U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 PM

4,784 posts, read 4,383,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Well, thanks all for your input. Unfortunately, it turns out health insurance is not an option for us- because we have had infertility treatment in the past, no insurance company will cover us for maternity benefits.
I could understand them refusing to cover infertility treatment as it is a pre-existing condition, but they refuse any maternity coverage, even for a naturally occuring pregnancy. So, we are starting to safe, just in case (and yes, we are applying for normal health insurance, without maternity cover, for emergencies).

Just go to your local hospital and tell them you are an illegal alien...you will get top tier medical treatment for free---at taxpayer expense of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,432,630 times
Penguin

I have great insurance so it was all covered but I did see the bills.

In South Georgia, uncomplicated vaginal delivery was about $3K

In Albuquerque, NM, a few years later, uncomplicated vaginal delivery was about $10K

This was only the delivery and not the cost of any prenatal care, which was considerable for the more recent baby. I had weekly u/s because of a problem with the cord insertion. I was seen by the perinatologist in addition to my regular OB visits.

I think it varies considerably by region.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,684 times
Talking Really more like.....

C section including prenatal care should be between 8-14 thousand dollars depending on stay if you stay 4 days instead of 3 maybe 11-8 thousand. Also this should note pre natal can very by over 3000 dollars in one 40 mi radius as well as hospitals.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,684 times
Default oops

thats 11-18 thousand. On a side note my bill was 38,000+ hospital only 3 day vaginal no complications.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:12 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,481,686 times
Costs go up if you use a tissue provided to you by hospital staff, or have a drink of their water. Insurance would be the best thing. You never know where costs are going to come from.

Depending on the Social Welfare System is an outrageous suggestion. The mentality of being owed benefits for themselves or their children is why the population is so far over what is reasonable. If people were held responsible for their own, they wouldn't multiply like they do. It isn't a matter of 'it's there, why not use it'. It's personal responsiblity and accountability.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:43 PM

433 posts, read 1,131,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
if you can hold off the new prez will cover you for free

Be careful what you wish for and remember nothing is free. Ever.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:27 PM

324 posts, read 560,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Are your twins your current husband's children?
What does the paternity of her children have to do with the topic onhand? I hope you are not just being nosy @ OP's expense?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:58 PM

139 posts, read 218,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Depending on the Social Welfare System is an outrageous suggestion. The mentality of being owed benefits for themselves or their children is why the population is so far over what is reasonable. If people were held responsible for their own, they wouldn't multiply like they do. It isn't a matter of 'it's there, why not use it'. It's personal responsiblity and accountability.
I'm so sick of societal martyrs like you. If it's there, a person in need should use it. There are people who need the temporary aid, and that's what the system is there for, not for people who multiply to get benefits. Some people just can't afford 20,000 grand to have a kid and don't wish to abort, and YOU are no one to police them. What, do you think we should sterilize all poor women now?

Old 01-03-2011, 01:50 AM

43,017 posts, read 50,678,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Well, thanks all for your input. Unfortunately, it turns out health insurance is not an option for us- because we have had infertility treatment in the past, no insurance company will cover us for maternity benefits.
I could understand them refusing to cover infertility treatment as it is a pre-existing condition, but they refuse any maternity coverage, even for a naturally occuring pregnancy. So, we are starting to safe, just in case (and yes, we are applying for normal health insurance, without maternity cover, for emergencies).
I know this is an old post, but this caught my eye. If an insurance company won't pay for infertility treatments, how can the insurance company even know there were past infertility treatments? If you're paying cash for infertility treatments, the insurance company would have no record that you received infertility treatments.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,447,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know this is an old post, but this caught my eye. If an insurance company won't pay for infertility treatments, how can the insurance company even know there were past infertility treatments? If you're paying cash for infertility treatments, the insurance company would have no record that you received infertility treatments.
You have to declare infertility as a pre-existing condition on the application form. Considering we had three years of treatment in the past, including an operation which means I have small scars, it would be easy for them to find out, and then deny any claim at all, even for a broken leg or whatever. Our kids have insurance btw (Private BCBS PPO), just we can't due to the infertility- at least not till we are past childbearing age.

BTW, we saved, I looked for a doctor who did VBAC in our ban hospital, I did get pregnant (unexpectedly easily and quickly!), and had the baby without insurance. Our doctor and hospital gave discounts for self-paying and paying everything ahead of time, and the whole thing (including two nights hospital stay- one in labor and one after baby was born) cost about 8000 dollars.

Last edited by Penguin_ie; 01-03-2011 at 05:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy