Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 PM

140 posts, read 676,373 times

Advertisements

Does Prescott have a walkable downtown area? I'm going to visit AZ soon, checking out possible places to move, but I'm focusing on the more liberal, walkable areas. Does Prescott fit the bill at least somewhat?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:50 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
Does Prescott have a walkable downtown area? I'm going to visit AZ soon, checking out possible places to move, but I'm focusing on the more liberal, walkable areas. Does Prescott fit the bill at least somewhat?

Thanks!
The downtown square area is only 2 blocks long, so yes, it is VERY walkable.

As far as "liberal", if you mean politics, Prescott is about 60% liberal / 40% conservative.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
I thought it was the opposite: 60% conservative, 40% liberal. I guess I was wrong.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:46 PM

42 posts, read 89,776 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Walking downtown is quite an enjoyable experience. Always a lot of foot traffic when the weather is nice enough.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM

140 posts, read 676,373 times
Are most of the businesses in the downtown?
One of you mentioned that it's pleasant to walk downtown when the weather is good, isn't it pretty good most of the year?

What's your average high in the Summer?
Does it snow a lot in the winter?
Can you tell me more about the weather?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,224 times
Quote:
Are most of the businesses in the downtown?
No. The majority of businesses are outside of the square. The downtown area consists mainly of the jail/courthouse and then Whiskey Row, and mostly touristy trinket shops. You have a few restaurants that cater to the tourists .

Quote:
One of you mentioned that it's pleasant to walk downtown when the weather is good, isn't it pretty good most of the year?

Prescott is NOT Hawaii.
We don't have a "moderate" temperate throughout the year. We have heat (95F-100F) and we have cold (10F) winter snow and ice. While Prescott is considerably more moderate than say Chicago or Denver, out of all the seasons, I believe the winter is the harshest next to summer. (Except this summer we broke A LOT of heat records).

Ideal weather in Prescott is from April/May through September. October is hit or miss with November getting cold and when it does snow, the downtown square becomes an ice skating rink.

I would recommend checking out the National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report and find out about the weather in Prescott but here is a quick breakdown:

Average Hi/Low Temps:

October: 70F - 39F
November: 60F - 29F
December: 52F - 23F
January: 51F - 23F
February: 54F - 26F
March: 58F - 30F
April: 65F - 35F
May: 74F - 43F
June: 85F - 51F
July: 88F - 58F
August: 86F - 57F

Record High = 105F
Record Low = -21F below zero

Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
As far as "liberal", if you mean politics, Prescott is about 60% liberal / 40% conservative.
According to the Courier:
44.2% Republican
31.8% Independent
23% Democrat

Independents now outnumber Democrats in Arizona - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

Old 09-10-2011, 08:36 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
There are local neighborhoods that you can walk to grocery stores and such that are level without having hills to walk. And there are hills here in town. At least based on your inquiry I am thinking that's what you are looking for?
The town, like most western towns, is spread out and although only some 45k in population is some 6 miles or more across.
The town is the original territorial capital before we became a state and has some history and an older side of town which the tourists favor in the summers. But it also has a newer side too.

And here are some more WX stats to look at~

Monthly Total Snowfall, PRESCOTT, ARIZONA

Monthly Averages for Prescott, AZ (86303) - weather.com

Old 09-10-2011, 10:21 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
No. The majority of businesses are outside of the square. The downtown area consists mainly of the jail/courthouse and then Whiskey Row, and mostly touristy trinket shops. You have a few restaurants that cater to the tourists .
My own take of the downtown area is, yes, there are more bars and touristy places than many towns, but there are still "ordinary" businesses and some good restaurants, some of which are favorites of locals. We watch the paper to see what band is where, and so forth. We park a coupla blocks from Whiskey Row, though.

Last edited by wretched wrench; 09-10-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-10-2011, 10:30 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
We watch the paper to see what band is where, and so forth. We park a coupla blocks from Whiskey Row, though.
Has anyone seen a comparison of the number of bands per restaurant in Prescott vs. other areas? It seems like Prescott has a huge number of bands, which is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott