Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowannamove View Post
Overall the state of AZ has a less than admirable education system.
Being that you're new to AZ, I'm curious as to how you can speak for the entire state education system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 PM

91 posts, read 323,328 times
@Kdog. I've been here two years and have always been every interested/involved in the education system. Plus, the statistics are quite plain to see

Nationwide in education Arizona ranks:
  • Second in highest student-teacher ratio. Utah is first.
  • Second fastest growing student population. Nevada is first.
  • Ranks 35th in the nation for average teacher salaries and is $6,536 below the national average.
  • Ranks dead last in per pupil expenditure.
  • Score poorly on both Math and Reading Tests, 45th in a recent nationwide study
Arizona already ranks dead last in the nation in per pupil spending, but Governor Jan Brewer and the State Legislature cut $133 million from K-12 schools in a FY 2009 budget that was signed into law on Jan. 31. As a result of the cuts, thousands of teachers have lost their jobs, and 7,400 Arizona teachers have been told they may not have jobs next year.

Last edited by nowannamove; 09-22-2010 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: add on info

Old 09-29-2010, 09:04 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
The school funding in this state sucks, no question. Although I don't believe the test ratings are as bad as you cite. For example, here's a chart that shows rankings by state of High Schools, and Arizona ranks 23rd.

America's Best High Schools: State-by-State Statistics - US News and World Report

That's pretty darn good considering we're ranked so poorly on funding. I've seen similar rankings for elementary schools as well that put AZ fairly in the middle of the pack. Feel free to cite a reference for your claim that Arizona ranks 45th in Math and Reading. It's possible, I just haven't seen it. There are zillions of such rankings and comparisons on the internet and none of them ever seem to agree.

Another thing about test scores is they're often a reflection of demographics more than school performance. I'm sure you'll agree that the environment in which kids are raised has more to do with their test scores than does their school. Suffice to say there are some disadvantaged areas in this state. We're actually very happy with the elementary school our kids go to. Although our kids tell us there are other kids in their classes who do poorly.

How are you fairing in Flagstaff in general? I know you had some trepidation about moving there.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,873 times
Default deja vu

Over the years I have recieved so much helpful info from this site but never felt the urge to reply. Your post sounded very familiar to what I had to consider years ago when our family relocated to Flagstaff. I am now considering returning there to retire. We have great memories there so I will fill you in on what I know. First you are correct about high cost of living in Flag. It is based on a tourism ecomomy so their wages, even in my(medical) field are low compared to housing. Unfortunatley, this is what nessesitated my move back to California. With that being said. My kids had a wonderful childhood in Flag. The schools , like most of Arizona do not "test" high. My kids were very involved with their Schools and with its small town feel, every community/school activity brought out all the friends and neighbors. If you are looking for charter schools, there are plenty. My daughter went to Mountain School, which in my opinion, is the finest school in the U.S.. Unfortunately they are only k-6. Otherwise we would probably not have left, we would still be there now. Also the High School my other daughters attended, Sinauga, is now a Middle School. Another downsize foe pau move that AZ. Ed. made. I did teach at Flagstaff High for a semester and did find that school to be just fine. Just not as "pretty" as Sinauga. But buildings do not make the school. With the closing of Sinauga ( they had 3 High schools each had a pop. of about 1000 kids) they have now combined the 2 remaining high schools. I have no idea how thats working out. Hopefully someone in another post can address that. Summing it up, Prescott is a little closer to big metro (Phoenix) so perhaps more convienient. But Flagstaff definetly has the beauty and small town feel our family appreciated.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,873 times
Default What new school?

Nowanna move tell me about this new school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott