Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
theres obviously alot more than one man saying stuff -
The only people who are going to act like asses that way are just stupid rednecks. They deserve what they get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 06:49 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Congrats Prescott, you made the front page of digg:
http://digg.com/politics/AZ_school_d...anged_to_white

Old 06-05-2010, 07:38 PM

220 posts, read 411,819 times
Mod Cut: Personal You can't hide this story. Might as well air it out. This story was in USA Today, Yahoo, and every other national news organization. Except for Fox News of course.

Cat's out of the bag..... The ugly part of this community has shown itself to the World.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 06-06-2010 at 08:49 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 08:40 PM

16 posts, read 50,238 times
Well, it seems that the original poster isn't involved in this link, and the person who posted the second query in May doesn't seem to be either, yet the debate goes on. Here's what I would say: I've lived in Prescott. There are some great things about the community, and there are some real downers about it as well. Yes, there is racism there-I personally knew someone there who was. (I do not in anyway share that person's beliefs on the subject). But I think you would be hard pressed to find a community that was entirely lacking in racists. It seems to be a societal evil, and is certainly not restricted to a particular community. There are so many rehab facilities there because there are so many drug addicts up there. Again, not something I have personally ever struggled with, but I am definitely in a position to say it is so. I think with any community, there will be things you will like, things you will not- things you can tolerate, and things you can not. My advice would be to visit the place yourself, but more than once. Would I ever live there again? No, but for some this may be a good place to live.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eula3 View Post
Well, it seems that the original poster isn't involved in this link, and the person who posted the second query in May doesn't seem to be either, yet the debate goes on. Here's what I would say: I've lived in Prescott. There are some great things about the community, and there are some real downers about it as well. Yes, there is racism there-I personally knew someone there who was. (I do not in anyway share that person's beliefs on the subject). But I think you would be hard pressed to find a community that was entirely lacking in racists. It seems to be a societal evil, and is certainly not restricted to a particular community. There are so many rehab facilities there because there are so many drug addicts up there. Again, not something I have personally ever struggled with, but I am definitely in a position to say it is so. I think with any community, there will be things you will like, things you will not- things you can tolerate, and things you can not. My advice would be to visit the place yourself, but more than once. Would I ever live there again? No, but for some this may be a good place to live.
I just wanted to comment on the rehab centers in Prescott. I can't really say how many there are but I know, for sure, of two. One for females and one for males. There are people from all over the county, and even some from Phoenix, who are housed there and they aren't all from Prescott. I used to work at a little cafe near one of them that hired women who were there for treatment because they are required to get jobs and pay 'room and board'. One of my co-workers was from New Mexico. I know that there are some halfway houses as well but, again, the people who are housed in them aren't all from Prescott. I don't think Prescott has any more "drug addicts" than anywhere else. Cottonwood has it's share of halfway houses too.

I lived in Prescott for a few years and I wouldn't mind living there again. I liked it just fine and never had any problems with anybody. I still have cousins that live there and they like it. They are all in their 40s and 50s now and they lived there as kids too. In fact they attended Miller Valley school. Three of them work at the hospital practically across the street from there now.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,870,002 times
Congrats Prescott! You are now officially known as the most racist city in the USA!

Prescott's image is tarnished forever. If you think tourism is bad now, there is a national boycott taking place against Prescott. More businesses will go out of business...

YouTube - Fox News Radio Talk Show Host Steve Blair vs The Prescott Arizona School Mural

Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 AM

16 posts, read 50,238 times
Oh, I don't think it's fair to say that Prescott is the most racist city in the USA.

Azdesertbrat, I was born in Prescott and did live there for a number of years...and I can tell you that there is a heavier drug problem there amongst the teens and young adults than I have seen anywhere else in Arizona that I have lived, and I've managed to make the rounds. Despite that, I don't think Prescott is a terrible place...we live in a time where, unfortunately, drug use is just about everywhere. I just have yet to personally see anyplace in AZ where I saw it more prevalent in the youth, although that doesn't mean that other towns aren't possibly worse in that respect, just that I haven't lived in one that was.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Oh, I don't think it's fair to say that Prescott is the most racist city in the USA.

Azdesertbrat, I was born in Prescott and did live there for a number of years...and I can tell you that there is a heavier drug problem there amongst the teens and young adults than I have seen anywhere else in Arizona that I have lived, and I've managed to make the rounds. Despite that, I don't think Prescott is a terrible place...we live in a time where, unfortunately, drug use is just about everywhere. I just have yet to personally see anyplace in AZ where I saw it more prevalent in the youth, although that doesn't mean that other towns aren't possibly worse in that respect, just that I haven't lived in one that was.
I guess I never hung out with the 'right people' to be aware of drug problems. My cousins raised their kids there and they managed to stay away from it...for which we are all grateful. We have a "problem" in Cottonwood too but when you read the police reports in the paper they don't report much of it. Seems like we have more DWIs than anything, driving on suspended, some domestic violence and some paraphenalia busts. I think, in last weeks paper, there were only a couple of busts for drugs/drugs for sale. We have several rehabs here as well but I only know one person who is in there on a regular basis and she is in her 50s!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 PM

35 posts, read 114,333 times
Quote:
Well, it seems that the original poster isn't involved in this link, and the person who posted the second query in May doesn't seem to be either, yet the debate goes on. <snip>
Oh I'm still here (the poster of the 2nd query)... but you're right in that I haven't checked in for a while. In looking at Prescott, there have been number of things that have set off red flags for me as far as raising my kids there, so while it isn't totally off the table, it's certainly not the highest on the list either. As it stands, Prescott at most may be a place that waaaaaay down the road we have a second home in the trees for when the summers in the Valley get too unbearable.

And about the debate - I get pretty tired sometimes of the whole "racism" debate - it seems to me that the people who understand, understand. Those who don't are so set in their views and so defensive when you suggest that something they said is offensive, that it's sometimes just incredibly tiring. That's not to say that I won't continue to attempt to educate those that may want a better understanding of the nuances of race from my perspective (as if there are any such people ), but for the screamers and racial-epithet users, I've simply lost patience and energy.

When it all comes down to it, with my post to this thread I was looking for a decent portrait of Prescott and what my family is to expect. I'm comfortable that through my many visits in the past (as a child/adolescent and also as an adult - including with my wife), through the responses in this thread, and through some of the Prescott debacles that have made the news, I have accomplished what I set out to accomplish.

Thanks to all for their responses.

Last edited by rmsi; 06-10-2010 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Because I'm OCD and always have to edit.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:05 PM

533 posts, read 1,461,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec
Congrats Prescott! You are now officially known as the most racist city in the USA!

You post like somebody who's never lived outside of Prescott. If this place is racist then there are other towns that could be labeled in far worse terms.

Taking the media's spin on a single story--and Fox News at that--is perhaps a bit shortsighted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott