Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,486,586 times

Advertisements

Me an my GF went to Prescott on Saturday for the art thing at the courthouse.

Maybe the economy there is bad, I dont know. Things lookd better there than in Phoenix, less empty stores, etc.

What I DID like was the people there were more laid back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,526,263 times
AND nicer.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:03 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,670,322 times
I was just down in that area this AM myself. What a great looking day!
I will agree with the people being nice. One of the reasons we moved here and many that come here comment about.
But there are store fronts that are closed, just not too many around the court house area.
The economy is a little better here than in other places in the country at the moment or so I think anyway.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,858,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
What I DID like was the people there were more laid back.
You have to realize that more than 50% of the people in Prescott are wealthy & retired. This plays a huge factor in peoples attitude. When you are not stressed and not having to worry about making a living to pay the bills, you will also tend to be laid back. Plus you were at an art festival in the touristy downtown square. Not exactly a complete "portrait", if you will, of the people and their attitudes.

There are rude people everywhere, no town is immune to it, no matter how small or quaint. Phoenix is a major city and most of the people are busting their butts to make a living to provide for their family. It's a lot more hustle and bustle. Being in the workforce in Prescott, I can assure you that they are not laid back here when it comes to the workforce. It is very cut throat like the big city and there are jerks everywhere.

Take a trip during "rush hour" on Highway 69 and you will see a different side to people here in Prescott.

As a whole is Prescott more laid back than Phoenix? Yes, but so are small towns around Phoenix like Buckeye and rich towns like Fountain Hills. When you got money and all the time in the world, people tend to be laid back.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:12 PM

You are leaving some facts out.
I am sure that Phoenix has it's share of retirees as many come from the snowbelts to keep there bones warm in old age in the valley year round.
Without having any facts to prove it I would bet that Phoenix has more retirees than Prescott per capita.
Think about it.
But I would not trade out crime rate for theirs, or their traffic.
Phoenix drivers overall to me are about the same as Southern CA was a few years back.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,526,263 times
I particularly notice how nice and helpful the store employees are and even some of the people at the court house and county offices. These are all people working every day, not retirees.

Even the ADOT people are nice to deal with.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:45 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,858,364 times
I don't doubt that people are nice in Prescott, as I work in a job that involves a lot of customer relations in Prescott. At the same time I have divisions in the Phoenix area and they are just as, if not more friendlier than some of the workers in Prescott.

I've been treated rudely in Prescott by waitresses, cashiers, post office employees, bank tellers, and on and on.

As a whole I will agree that Prescott tends to have a laid back attitude and the people tend to be a little nicer when compared to Phoenix but it is not a drastic difference to me. There are jerks everywhere, Prescott included, and some of these people work as cashiers, bank tellers, waitresses, etc.

When push comes to shove and when time is money, the Prescott workforce will be just as rude and cut throat as the Phoenix workforce. It is human nature. It is not as if Prescott has some type of supernatural aura around it. It has the same human beings, it's just that they might not be as stressed or in a rush as they are in Phoenix, but at times they turn ugly.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:57 PM

Perhaps some people's human nature gets a proper response at times?
Sometimes you get what you put out in return.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:50 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,486,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
I don't doubt that people are nice in Prescott, as I work in a job that involves a lot of customer relations in Prescott. At the same time I have divisions in the Phoenix area and they are just as, if not more friendlier than some of the workers in Prescott.

I've been treated rudely in Prescott by waitresses, cashiers, post office employees, bank tellers, and on and on.

As a whole I will agree that Prescott tends to have a laid back attitude and the people tend to be a little nicer when compared to Phoenix but it is not a drastic difference to me. There are jerks everywhere, Prescott included, and some of these people work as cashiers, bank tellers, waitresses, etc.

When push comes to shove and when time is money, the Prescott workforce will be just as rude and cut throat as the Phoenix workforce. It is human nature. It is not as if Prescott has some type of supernatural aura around it. It has the same human beings, it's just that they might not be as stressed or in a rush as they are in Phoenix, but at times they turn ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Perhaps some people's human nature gets a proper response at times?
Sometimes you get what you put out in return.
keninaz hit it. Im def more laid back in Prescott than here in the Phoenix area.

An I was in Prescott AGAIN today; still def more laid back.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:37 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,892,166 times
An old man was relaxing on his porch when a couple drove up in a car. The woman rolled down the window and said, "Old man, what's this neighborhood like? We're thinking about moving here." The old man said, "What was your neighborhood like?" "That's the problem," said the woman, "our neighborhood was terrible. Everyone was mean to each other and they were always bickering." The old man replied, "Well, this neighborhood is just like that." "What a shame," said the woman, "we'll look elsewhere."

A little while later, another couple drove by. The lady rolled down her window and said, "Excuse me kind sir, can you please tell us what this neighborhood is like? We're thinking about moving here." The old man said, "What was your neighborhood like?" "Well, we are very sad to leave it, our neighbors were wonderful! Everyone always helped each other out and everyone was as friendly as could be." The old man replied, "Well, this neighborhood is just like that."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott