Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:55 AM

240 posts, read 420,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
Does Prescott have a walkable downtown area? I'm going to visit AZ soon, checking out possible places to move, but I'm focusing on the more liberal, walkable areas. Does Prescott fit the bill at least somewhat?

Thanks!

Yes, it's very walkable. You can walk around the whole downtown and get a great workout.

There is more to do in Prescott and I find it very much relaxing, to me, when I go to visit (which is 1-2 times a week).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I thought it was the opposite: 60% conservative, 40% liberal. I guess I was wrong.

Yeah, me too, with all the churches there are all over there. I thought it was more conservative than liberal.

Seems to be a church on every other block there. And here too, in Prescott Valley. There are 3 churches, where I live, that is less than 3 blocks from my house!

Old 09-11-2011, 08:26 AM

509 posts, read 1,697,920 times
as a town i like Prescott . whoever laid out the town must have been drinking . the streets meander every which way with no rhyme or reason . in soite of all that i like to drive through there .

Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,538,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
as a town i like Prescott . whoever laid out the town must have been drinking . the streets meander every which way with no rhyme or reason .
Old Prescott was laid out for foot and horse travel. The mountains also dictated where a road went and didn't. Many roads were dead end. Later, they were connected. This was not a big deal until more folks got cars.

But, yes, people drank more in those days, especially politicians.

You can see old Prescott maps at the Charlotte Hall Museum.

As for liberal vs conservative, I find the conservatives to be more noticable due to the passion of their views. They tend to be extreme conservatives. The liberals do not seem as passionate. Or perhaps they just keep their heads down.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:24 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,576 times
To get a feel for an area's liberalism/conservatism I check the NY Times 2008 Presidential Election Map. You can drill down to the county level.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:59 PM

172 posts, read 422,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I thought it was the opposite: 60% conservative, 40% liberal. I guess I was wrong.
Arizona is by and large moderate to conservative regardless of party affiliation.

Arizona voters: According to the Arizona Secretary of States Office for most recent survey - Arizona party affilliation breakdown: 35.5 Republican, 32.5 Independents, 31.1 Democrats

Prescott voter apathy: In the last Prescott primary less than half of registered voters bothered to vote )c:

Arizona voter registration trends: Democratic registrants falling and Independents gaining.

Prescott area has two Unitarian Universalist fellowships, but not to worry, Christian houses of worship are more than ten times that number (c:

Last edited by bongofury; 09-11-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
as a town i like Prescott . whoever laid out the town must have been drinking . the streets meander every which way with no rhyme or reason . in soite of all that i like to drive through there .

I do agree with you on that and you have to look everywhere before crossing every intersection or block, it seems like, to make sure you don't get hit.

But it's a great town.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I would be interested in an update on the topics discussed:

1) Which are the most walkable areas of Prescott. I don't mean "like Whiskey Row downtown." I mean, living in Prescott, where are the neighborhoods that are easiest to use on foot for normal daily destinations, i.e. grocery shopping.

2) After the recent election (2016) what is the area's political breakdown (Dem, Ind, Rep)?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:25 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I would be interested in an update on the topics discussed:

1) Which are the most walkable areas of Prescott. I don't mean "like Whiskey Row downtown." I mean, living in Prescott, where are the neighborhoods that are easiest to use on foot for normal daily destinations, i.e. grocery shopping.

2) After the recent election (2016) what is the area's political breakdown (Dem, Ind, Rep)?

Thanks in advance.
1) Walkable areas defined by proximity to a grocery store is challenging. The most walkable area would be near the courthouse. However, there is no grocery store within walking distance. Another possibility would be the neighborhoods near the intersection of Willow Lake and Willow Creek. There is a Fry's grocery store there and there is a trail the circles most of the lake. Also near the corner of Rosser and Willow Creek could work.

2) Here are the results from the 2016 election. They should be pretty representative of the political breakdown. http://www.yavapai.us/Portals/26/Ele...sults_Post.pdf

Old 12-05-2016, 12:39 PM

558 posts, read 971,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
The most walkable area would be near the courthouse. However, there is no grocery store within walking distance.
If you consider Sprouts to be a grocery store then there's one going in soon. In opposite directions, there's a Fry's and a Safeway, each about a mile and a half from downtown.

I live a mile from downtown and hike to the library and places like Walgreens next door to where the Sprouts in going in. I do have to climb about 300 feet going home, but that just keeps me young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott