Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,296 times

Advertisements

StoneRidge homeowners await bankruptcy announcement - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

StoneRidge might see their dues double to around $2,000 a year per home. This all because of a pending bankruptcy issue. Tough news for those in the subdivision, especially in these though economic times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,021 times
I agree, this is an unfortunate situation. I heard that SunCor was negotiating with Shea, but Shea could not obtain financing for the purchase.

As for the CFD, presumably Larry Tarkowski knows what he's talking about. He's a smart guy. That said, unless the CFD contract states that the current homeowners are jointly and severably liable for the debt service, then the debt service could be frozen and tied up in bankruptcy court. It's more likely that the homeowners will have to eat the bill though.

Empire and Townsend went bankrupt in Quailwood and those CFD fees did not go up that I am aware of. Perhaps in Quailwood, the homeowners were already paying the full amount.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
I agree, this is an unfortunate situation. I heard that SunCor was negotiating with Shea, but Shea could not obtain financing for the purchase.

As for the CFD, presumably Larry Tarkowski knows what he's talking about. He's a smart guy. That said, unless the CFD contract states that the current homeowners are jointly and severably liable for the debt service, then the debt service could be frozen and tied up in bankruptcy court. It's more likely that the homeowners will have to eat the bill though.

Empire and Townsend went bankrupt in Quailwood and those CFD fees did not go up that I am aware of. Perhaps in Quailwood, the homeowners were already paying the full amount.
I believe the money issue in Stoneridge is due to the high cost of maintaining the golf course. Golf courses = high maintenance costs. Of course they pass these costs down to the homeowner who resides in that subdivision.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times
It would appear that the developer made their money and is ready to bail.
Why couldn't the homeowners form their own HOA and take it over themselves?
I am not a fan of HOAs myself and don't like them, but it may be an alternative for the owners within the subdivision.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
I believe the money issue in Stoneridge is due to the high cost of maintaining the golf course. Golf courses = high maintenance costs. Of course they pass these costs down to the homeowner who resides in that subdivision.
The golf course is public, so Prescott Valley foots the bill for that. The CFD was created to pay for the StoneRidge bridge and for the subdivision streets and sewers.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
It would appear that the developer made their money and is ready to bail.
Why couldn't the homeowners form their own HOA and take it over themselves?
I am not a fan of HOAs myself and don't like them, but it may be an alternative for the owners within the subdivision.
There is already an HOA. In addition to the Community Facilities District (CFD) which paid for roads and sewers (~$900/yr/home), the HOA costs a little more than $50/mo/home (~$600/yr/home). The HOA covers the cost of the community center (gym, pool, tennis, etc.), policing the rules, and maintaining ownership records. The CFD isn't really something to be managed, it's basically an additional mortgage payment for the infrastructure.

Some subdivision developers eat the cost of the infrastructure (such as Granville, Viewpoint, and Prescott Country Club) others pass the cost onto the homeowners in the form of a property tax (such as StoneRidge, Pronghorn, and Quailwood). In subdivisions with a CFD, the buyer is basically paying the equivalent of an additional $15,000 per house as compared to a subdivision without a CFD. If the homeowner were to trade the $900/yr CFD cost for additional mortgage, that would translate to $15,000. $15,000 amortized over 30 years at 5% = $75/mo = $900/yr.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:03 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times
Very informative, thanks for the information.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:07 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
I lived in one subdivision with HOA, never again.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I lived in one subdivision with HOA, never again.
They're not all bad. The self-managed HOAs are usually pretty reasonable. The ones managed by third parties can be oppressive. Sometimes the management companies get overzealous.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
My main reason for dealing with them is that it is a sort of "zoning" ordinance. IOW, what if I have a $300K-400K house with some property and then next door is a double wide. Doesn't that affect the value of my property? Brian, am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott