unnecessary interventions and finally ending with a threat of C-Section for not dilating fast enough. It happens a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy