Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:58 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,002 times

Advertisements

Prescott Valley teen scene: On the prowl for pastimes, kids dream of the perfect nocturnal hangout - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

"It's a small town; there's nothing to do."

"The cops say if we're not going to watch a movie, we've got to go. So what do you do?" he said. You leave and go to a party. What's there? There's beer, drinks, smoking, drugs - and we get a hard time for wanting to kick it here."

Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Welcome to small town America. It's the same story all over the country. Nothing to see here, move along...

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-05-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 02-05-2012, 09:55 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,539,019 times
Courier reporting at is best.

Bored teen-agers.

It's not just small towns that have this problem.

BTW, are teens in Prescott bored, too, or is this just a PV situation?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
Courier reporting at is best.

Bored teen-agers.

It's not just small towns that have this problem.

BTW, are teens in Prescott bored, too, or is this just a PV situation?
Prescott does not have as many teens as PV but yes, the problem is the same.

What is happening is that the teen drug use is skyrocketing out in PV and they know that part of the problem is the lack of things for teens to do in a small town.

Why doesn't Fain invest some money and build a teen recreation area?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:34 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Lot's of books to borrow at the library.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:10 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Prescott does not have as many teens as PV but yes, the problem is the same.

What is happening is that the teen drug use is skyrocketing out in PV and they know that part of the problem is the lack of things for teens to do in a small town.

Why doesn't Fain invest some money and build a teen recreation area?
You moved to a small town and spend an inordinate amount of time bemoaning every facet of small town life. These issues are not at all unique to Prescott or PV. Every small town in America has the same issues. When I lived in a small town in Oregon, many of the teenagers spent their spare time drinking, loitering, and shooting possums. Maybe time to recite that old Serenity Prayer. Accept what you chose when you moved there.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Having spent my early childhood on a farm without electricity and later childhood in a cow town mostly before television arrived, I am a trifle short of sympathy for these whiners and complainers.

I also have no memory of my sons being "bored", in a community much smaller than Prescott or PV.

I would suspect there is poor parenting as part of the alienated and bored PV youth package.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:55 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
You moved to a small town and spend an inordinate amount of time bemoaning every facet of small town life. These issues are not at all unique to Prescott or PV. Every small town in America has the same issues. When I lived in a small town in Oregon, many of the teenagers spent their spare time drinking, loitering, and shooting possums. Maybe time to recite that old Serenity Prayer. Accept what you chose when you moved there.
I grew up in small town Iowa...we shot deer and pheasants instead of possums though (while drinking). Best times of my life.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I grew up in small town Iowa..
Another Iowa boy, I see.

Quote:
.we shot deer and pheasants instead of possums though (while drinking). Best times of my life.
Drinking interfered with my hunting skills and accuracy.

Does anyone know or remember kids in towns the size of PV with the same complaints?

I wonder if the PV situation as reported is related to the PV demographics or the size of the town or just the times.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Many people think small towns are better for kids. Maybe so until they are teens. I too came from small town America. Nothing but drinking to do and we did a lot of that. Looking back, like anything, the years make it seem better than it really was.

We had a normal town too, with a lot of kids and people who cared about kids, supported the schools and did not run us off from everywhere we tried to gather. PV, like so much of small town AZ, is dominated by retirees who want nothing to do with teens and won't spend a nickel to provide places for them to go. I bet it is tough growing up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott