Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,821 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]Is there any midwife who can attend the birth in the hospital where I want to give the Birth? [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]I guess experienced midwife would not do that but new or under training midwife can do. Do you know how can I get them?[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,273 times
I'm sure you could find a CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife) for your hospital birth assuming that you are low risk. CNM's provide prenatal care throughout pregnancy and mainly attend hospital births. They work under the supervision of an OBGYN.

ETA: I looked at your first post and see you are in Houston. I googled Houston and midwives and saw that there is at least one birth center there so that could be another option as well.
http://texasmidwives.net/zlc-76117-1-551-North_Houston_Birth_Center_Midwives.aspx (broken link)

Old 02-11-2011, 07:00 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,403 times
What exactly do you want the midwife to do? In hospital, they will have limited powers as the nurses and doctors need to do certain things as per hospital policy.

You may want to look into a homebirth or birth center, or another option is a doula (ie non-medical support person). I had a doula for my hospital birth and she was great in supporting me and my husband, explaining medical procedures etc.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,632 times
A lot of OB practices have a certified nurse midwife as part of the practice and are there for a normal (uncomplicated) childbirth (at least in my state).

Though I was having a planned repeat c-section, I got to see the midwife for some of my prenatal visits. At the hospital, I only saw my doc for the actual c-section. The midwife was the one who came to check on me after and was the one who signed off on my discharge. I was perfectly happy with that because she was SO much more caring and patient with my endless questions than most docs that I have encountered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy