Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 AM

8 posts, read 13,299 times

Advertisements

Hello
My name is Peter Griffith and I just wanted to stop in and say high. I came out to Prescott a couple of times already and have fallen in love with it. I am a retired Fire Fighter from Va Beach and now work for the Southampton Coutny Sheriff's Office as both Courthouse Securtiy and Chaplain. In about two years I am throwing in the towel and moving out to where you guys are. I am 62 and looking forward to 1. no humidity 2. No cold weather (32 below) 3. No extremly hot weather (100 plus) 4. meet new people and start a brand new life on the road with my motorcycle again. I have a 11 acre place now and to much time is spent just keeping it up. Time to sell and go where I can get rid of the tractor and riding lawn mowers LOL! So I hope I dont intrude on anyone here for I want to know all about Presscott and what areas to look at for renting and such. We are not going to buy right off when we get there but take our time. My wife still teaches high school science and I would just like to relax.

Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,021 times
Hi Peter. Yes, the Prescott area has some wonderful aspects. I would suggest looking through some of the existing threads for information. You might want to then ask some more specific questions. It's a little hard to answer "tell me all about Prescott" and "where should I rent" when so much depends on what you personally like, the amount you want to pay, and many other factors.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,538,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter griffith View Post
Hello
looking forward to 1. no humidity
During the monsoon season (July, August, and into September), there is rain and humidity.

Below is a site that gives the humidity every hour for the last 3 days.

National Weather Service - NWS Flagstaff

Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
During the monsoon season (July, August, and into September), there is rain and humidity.

Below is a site that gives the humidity every hour for the last 3 days.

National Weather Service - NWS Flagstaff
Very true, but on the flip side, the humidity is only very high when it is raining or the temperature is lower. We still don't have 90+ degree 90+% humidity like the midwest or back east. That said, this has been a strange year. It's rained almost every day in early July. Usually the clouds build up, dump in the afternoon, and then it's sunny again. Of course we can use every drop we get - I'm not complaining.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter griffith View Post
2. No cold weather (32 below)

it will get below 32 many nights in the winter, but will warm up quickly when the sun appears....usually sunny in the winter, but will still be cool, especially in the shade....the low humidity does that....

good luck to you....I hope you can make it all work out....

Old 09-09-2012, 02:25 PM

What you call humidity I call relief!!! LOL~~~~ Winter below 32 here is te norm. Now not like up in yankee land but it gets darn cold to us southerners here. Snow!!!! Year before last 24 inches in one falling. Again to much for me. I have been to Prescott in the fall and in the spring (april and got married there) But all in all it is a far site cooler there and not as cold in the winter. If I could leave tommarow I would and head west. Looking forward to all the attradtion and stuff we dont have here on the east coast.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:50 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,538,353 times
Prescott weather is pretty hard to beat. It was my second choice.

Cuernavaca was getting worse worse every year.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 AM

I am a southerner all the way but now that I have gotten older it is time to move on. I love virginia and everythin about her but her love is a hard one on me at this point in my life. I am a retired Fire Fighter and now work for the county sheriffs office as a chaplain. But it is now time to retire and get the motor cycle fired up and move on and enjoy the good weather. If with what you call harsh you dont have hurricanes, north easterners, cold driving rains in the winter that chills to the bone and you can not get warm enough from. With old injures from my jobs like a broken back arms legs and 4 knee surgeries I am looking to get on with the program Oh and I forgot bad sinus. Anyway all that was just about cleared up both times when I was there for an extended stay. Next summer I will be there for two weeks to visit and see what is up for sale rent or lease

Peter

Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 AM

509 posts, read 1,697,920 times
you will most likely welcome . as long as you don't bring you rmiserable weather with you .

Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 PM

32 posts, read 73,975 times
Peter, I wish you and your wife a successful retirement to Prescott. My parents retired and moved here also, just this year, I followed them out to look out for them and to get myself out of the really cold winters. We found the mid to late summer to be surprissingly clouldy and wet however it seems to dry fast (monsoon season). And this summer my not be normal so don't take my report as the last word on that. I think you are doing the right thing by moving and renting. We built and then moved here and it has been a challenge. I wish we could have rented while we built or better yet rented and bought. I am no expert but I think there is a good deal of housing inventory so you should have allot to look at. We do not have a full year here yet so I cannot speak to the wintrers but we are from the midwest and I suspect that we will not distressed by a little snow and some cold nights. We were out here for a week in Febuary twice and shile it was below freezing in the morning but afternoon it was comfortable and seemed to be sunny most of the days we were here at that time of the year. I found that the physcial move was hard on my parents who were, well lets say a few years past retirement age, but they love the climate here so far. I like the green even though I think I would like the warmer winter weather further south in say Scottsdale.

I have a bad case of arthritis so I am sensitive to humidity and extreme cold. and I have found that so far I am taking far less pain medicine. If I could afford it I would have a winter place down in Scottsdale and stay here in Prescott in the summer.

In any case good luck to you and yours, retirement is a big step and an even moving bigger one. But trust me on this, if you are fiancially stable (saved and prepared) and if you are in good health and if you emerse yourself into the community you will have fun in retirement no matter where you go. I do not miss mowing twice a week and snow plowing and all that mess. One nice thing about the southwest is you can scale back all that work common to the east and truly retire and enjoy the finer things in life.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott