U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 AM
 
1,398 posts, read 3,071,915 times
Reputation: 2644

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
I have fun with my kids, and I look forward to enjoying my grandchildren while I'm still fairly young. Furthermore, if there were a fertility problem, waiting 10 years is not going to make it any better.
Hi TouchOfWhimsy,
I agree with what you said - I want to have a kid while still young. My Mom had me when she was 37!!!I hate thinking that she may not be here to enjoy her grandkids...I hope that we do not have fertility problem, but I sure agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
 
1,135 posts, read 1,250,286 times
Reputation: 1433
It's different for everyone and factors such as age and overall health will impact how long it takes to conceive.

If your periods are regular I would STRONGLY suggest you chart your ovulation and try to conceive when you are most fertile. You can find an ovulation prediction chart on BabyCenter | Homepage - Pregnancy, Baby, Toddler, Kids and you can purchase ovulation prediction kits, which measure your hormone levels, at most drug stores.

This worked extremely well for me.

With DD #1 I was 29 and it took 2 months. With dd #2 I was 31 and it took one month. With dd #3 I was 40 and the pregnancy was a surprise.

According to experts, if you are under 30 you should have a consultation with an ob/gyn if you don't conceive within 1 year of actively trying. If you are over 30, you should have a consultation if you don't conceive within 6 months.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
2,395 posts, read 4,096,960 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
While I'm sure you think this is helpful, people can decide to have children whenever they want. I had my first at 22 and am very thankful that I did! I have fun with my kids, and I look forward to enjoying my grandchildren while I'm still fairly young. Furthermore, if there were a fertility problem, waiting 10 years is not going to make it any better.
I didn't say to wait 10 years. I was trying to tell her not to stress about it because she is young. I was in her shoes, I married at 23 and I had 2 miscarriages within 6 months. Then I had other medical problems and I didn't have my dd until I was 31. Looking back I wish I knew then what I know now. There is no rush to parenthood, I am in a much better place now that I was at 23. I am really enjoying being a SAHM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
2,395 posts, read 4,096,960 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Hi Suzie,
Thank you for your reply. I've been married since I was 18. We enjoy traveling and doing stuff together as a couple. However, we also feel that we're ready for the next stage in our lives - kid(s).
Just do not stress about it, let nature take its course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 10:17 AM
 
1,398 posts, read 3,071,915 times
Reputation: 2644
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Just do not stress about it, let nature take its course.
I will try not to stress about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 10:20 AM
 
1,398 posts, read 3,071,915 times
Reputation: 2644
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
you can purchase ovulation prediction kits, which measure your hormone levels, at most drug stores.

This worked extremely well for me.

Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. I saw ovulation prediction kits in the local stores and I thought that some of them are pricey for the amount of tests you get. I found ovulation tests in bulk on ebay. I was wondering would they work as well? I'm sure these are no name tests ( that I found )...but maybe they would work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 AM
 
2,607 posts, read 6,111,386 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Hi Suzie,
Thank you for your reply. I've been married since I was 18. We enjoy traveling and doing stuff together as a couple. However, we also feel that we're ready for the next stage in our lives - kid(s).
Go for it. I had my first at 20 and my second at 24 and my husband and I couldn't be happier...!!!! Age is only a number
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 11:09 AM
 
2,839 posts, read 6,623,402 times
Reputation: 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I didn't say to wait 10 years. I was trying to tell her not to stress about it because she is young. I was in her shoes, I married at 23 and I had 2 miscarriages within 6 months. Then I had other medical problems and I didn't have my dd until I was 31. Looking back I wish I knew then what I know now. There is no rush to parenthood, I am in a much better place now that I was at 23. I am really enjoying being a SAHM.
I guess everyone has a different outlook... I'm also in my 30s and look back with relief that I had my kids young. I also enjoy being a SAHM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 AM
 
2,839 posts, read 6,623,402 times
Reputation: 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Thank you for your reply. I saw ovulation prediction kits in the local stores and I thought that some of them are pricey for the amount of tests you get. I found ovulation tests in bulk on ebay. I was wondering would they work as well? I'm sure these are no name tests ( that I found )...but maybe they would work?
Learning to chart will be much more accurate and much less expensive than OPKs. The OPKs come out positive when you have a luteal hormone surge, but you can have surges without actually ovulating. Also, if you're not regular, you might have to test every day for over a week, maybe two weeks, and that is $$$.

Buy a basal thermometer and the book that was mentioned. You won't regret it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM
 
5,748 posts, read 7,332,905 times
Reputation: 4378
First child: four years (infertility treatment and two miscarriages)
Second child: three months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top