U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 12:33 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,518,051 times

Advertisements

Clear goal: Ongoing testing aims to improve water quality at Watson Lake - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

"Watson Lake - along with Granite Creek, which feeds it - has been on a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) list of "impaired waters" since about 2004, because of elevated levels of nitrogen, dissolved oxygen, and pH. Not only does the lake not meet water-quality standards for swimming, but its "nutrients" or pollution also contribute to the masses of algae that crop up in the lake every summer."

Why would anyone want to swim in there anyway? It's a man-made reservoir that is fed by Granite Creek. Everyone knows that Granite Creek is nasty because it passes through residential areas and a lot of human waste, along with cow/livestock waste gets emptied into it. The elevated amounts of nitrogen are mostly due to livestock waste (aka - cows) and of course fertilizers. Most of Arizona's creeks and waters have been destroyed due to "open range" as cows are nasty and dumb animals that urinate and defecate into their own food and water supply. That is what happens when you breed cows for size and not for intelligence.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 09:19 AM

3,260 posts, read 3,941,584 times
"That is what happens when you breed cows for size and not for intelligence"....

No offense intended, but what an asinine statement. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that this statement is based on zero farming/large animal experience.

Why would intelligence be of any concern to someone who is paid by the pound for their product ?

However, there is good reason to fence off free range access to flowing water, or any water for that matter and those who do not apply this range management practice to his/her operation are either behind the times, or they have no regard for our environment. As a retired farmer, my large livestock was fenced out of their water supply....except the sheep, unlike cattle, they don't like to get their feet wet. Most of the time cattle enter water to escape the pestering heel fly. I'd further suggest the most egregious offenders would probably be the Mom/Pop operations of just an animal or two, not because of a lack of concern, but because a lack of knowledge or funds to keep their livestock out of our water supply.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-17-2011, 12:00 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,153,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Most of Arizona's creeks and waters have been destroyed due to "open range" as cows are nasty and dumb animals that urinate and defecate into their own food and water supply. That is what happens when you breed cows for size and not for intelligence.
Perhaps a little overstatement there. ....................

Cattle are bred for a number of qualities. I have never heard of cattle being bred for intelligence, but the thought is interesting.

What would one do with an intelligent cow? How would you know?

I will disagree on cattle being nasty. I come from a long line of cattle people, grew up on a farm/feedlot, and (aside from a few aggressive bulls) I can't remember anything other than benign presences. We live on open range, and have not yet fenced the cattle out. They wander on and off my property with few problems. At least, so far.

Now, if you want to talk pollution, check out what a large feed lot does to the aquifer underneath. Vicksburg would be an interesting study. Or that dairy between Rich Hill and Congress. The EPA is stymied every time they try to clean up that mess.

Are there any feedlots affecting Granite Creek?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:53 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,518,051 times
The water quality and its primary source of pollution is from cows. There is an old saying in I heard about Arizona, "There is no place left where a cow has not trodden." Any body of water here in the state that is polluted can be most of the time be traced back to animal waste from cattle.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 12-17-2011 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott