U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2011, 12:57 PM

755 posts, read 765,887 times
Accoridng to the EPA Radon problems can be fixed fairly easily and inexpensively
You can fix a radon problem.
Radon reduction systems work and they are not too costly. Some radon reduction systems can reduce radon levels in your home by up to 99%. Even very high levels can be reduced to acceptable levels.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 03:56 PM

509 posts, read 839,279 times
i was just using that as how back in 50 real estate people used blacks as "block Buster " with their tactics . even now those same type of tactics could be used in reverse . not very many people are knowledgible enough to see for themselves what the real facts are and could be scared away for that reason .
P,S. all typing errors are mine . today my fingers do not want to obey me .

Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,985,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Accoridng to the EPA Radon problems can be fixed fairly easily and inexpensively
You can fix a radon problem.
The first step is KNOWING you have a radon problem. Most people living in that area have NO CLUE that they are sitting on top of a uranium mountain and that radon gas is permeating beneath them. Not to mention arsenic also, but that is another topic for another thread.

The cost to rid the radon will vary but estimates are around $2k - $15k, depending on amount, location, size of home, etc.

Last edited by DellNec; 08-26-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 08-26-2011, 12:56 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,404,299 times
A vent fan in the crawl space works pretty well, for a lot less money.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
A vent fan in the crawl space works pretty well, for a lot less money.
I believe most homes are built on a slab in that area, therefore no crawl spaces.

I also believe that 95% of the residents there have no idea about the radon. I highly doubt that they were made aware of the radon prior to buying their homes. I would be very curious to see the lung cancer rates for homeowners in the Granite Dells area that have lived in their homes for at least 10+ years.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
I believe most homes are built on a slab in that area.
Yet another reason not to have a slab floor.

Some builders will lay a membrane down before pouring a slab floor.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
Yet another reason not to have a slab floor.

Some builders will lay a membrane down before pouring a slab floor.
Crawl spaces have their pros/cons as do slab floors. If you live in a rural spot crawl spaces become a haven for animals, rodents, bugs, spiders, rattlesnakes, etc., as they provide a nice dry and cool shelter for them. Personally, I am not a big fan of crawl spaces. I know they provide ease of access to plumbing and help with radon but a slab when properly engineered will outperform a crawl space 10 to 1.

When I built my home in Prescott I had my lot tested for radon and it showed no radon. I had my slab engineered and they did a PTS (Post-tension-slab), which is one of the best foundations one can do, and as they say the foundation of a home is key to a well-built home.

The key point is to test for radon BEFORE you buy and build and don't rely on the realtors as they don't care about anything except making the sale and getting their commission.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:40 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,136,862 times
Never owned a slab floor in my life and owned 5 homes.
Just were not common where I came from.
Old building style I guess.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 PM

6,330 posts, read 10,328,446 times
Quote:
The cost to rid the radon will vary but estimates are around $2k - $15k, depending on amount, location, size of home, etc.
That is a complete lie. Standard costs for radon remediation are stated all around the internet as being between $500 and $2500 depending on the home. Here are two examples.

INFILTEC: Radon Mitigation FAQ

Radon Reduction, Radon Abatement, Radon Level, Radon Gas Protection, Safe Radon Level

Furthermore there are tons of discussion forums where members talk about their costs to remediate and the costs are ALWAYS in that range.

We had a sub-slab evacuation unit installed in our house in NY for $1300. Slab foundations are NO problem.

It is clear that the gross exaggerations presented in this thread are NOT made as an attempt to impart information by a "concerned citizen", but are made as a mean-spirited attempt to cause fear. If DellNec really knew anything about Radon, he would KNOW what the standard costs are.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
If you live in a rural spot crawl spaces become a haven for animals, rodents, bugs, spiders, rattlesnakes, etc.,.
One of the reasons I like crawl spaces is ventilation of potential radon gas. My vents have 1/4 inch mesh screens as does the metal door to the crawlspace. I had extra vents installed to catch the prevailing winds, just in case of radon.

Underneath, so far, only a wolf spider or two. Have you ever seen them by flashlight? If I ever see a black widow, there will be finer screen installed the next day.

Is there a respirator I can wear when down there to avoid breathing radon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott