Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
I'll take 40s-50s in the winter with a little snow over 100+ 24/7 from May through September.

Come on. I lived in Phoenix for a couple of years before I moved to Prescott and it was NEVER 100+ 24/7 from May through September.

Right now @ 11PM, according to the weather channel, it is 76F in Phx. May is nice and September is also decent. It is June - August that is the worst. Even then, it is never 100+ for 24/7.

On the flip side, Prescott gets below 30F at night from November - March. It does freeze overnight, almost every night, during fall and winter. The average high from Nov-Mar in Prescott is in the upper 50's and the avg. low is in the lower 20's.

One can survive in Phx without heat during winter, you can't do that up here in Prescott. If you want to talk about extremes, the record cold for Prescott was -21F below zero.

Please, 100+ for 24/7, from May through September? Where is E-Jay to set you straight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:56 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
Personally, I lived in LHC for 14 years. The months of May through Sept were hot, period!!! Although May and Sept, the lows were in the mid 70's to 80's, high's were over 100 most days, you still felt uncomforable. The lows in Prescott in fall and winter, are no where as uncomfortable as the extreme heat. I think it is a matter of preference. I don't feel comfortable if temps go over 78 degrees.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
We live in South Florida and are thinking about moving to Arizona for our retirement years shortly.

Prescott does look a beautiful place to retire----yikes its going to be awfully difficult for me to convince my wife about Prescott when she sees the low temperatures in winter with the snowfall totals.

It looks like a great place but unfortunately been there done that on the snow and cold temps for many years in Wisconsin. Looks like we will have to fry in Southern Zona----we have fried here in Florida for many years so we fry with less humidity.

Just a tip here. We get so little snow here it's not a big deal. And when it's cold and you are retired you stay home.
And don't even try to compare our winters with Wisconsin~~no way!
The average summer highs are about 88° with some temps in the 90's that do not last long and the nights are cool at 5400'.
A very cold night in the winter is around 15° but the day time temps are around 40-50° on the coldest days.
We get a true 4 seasons here with all the colors in fall and like it that way!
I know, retirement is really tough to adjust to!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:06 AM

6 posts, read 17,612 times
From someone who is considering a move to either Prescott or Ashland, OR, and currently living on the Hamakua Coast of Hawaii, I read this thread and smile at the ease with which you hit the ball back and forth! I am semi-retired widow and raising two gradeschool children...need a more affordable area as well as good schools....and believe Prescott does provide well for both. Also want to be nearer family in central CA...without being "too near!" Worry a little about the tax implications in AZ vs Oregon and would appreciate any feedback. And no wise remarks about living in Paradise...it is a beautiful place and I will miss my million dollar view as I have my coffee each morn!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 17,612 times
Can anyone help me figure out how to change my user name for this site? I have searched all the menus and cannot figure it out? Help...L

Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndaleemalone View Post
From someone who is considering a move to either Prescott or Ashland, OR, and currently living on the Hamakua Coast of Hawaii, I read this thread and smile at the ease with which you hit the ball back and forth! I am semi-retired widow and raising two gradeschool children...need a more affordable area as well as good schools....and believe Prescott does provide well for both. Also want to be nearer family in central CA...without being "too near!" Worry a little about the tax implications in AZ vs Oregon and would appreciate any feedback. And no wise remarks about living in Paradise...it is a beautiful place and I will miss my million dollar view as I have my coffee each morn!

I think I may be able to offer some help. I was born in CA just North of SF and very near the grape country so I love salt water. My wife was born in Tombstone, I met her with stationed with the Army many years ago in SE AZ. We lived in CA almost all our lives but the state is really expensive to retire in and left many years ago.
My desire to live near salt water led me to a search to try to find a reasonable place to live. OR was pretty good if you wanted to live in the smaller towns quite a ways from anything major but we have some health problems and did not want to be that far away from major health care.
As far as taxes went we ran the numbers and found that we would save a little each month on taxes for income and such. I took license fees and most of what I pay now into consideration too including higher utility bills for heating in OR where the climate is colder and much damper of course. Rents were about the same as what we pay in Prescott.
There is a an area in Central Or with milder climate and it's closer to bigger cities for better access to many things but to us dealing with the rain was not worth it. We spent out time in the rains living in WA while I served in the Army many years ago and for 5 years after relocating when my wife's job required we live there in the 90s.
The WX is a whole lot better here at 5400' with a true 4 seasons which includes a little snow but not much. Summer highs average just below 90° and evenings and overnights are cool. it seems that if it gets to warm in the summer that the monsoons that we get here come along and cool it off quite a bit. Fall and Spring are very nice here.
We have lived many places including WA, CA, CO and AZ in several locations and like this the best.
Good luck in your search. Many have their own ideas of what is ideal for them. We loved HI and considered moving there at one time but did not want to be bound to the islands with little ability to travel without quite an expense.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndaleemalone View Post
Can anyone help me figure out how to change my user name for this site? I have searched all the menus and cannot figure it out? Help...L
The answer to your question is in the FAQ section in the About the Fourm fourm. Here is the link.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...ou-change.html

DM a senior Mod Yac or Markablue with the name you want to use.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:06 PM

533 posts, read 1,461,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Please, 100+ for 24/7, from May through September? Where is E-Jay to set you straight?
Hi old man--why are you calling me out regarding Phoenix weather? I've never lived there. I know it's hot. Is it hot From May to September? Probably. Is it over 100 for 4 months? I don't know. There's a reason I chose to live a mile high in AZ.

I hope your business improves soon, maybe that'll help you loosen the tighties a little.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Wow, I see on one list that Prescott is now #3 to retire too.
I also see that Sedona, Flagstaff, Green Valley, Phoenix and Tucson are in the top 21 of 100.
Their goes the neighborhood.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:49 PM

13 posts, read 33,508 times
Is air conditioning needed in Chino Valley since you get alot of wind? I currently live in CO in an area that I am sure gets alot more wind than CV. It comes off the 14,000 ft mts and while it makes it cold in the winter, summers are great and we don't need AC. We are looking for a place closer to our grandchildren in AZ and the Prescott area sounds nice but I'm not a big fan of AC. Is that needed in CV, P, or PV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott