Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times

Advertisements

Paulden is not in the Verde Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 12:30 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
He makes a good point about testing the water.
Another good reason for buying one that is already there to me. You can test it.
Thank you

Also, I would have the soil tested for Radon/Radium. This area does have soil/granites that contain naturally occurring radioactive minerals containing the elements uranium and thorium. These elements are unstable and decay, eventually becoming a new element called radium which then decays to the element radon. Radon is strongly radioactive as it emits high energy alpha particles.

Soil tests showed elevated concentrations of uranium exceeding 30 parts per billion.

The EPA estimates that 1 in 15 U.S. homes contain a high level of the Radon gas and is considered to be the second leading cause of lung cancer in the country (epa.gov/rado/radontest.html).

Old 03-27-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Paulden is not in the Verde Valley.

You are thinking in non-geological terms.

Please read the quote carefully. The Big Chino Aquifer contains arsenic rich Supai Sandstone which eroded and was red-deposited in the Verde Alluvium Formation. The Big Chino aquifer sits below Chino Valley and Paulden. The high arsenic counts were found in wells there because of this.

"An important limiting factor for the long-term Verde Valley water supply is base flow entering the middle Verde watershed at the Paulden streamgage plus the groundwater flow entering the river between the Paulden and Clarkdale streamgages..."

Read page #2:

http://www.vwa.org/newsletters/vwa_verde-currents-april-june2010.pdf (broken link)

The Verde Valley in geological and groundwater terms are interconnected with Paulden and the Big Chino Aquifer.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times
Good points taken, but please take a look around before you decide where you want to live in the Tri-City area. Some developments in CV, have over 1/2 acre lots (like where I live) and you get the premise of country living. There are some good buys here in CV..in fact, fantastic buys.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,747 times
I'm so glad I found this series of posts! My husband and I currently live in Washington State and want to retire to the Prescott area. We think buying now while interest and prices are pretty low would be smarter than waiting for the 10 years it'll take for us to retire. We have friends and family who could care take the place. Anyway, our Realtor sent us a listing in Paulden which we like but I'm trying to turn over every rock before we waste her time and ours. So finding out about the potential arsenic in the wells is great knowledge! How about this, too.... looking at the aerial, the property we're looking at has a Burlington North Sante Fe RR track about a mile to the south .... where can I find out about the train schedule, we don't want a train blasting through in the middle of the night and wrecking our peace and quiet....

Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarbert View Post
I'm so glad I found this series of posts!

looking at the aerial, the property we're looking at has a Burlington North Sante Fe RR track about a mile to the south .... where can I find out about the train schedule, we don't want a train blasting through in the middle of the night and wrecking our peace and quiet....
The train line is active and IMHO, I would NOT live near a train line. The noise travels far, especially at night, I would look elsewhere and not near the train line.

I forgot to mention, make sure you check the FEMA maps before you buy. A lot of flood plains out in Paulden and Chino Valley. Don't just look at the 100-year flood, makes sure you check the 500-year flood plain map. The crazy weather patterns we have been getting makes the 500-year flood more plausible in our lifetime.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:11 AM

533 posts, read 1,461,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
I forgot to mention, make sure you check the FEMA maps before you buy. A lot of flood plains out in Paulden and Chino Valley. Don't just look at the 100-year flood, makes sure you check the 500-year flood plain map. The crazy weather patterns we have been getting makes the 500-year flood more plausible in our lifetime.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarbert View Post
.. looking at the aerial, the property we're looking at has a Burlington North Sante Fe RR track about a mile to the south .... where can I find out about the train schedule, we don't want a train blasting through in the middle of the night and wrecking our peace and quiet....
A train schedule is only good for today or tomorrow, as far as times go. I would be more concerned about frequency. They are unlikely to increase the number of trains per day, so decide what you can live with and accept the possibility that times could change.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,914,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
A train schedule is only good for today or tomorrow, as far as times go. I would be more concerned about frequency. They are unlikely to increase the number of trains per day, so decide what you can live with and accept the possibility that times could change.
With GAS PRICES RISING, more people will be riding on trains and more trains will be running on those tracks day and night to keep up with the demand. There will be MORE NOISE than in the past 100 years. A new bridge might have to be built near where you are going to buy to make sure that the train stays above the 500 year flood plane.

Just poking a little fun.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,096 times
Brian, you almost had me going, there. As in phoning my broker to buy railroad stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott