Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:47 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,407,600 times

Advertisements

That's pretty much my question. My major isn't available at ASU or UofA so I'm stuck with commuting since I'll have seniority at my job and can't afford to throw that away for a couple more years of school as well as the fact that my job is semi-related to my major. I'm just concerned with driving on I-17 in the snow during winter and if the storms get really bad pretty regularly. Also, what are the standard snow seasons up there? I can't find info on that anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 08:56 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,913,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
That's pretty much my question. My major isn't available at ASU or UofA so I'm stuck with commuting since I'll have seniority at my job and can't afford to throw that away for a couple more years of school as well as the fact that my job is semi-related to my major. I'm just concerned with driving on I-17 in the snow during winter and if the storms get really bad pretty regularly. Also, what are the standard snow seasons up there? I can't find info on that anywhere.
Why don't you try the NAU online univeristy? N. Phoenix to Flag is 3.5 hours one way! Go to NAU Major Search, select Campus: Online, and click Search. That will show you all of the online degrees available.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:25 PM

I checked everything. My major isn't offered for any other alternatives. I must go to Flag unfortunately. How is a 130 mile drive 3.5 hours? I'd be driving from N. Phoenix, not Tucson. I'm trying to see if there is anything else I can do, but so far that is my only option that I've found for my budget and job situation.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
You are going to eat up a lot of gas and money and time, but if that's your only option, then that's your only option. You're right, it is not 3.5 hours from North Phoenix (varies depending on how close you are to I-17) to Flag. But you are still talking about let's say five hours a day on the road, door to door both ends. The schedule could be brutal, depending on what your work hours and class schedule are. When are you going to have time to actually study?

The snow is unpredictable. They had a LOT last winter, that may not happen this next year or the following year. You might have to drive on snowy roads on occasion, which would slow down your travel significantly, but the road RARELY closes.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,913,799 times
Oops. Sorry about that. I goolgled Anthem, AZ to Flagstaff, AZ and didn't notice that there is a city called Anthem south of Phoenix. From I-17 and the 101, google gives it about 2 hours - still a long way in my book, but if that's your only choice... Good luck with your commute. What's your major?

Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 AM

thanks for all that info! It really helps put things in perspective. You're right, it would eat up some gas, my car gets good mileage though and on really tough days I can rent a car (I'll be 25 by then so it'll be cheaper). as for studying, I'll have to figure out a way to make my schedule doable, or just ask for time off work when midterms/finals and big projects roll around.

My major is Apparel Merchandising..I'm too far in to change it now, even did a year at the Fashion Institute in LA and its what I want to do and I'd like to open up my own type of dress shop someday as well. I actually did some more research and found my major in California, CSU northridge and CSU long beach and also in the Dallas area-University of north Texas, so those are options too as I'd have more career options upon graduating in those areas too. Right now I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can to make the most suitable decision for my budget and situation. I have about a year until when I'm planning to get going.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:29 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,055,731 times
can your employer work with you for hours that allow you to stay in Flag for the school week and work weekends?....

or can you live in the Verde Valley area and go one way some days and the other way other days?....

or can you arrange your NAU class schedule to only have classes 2-4 days a week...and work the other days?....

or does your employer have a place in Flag to work?....

or, despite the seniority, can you quit the job (you're less than 25, anyway), get the degree, then get a better job with the degree and then build seniority (you'll still be way less than 30, right?)?

or can your employer offer a "sabbatical" for you to go to school and retain your seniority when you return?.....

I'm tryin' here!!!.....

Old 08-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
can your employer work with you for hours that allow you to stay in Flag for the school week and work weekends?....

or can you live in the Verde Valley area and go one way some days and the other way other days?....

or can you arrange your NAU class schedule to only have classes 2-4 days a week...and work the other days?....

or does your employer have a place in Flag to work?....

or, despite the seniority, can you quit the job (you're less than 25, anyway), get the degree, then get a better job with the degree and then build seniority (you'll still be way less than 30, right?)?

or can your employer offer a "sabbatical" for you to go to school and retain your seniority when you return?.....

I'm tryin' here!!!.....
Haha, thank you so much! those are all options I'm exploring actually! I will still be way less than 30, but I also will have bills to pay so its tough. My employer is only in major or semi major metro areas so definitely not in Flag, otherwise, I'd move there. I could quit the job and they would take me back when I finish school, but then I'd have a to take a way less paying job in Flag.

the merchandising schedule they told me was tues/thurs. so I'd have to go up there twice a week and then I can work the rest of the week in Phoenix.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
I think that's doable, for someone who's younger and has more energy than I do! Good luck!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,573,797 times
Two days a week for class is not bad at all. Now if it was more than that, I wouldn't really see it as worth it. It's a crappy situation though. It really sounds like it won't be the easiest for you no matter what choice you make. Good luck, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott