Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,014 times

Advertisements

I certainly don't understand why anyone would expect a realtor of any kind to give full disclosure on everything in the world there is to fear in life just because you are buying a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 AM

38 posts, read 68,275 times
Just a note...on the map, Arizona is moderate for radon levels, but if you look on the CDC website map AZ is one of the lowest states for overall cancer. If you map the lung cancer occurance, they are still at the bottom right next to states like CA with the worst air quality.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 AM

38 posts, read 68,275 times
Cancer - United States Cancer Statistics (USCS) Data - 2007 Cancers Grouped by State and Region

Old 08-23-2011, 11:40 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieGeek View Post
Just a note...on the map, Arizona is moderate for radon levels, but if you look on the CDC website map AZ is one of the lowest states for overall cancer. If you map the lung cancer occurance, they are still at the bottom right next to states like CA with the worst air quality.
Excellent observations, TechieGeek. This supports my belief that the whole radon issue has been entirely overblown by government agencies. The CDC estimates of cancer rates due to radon are ten-times as high for smokers and non-smokers. So where's the real problem here -- cigarettes! The radon influence on cancer rates for smokers is so low that it's probably noise. In other words, minuscule to non-existent. Even using CDC estimates for non-smokers radon deaths are evidently rare. I've never met anyone who knows a non-smoker that supposedly died of radon. (Although the OP has claimed in previous threads that he knows many. )

Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Excellent observations, TechieGeek. This supports my belief that the whole radon issue has been entirely overblown by government agencies.
Agreed! I'm fairly convinced that the EPA grossly overestimates in order to increase their funding. I was thinking that it would be fun to add up all the likelihood of death estimates that the government produces. I bet if you add them all up, the total estimated yearly deaths would exceed the popoulation!

Old 08-23-2011, 01:32 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Excellent observations, TechieGeek. This supports my belief that the whole radon issue has been entirely overblown by government agencies. The CDC estimates of cancer rates due to radon are ten-times as high for smokers and non-smokers. So where's the real problem here -- cigarettes! The radon influence on cancer rates for smokers is so low that it's probably noise. In other words, minuscule to non-existent. Even using CDC estimates for non-smokers radon deaths are evidently rare. I've never met anyone who knows a non-smoker that supposedly died of radon. (Although the OP has claimed in previous threads that he knows many. )
Boy oh boy.

The cause of death listing is "lung cancer". They would not list the cause of death as "death by radon", even though the radon caused the lung cancer.

The same goes for cigarettes, the cause of death would be ruled "lung cancer", not "death by cigarettes".

Old 08-23-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
Agreed! I'm fairly convinced that the EPA grossly overestimates in order to increase their funding. I was thinking that it would be fun to add up all the likelihood of death estimates that the government produces. I bet if you add them all up, the total estimated yearly deaths would exceed the popoulation!
Yeah, that's the ticket, conspiracy theories. Just like that "arsenic" stuff, it's really not that dangerous. Shoot, Brian here says he drinks 5 gallons of arsenic a day and he is healthy as a horse.

I also think that uranium stuff is not radioactive like the government says it is. The EPA overestimates the stuff to increase funding. I sprinkle uranium on my cereal, it's good stuff.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Boy oh boy.

The cause of death listing is "lung cancer". They would not list the cause of death as "death by radon", even though the radon caused the lung cancer.

The same goes for cigarettes, the cause of death would be ruled "lung cancer", not "death by cigarettes".

Nor would it be ruled bad air like the get in the big cities or asbestos as they don't want to get involved in the lawsuits and the testimony that would be required.

The Army didn't tell me I might get killed when they drafted me either~~but I knew of a possible potential hazard at the time.
Sometimes you just have to figure things out for yourself.
Even your Mother may not have told you the truth about life.

Last edited by keninaz; 08-23-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Nor would it be ruled bad air like the get in the big cities or asbestos as they don't want to get involved in the lawsuits and the testimony that would be required.

The Army didn't tell me I might get killed when they drafted me either~~but I knew of a possible potential hazard at the time.
Sometimes you just have to figure things out for yourself.
Even your Mother may not have told you the truth about life.
My friend who served in the military (Navy) for over 30 years is dying, he is Stage 3. He has lung cancer. He says that he was around A LOT of asbestos during his military service. I hope he can survive through this but if he dies, his cause of death will be ruled "lung cancer", not "death by asbestos caused by his military service." Even though that was truly the cause of his death (exposure to asbestos due to military work).

Just like you scoff at radon, there were people like you who scoffed at asbestos and inhaled that stuff like it was going out of style. Well, those people are dead because of their asbestos exposure. Most didn't die 1 or 5 years after exposure, they died 10+ years after their exposure to asbestos. That same goes for radon. You don't die the next day, it takes years.

With Radon, it is dangerous, to believe otherwise is to walk around with tin foil on your head and talk to rocks. One can scoff all they want about it's danger but Radon kills people and it is the #1 cause of ling cancer deaths in non-smokers in the U.S.

Remember, Uranium is radioactive, it will kill you. The by-product of decaying uranium is radon gas, which is also radioactive and will kill you, albeit more slowly than uranium, but still just as deadly.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Yep lots of asbestos laggings on the pipes and all over the ships until the 70s when they started removing that stuff.
I worked for the Navy as a Civilian after I got out of the Army until I took early retirement when our base closed.
I was also exposed to radiation as part of my job, closely monitored of course.
I did not get near the exposure of many as I was not in a high exposure area like some as I worked electronics.
I do know one that worked a high rad area and developed colon cancer about 4 years ago long after he retired. He caught it early and had surgery and is fine now.
Any link there, who knows.
I know others that died at an early age that worked at the shipyard with me but I don't know all the causes of deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott