Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
The most useful training was the hospital orientation. Showed us where we were going and what was going to happen and when. If we hadn't have done that we may still be wondering around the parking garage. (nah just kidding LOL)
We went to a class, but only seemed to make us more anxious. I agree w/ drjones about going to the hospital orientation. We did enjoy this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
I read the What to Expect book, maybe something else, no classes, I learned what I needed from the books, and from talking with others.
Reading "What to Exspect" and other various baby magazine articles was a big help in preparing me for my baby. You might also check out www.ivillage.com and click on "pregnancy and parenting". They have great forums for all stages of parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I didn't take child birth classes, but my sister taught me the lamaze breathing techniques. It really does HELP to learn how to breath and focus!

You can have a friend be your partner to help you through labor. It doesn't need to be your husband.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:06 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
I never took the class when pregnant with my son. I mean, millions of women managed to do just fine without the classes (as well as books, ect) prior to them coming around

Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 PM

243 posts, read 812,851 times
Thank you to everyone who has replied.

Since I went into premature labor already, I've seen and know where to go. They actually have all my paper work ready on hand. I've been back and forth in the birthing center just because I was a little high risk. Now I'm on bed rest.

Unfortunately, since we had to move to a new city before he went to boot camp, I don't have any friends here but good thing my mother and sister will be here.

My mom advised me that the breathing techniques are good to know but she did not use anything she learned from the classes while in labor. LOL But like I mentioned before, I've been reading so much from books and online sources about labor. I also read the "What to Expect" book and found it very educating.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:21 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,321 times
For me personaly they were a waist of time.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I didn't take child birth classes, but my sister taught me the lamaze breathing techniques. It really does HELP to learn how to breath and focus!
They do not teach much about lamaze in most birth classes. Now if the OP's goal is to have a natural birth without any meds then I would recommend finding a lamaze or similar class.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,353 times
When my wife and I did the classes, we felt that they did not deal with doing a drug free birth. There was little or nothing on pain releaf other than choosing between drugs or epidural. They never even mentioned a thing called a birthing plan. So when it came to giving birth, they kept offering gas and an epidural and various other pain killing drugs. Which of course, because she was in pain, she just accepted as she really did not want to be thinking through these decisions. Its hurts and I just want it to stop!.

We were much better prepared for number two. We had learned about birthing plans and had briefed the hospital about what we wanted. We had also investigated natural forms of pain releaf and practiced them. We especially wanted to avoid the use of drugs if at all possible So on the birthing plan it said in big letters right across the top that they were not to offer drugs for pain releaf unless a doctor intervened and said it was necessary for the survival of mom or baby. I was pleased to see that when there was a shift change that the nurse on duty took the new nurse aside and went through the birthing plan with her. So yes my wife went through pain without drug based pain releaf but afterwards she was happy that she had done it this way.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:06 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
I didn't do the classes. Money, no insurance and a father who wasn't keen on going so I never looked into them.

That being said, I don't think I missed anything. I read a lot and asked friends/family. When the time came, my labor progressed too fast for an epidural so all I got is a little Demerol when I was admitted. The nurses are great and are trained to coach new mommas.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,682 times
I think it also depends on what your expectations and what kind of labor and delivery you want. It sounds like you've read a lot already and talked to family, so you probably know there are different positions, breathing techniques, meditation, philosophies for labor, etc... a lot of different ways out there. I would suggest you figure out what kind of process you want to try and then decide if you feel you need a class or not.

Personally, I hadn't planned any out breathing techniques per se, but I knew I wanted to try laying on my side to push the baby out... I didn't take a class, and read a lot from the What to Expect book and online- And ended up with a cesarean anyway.

It's good your have some female support with you during the big day and I wish you strength to get through it while your dh is away. Good luck with bed rest too.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
I can't imagine going into labor without a birthing plan. I realize most women have them now, but seems it would be harder to do without any classes. Knowing your options helps you choose what's right for you.

Also, when things don't go exactly as planned, you'll be prepared for changing gears. That's something you want to do beforehand. Transition's no time to deliberate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy