U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,623,338 times

Advertisements

Do you have a park with an enclosed shelter or community center? I have been to several at our local community center and it only cost the rental of the room- which I believe was $100 and everyone made/brought food.... they decorated the room nicely and it was big enough for everyone.... Just a thought on the cheap... it is what you make it- could be really cute and inexpensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:52 PM

959 posts, read 1,578,261 times
It is never OK to ask a guest to pay for anything.

Kristine

Old 02-21-2010, 08:55 PM

58 posts, read 129,762 times
I agree...It is NEVER ok to ask a guest to pay and very tacky

Go to this site and look around for ideas:

Entertaining and Hospitality

Old 05-06-2018, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 236 times
I think the most controversial question about having baby showers is knowing who will handle the cost. I've read a few notes like this [url=http://myparentingjourney.com/who-pays-for-baby-shower]Who Pays For Baby Shower? 2018[/url] online before I pitch in my two cents. I think unless someone offered to do host or do if for the mom, it is accepted that the mom (or the couple having the baby) should pay for the expenses.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:40 AM

774 posts, read 378,703 times
Yes, the host pays for all the expenses of a party. (Baby showers typically aren't potlucks.)

Maybe it's just the people I know, but people seem to hate baby showers. (The office manager where I work has been complaining about hosting "the baby shower from hell"). If it's gotten that expensive, and people hate them so much, why not entertain within your means, serve food your guests like, and play games people already have on hand and enjoy playing. Seems like it can only be an improvement.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:45 AM

7,105 posts, read 2,782,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennymomming View Post
I think the most controversial question about having baby showers is knowing who will handle the cost. I've read a few notes like this Who Pays For Baby Shower? 2018 online before I pitch in my two cents. I think unless someone offered to do host or do if for the mom, it is accepted that the mom (or the couple having the baby) should pay for the expenses.
I know this is an old zombie thread, but I have to chime in here.

The link you mentioned had no advice whatever for couples who don't have someone else host their baby shower.

I know it's done in some areas/communities where the mother hosts her own shower, but in most communities that is a REALLY serious etiquette breach. This seems to be happening mostly in cases where the mother is young, single, and truly needs help with expenses that their family is unwilling or unable to provide, so in desperation she hosts her own shower.

A baby shower should be hosted by a friend, or a group of friends, or family who are not in the direct "line" of the mother - that is, no grandmas or great grandmas should host.

Baby showers are often hosted by several hosts, making it a really fun thing all around and not too much burden on any one host.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:49 AM

7,105 posts, read 2,782,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Yes, the host pays for all the expenses of a party. (Baby showers typically aren't potlucks.)

Maybe it's just the people I know, but people seem to hate baby showers. (The office manager where I work has been complaining about hosting "the baby shower from hell"). If it's gotten that expensive, and people hate them so much, why not entertain within your means, serve food your guests like, and play games people already have on hand and enjoy playing. Seems like it can only be an improvement.
I completely agree. There is no call to rent out a hall or hotel reception room to host a baby shower - that just looks like a complete gift grab and a headache.

I've seen cases where a couple hostesses get together, and the one with the biggest home/most social space offers her home, and the others do the decorating and food.

But not, like, for hundreds of people.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:53 PM

24,542 posts, read 28,956,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennymomming View Post
I think the most controversial question about having baby showers is knowing who will handle the cost. I've read a few notes like this Who Pays For Baby Shower? 2018 online before I pitch in my two cents. I think unless someone offered to do host or do if for the mom, it is accepted that the mom (or the couple having the baby) should pay for the expenses.
The person or people who offer to host should pay. No, the mom or the couple should never throw their own baby shower.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:10 PM

774 posts, read 378,703 times
Re: the original post on not having the space for all 30 guests...don't invite 30 guests.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:40 AM

8,896 posts, read 10,401,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I know this is an old zombie thread, but I have to chime in here.

The link you mentioned had no advice whatever for couples who don't have someone else host their baby shower.

I know it's done in some areas/communities where the mother hosts her own shower, but in most communities that is a REALLY serious etiquette breach. This seems to be happening mostly in cases where the mother is young, single, and truly needs help with expenses that their family is unwilling or unable to provide, so in desperation she hosts her own shower.

A baby shower should be hosted by a friend, or a group of friends, or family who are not in the direct "line" of the mother - that is, no grandmas or great grandmas should host.

Baby showers are often hosted by several hosts, making it a really fun thing all around and not too much burden on any one host.
Yes, old thread. Love your info on the etiquette breach. When you think about it, even in the best of circumstances, the baby shower can be a bit of a gift grab. Let's not make it more of one. It should be hosted by loving girlfriends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy