Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 AM

34 posts, read 156,099 times

Advertisements

Okay, good to know. Wow. Such a change in mindset for this lifelong Minnesota (our license plate slogan is 'land of 10,000 lakes' and just about everywhere you go in MN there are lakes everywhere, and here in northern MN the lakes are very clean, you can see down through the water, but they are so damn cold even in summer it takes courage to swim in them!). I live a few blocks from Lake Superior (has enough water in it to flood the entire USA more than a foot deep). I will have to get used to desert country, quite a change. But then I imagine as a result you also do not have the mosquitoes we have that breed in lake waters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
This is a high-desert area. There are NO natural lakes in Prescott. Think about it, this is a desert. All the "lakes" in Prescott are "man-made". ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall999 View Post
But then I imagine as a result you also do not have the mosquitoes we have that breed in lake waters!
You would think, but not true. Arizona has the HIGHEST amount of West Nile Virus cases in the entire USA. We get standing water due to people leaving buckets and other items that cause them to breed unchecked. Plus, we don't get the cold weather that kills them off.

Monsoon rains, standing water, plus heat = mosquito's

Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
You would think, but not true. Arizona has the HIGHEST amount of West Nile Virus cases in the entire USA. We get standing water due to people leaving buckets and other items that cause them to breed unchecked. Plus, we don't get the cold weather that kills them off.

Monsoon rains, standing water, plus heat = mosquito's
AZ only had the highest in 2010. The number of cases vary dramatically from year to year and from state to state. For example, while AZ had 142 cases in 2010, AZ only had 20 cases in 2009. Here are some numbers to paint a more complete picure:

Year, High State, AZ Count
2003, 2947 (CO), 13 (AZ)
2004, 779 (CA), 391 (AZ)
2005, 880 (CA), 113 (AZ)
2006, 996 (ID), 150 (AZ)
2007, 576 (CO), 96 (AZ)
2008, 445 (CA), 114 (AZ)
2009, 115 (TX), 20 (AZ)
2010, 142 (AZ), 142 (AZ)

Here is the reference: CDC: West Nile Virus - Statistics, Surveillance, and Control > Case Count 2009

So, I would not get overly alarmed by West Nile Virus (WNV) in AZ as compared to other states. To put things in perspective, there are 307 million people in AZ. With an average of 130 cases per year, your chances of contracting WNV are 0.00004% per year. I'd be a little more worried about getting struck by lightning than contracting WNV.

As for mosquitoes... yes, they exist, but the most incredible thing that surprised us after we moved here is that there are incredibly few biting bugs. We were sitting on our deck after moving in and we realized that we were not getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. We did not have any repellant on. If we were in Maryland, we would have about a thousand bites each. Yet, in AZ - not a single bite. Incredible!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:41 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,014 times
I know we have a number of lake around here and I spend quite a bit of time around them.
I see very few mosquitoes however.
I saw far more around the delta area between SF and Sacramento where I was born and raised and fished.
I also understand that some states like MN and MI have lots of them during the summers also but I have not experienced them myself.
I know AK is bad in the summers with them and that the south can be really bad at times.
I have lived in many locations in AZ and I cannot say that they are a problem.
Do they carry disease, you get they can. What else is new?

Old 11-06-2010, 02:36 PM

533 posts, read 1,461,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
To put things in perspective, there are 307 million people in AZ. With an average of 130 cases per year, your chances of contracting WNV are 0.00004% per year.
Great post with statistical reference -- love it. However, 307 million people in AZ? Typo? That's the population of the US!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:05 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,014 times
Yes, a current search shows you are correct and AZ has just less than 7 million or so total.
I think most live in Phoenix and the Tucson areas.
The rest of the state is low density.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:39 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenjay View Post
Great post with statistical reference -- love it. However, 307 million people in AZ? Typo? That's the population of the US!
Yikes! My mistake. The 2009 AZ population is around 6,600,000 people. So, your chances of contracting WNV are closer to 0.002% per year - still incredibly low.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,638 times
I hope people don't take the incorrect & bad advice of some forum members and conduct any swimming or cliff jumping, both of which are deadly and illegal. The fact is you CANNOT swim in any of the lakes in the area. It is NOT allowed and is considered dangerous and lethal.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:07 PM

14 posts, read 56,930 times
Sucks, don't it! I asked this question too in the old acct (if I'm gone awhile I forget my info so made a new one! Sorry)...but I'm from Louisiana and lake swimming was as common as drinking iced tea. Then I lived in Page and there was the spectacular Lake Powell and swimming galore...then we moved here and WTH? You can't swim in any lake around here? Seriously?!

I do love Prescott Valley, it's a great little city...but it really sank in this passed summer that there's nowhere around to go swimming or lake playing or anything...made Page start calling me back. I think it's gonna win, especially after that Page thread and the pics!

All I know is Chino Valley has a pool that was in danger of being shut down.

I'm a lake girl. Quick! Somebody man make a swimming lake around here!

As for mosquitos, I kid you not, I've only seen one in the 2 years I've lived here now...and it was 3 nights ago in the kitchen. It's dead now, so back to 0. But coming from a place like Louisiana or Texas, it took a long time for me to accept there are mosquitos here...or there was one mosquito here...

..that's now dead

Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall999 View Post
Okay, good to know. Wow. Such a change in mindset for this lifelong Minnesota (our license plate slogan is 'land of 10,000 lakes' and just about everywhere you go in MN there are lakes everywhere, and here in northern MN the lakes are very clean, you can see down through the water, but they are so damn cold even in summer it takes courage to swim in them!). I live a few blocks from Lake Superior (has enough water in it to flood the entire USA more than a foot deep). I will have to get used to desert country, quite a change. But then I imagine as a result you also do not have the mosquitoes we have that breed in lake waters!
I lived down south (Va/Dc) and I missed having lakes to swim in. Now they have this brown water that is warm and mucky and you can swim but its not the same.. having spent summers in Maine (and now living here) I was used to having lakes every 5 miles that are crystal clear, cool, and sandy..

But with that said I too am looking at Prescott.. I am older now... dont really swim in the lake too much and would really enjoy a pool..

So the question remains....

Where is the closest LEGAL swimming hole to Prescott.. 1hr 5hrs ect..

visiting my friend in Phoenix we would drive out to caynon lake and boat and swim.. that was pretty nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott