U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Should the mountain lion have been killed?
Yes 16 32.00%
No 5 10.00%
It should have been relocated, not killed. 29 58.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-14-2011, 02:57 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,731,271 times
Default Mountain Lion Killed in Prescott - Huge Controversy

Lion killed after climbing into tree on city golf course - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

Over 180 reader comments have been posted in the Prescott Courier, this is really causing a HUGE controversy in Prescott. The mountain lion was shot and killed after being spotted in the Antelope Hills golf course area. It did not attack anyone or show aggression towards people, it was just spotted in the residential area so Fish and Game shot and killed it.

Unread 08-14-2011, 09:32 AM

1,591 posts, read 1,848,444 times
The option in your poll allow for nothing regarding the decision that Game and Fish have within their guidelines.
This cat showed no fear of humans and did not run when confronted.
That's dangerous and can only be a matter of time before a domestic animal or child is attacked.
The lions are killed here in AZ by Fish and Game for many reasons.
They attack cattle and sheep too as they are easy prey.
Then again you can't count the ones that are shot for attacking cattle by other than Fish and Game.
I know in the local gun stores in Cochise County where I lived if a rancher was having problems with one he would just let a gun store know and the owner would spread the word to get the right people out to the property to dispatch the cat.
I read the comments in the paper, and I get a kick out of how someone moved here and into a track home that in turn invaded their territory.
We all at one time moved into their area, like it or not. At first we came for the lumber and mining here.
It's a problem you can discuss all you want, and animal lovers will hate the issue regardless. But the fact remains even if that cat were relocated if he returned and attacked a child Fish and Game and the State would be sued.
Just the facts.
For me it's not a controversy. Like it or not they followed the guidelines.

Unread 08-14-2011, 09:35 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,088,200 times
A cougar that has no fear of humans is very likely to attack and eat a human. It is just a matter of time until it kills. This animal showed no fear, and was killed to prevent a human death.

I have been stalked by a cougar, and it is chilling, so my perspective is a little different than some.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Edit: Wow, Ken, we wrote these independently, but it seems from the same page in the hymnal.

Unread 08-14-2011, 09:46 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,136,075 times
I loved the comment where someone asked, "What would you say if the mountain lion attacked and killed a child? ...Oh well, we came in to its territory. It was just behaving naturally. No need to kill it."

I suppose they could have tranquilized it and taken it to the heritage zoo. I don't know whether that would have been feasible or not. Ultimately, Game and Fish was protecting cititzens from a possible future mauling and protecting themselves from a certain future lawsuit.

Unread 08-14-2011, 10:11 AM

82 posts, read 113,806 times
The way I see it's easyer to shoot and kill. Fish and game have choices to be made? Removing the cat and placing it in area where it can live in it's own enviroment would have been a better choice.
It remines me of how some police departments behave. Instead of taseing someone who has become a nusions and finding ways to help this person, shootem. Ask questions later. My $.02

Unread 08-14-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Mcconnell View Post
Removing the cat and placing it in area where it can live in it's own enviroment would have been a better choice.
That usually doesn't work out. Cats are territorial. One cat kills the other, or they both get super-aggressive.

Unread 08-14-2011, 10:32 AM

I just don't think the average citizen realizes that AZ and the feds at one time hunted these animals on a regular basis. They really took their toll on herds of animals.
My wife's grandfather made a good living for the feds hunting these cats at one time. This family picture was taken in 1937. Our nephew is currently employed by Fish and Game in the Mount Graham area doing the same job today.

Unread 08-14-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I just don't think the average citizen realizes that AZ and the feds at one time hunted these animals on a regular basis.
And, there is the key to the problem. I used to see only the hindquarters and tail of a cat. They were afraid of humans, because they were hunted.

Now, since they are no longer hunted, the predator/prey relationship is reversed. We are prey, and they see us as below them on the food chain.

I mentioned earlier that I have been stalked. That is the time I knew about it. There may have been times when I was unaware. I know several hikers who changed their patterns due to being stalked.

A few years ago, a family was in a park in OC CA, and took some pictures of each other smiling at the camera. Later that day, a cat killed a child. Some time later, the family was looking over the photos, and one picture clearly showed a cat hiding in the bushes within leaping room of one of the children.

It is truly chilling for a parent or grandparent to even think of that, but my guess is that there is a lot more stalking than we know about. I often broom the dirt around me at night just to have good tracks to look at in the morning. I have found cat tracks in the morning, but cannot say if it was just sniffing or really stalking.

One time, a male cat was peeing all around our campsite at dusk. I believe he was marking the site as his. I think he wanted our dog. Or maybe us.

Unread 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM

I think we would have had much more of a controversy if that lion had been left alone and got someones dog later.
Just my opinion.

Unread 08-14-2011, 01:13 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,731,271 times
Interesting responses.

According to the AZ Fish & Game, here in Arizona there has been ZERO, I repeat ZERO confirmed mountain lion deaths since 1890. With only TWO confirmed attacks resulting in injury, no deaths, in the past 120 years here in AZ.

According to the Fish & Game, for the ENTIRE USA and including the whole CANADIAN Providences, since 1890 - 2004 (114 years), there has only been 20 fatalities caused by mountain lions. Think about that.

Confirmed mountain lion attacks in the United States and Canada 1890 - Present

Now ask yourself, is the mountain lion "threat" more of our fear of them and our wives tales vs. the factual statistics? The answer is quite clear.

BTW - I voted to relocate it. They should have tagged it with a collar and moved it. If it came back to a populated area and stalked the area with human population, then I would have tracked it and caught it and placed it in a zoo or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott