Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 PM

2,772 posts, read 5,721,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
Lunch at Zeke's. BLT....Best in the West.

Burgers at Brown Bag. Yogurt next door.
You forgot to add taking a nap. At least that's how I feel after the Bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 08:21 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
You forgot to add taking a nap. At least that's how I feel after the Bag.
Yeah, a burger and the great chili fries often does me in, too. In a very good way, though.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,914,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectwanda1 View Post
Any help you can give us is certainly appreciated.

Thank you for everything.
Just call us any time if you have questions.

For places to eat, check out the Dry Gulch on Fri/Sat night. Sit in the bar area to listen to a great country singer/guitarist. He has a sheet of songs that you can request. We also like the Raven, which is on your list. Bill's Pizza is the best pizza in our opinion.

You should also take a drive out to Lynx Lake, Goldwater Lake, and Watson Lake (in town). Those are nice places for a picnic or to go for a short hike. Kayaking at Watson is awesome. It's like a mini Lake Powell, with rock outcroppings everywhere.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:13 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
Just call us any time if you have questions.

Bill's Pizza is the best pizza in our opinion.
Bill's grill a little south of downtown on White Spar is good, too. We like the shrimp and oyster po'boy and the eggplant sandwich. Good fries and Kilt Lifter beer is served there.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 PM

13 posts, read 29,089 times
You will love it here (there), the weather, the local folks attitude, the scenery, etc. I know what you mean about the weather this winter, we are stuck in New England at least for another few years and can't stand the thought of several more winters before we can finally move permanently. When you read some of the replies from the natives in central AZ, bear in mind that they have been spoiled, many of them haven't experienced rotten weather, roads, drivers, taxes, and the general poor attitude that people, at least in some parts of the country, endure as part of life. We spend a couple of months a year so far in the Prescott area and what strikes us is the employees in stores and restaurants. Even in the "big box" stores the people act like they are thrilled to meet us, not like we are inconveniencing them by walking in the door. We fell in love with the place when we visited friends, bought a place in "the corridor" and can't wait to move there for good.

As far as realtors go, we found that they run the spectrum of integrity. We dealt with one very good one, ended up buying through one that was kind of shady, but we got the deal we wanted, and had some relatives deal with one that was TERRIBLE. I will send you a private message recommending two good ones to work with, of course in our opinion.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM

56 posts, read 188,540 times
Default thanks

Hey everyone.....thanks for all your input.

Shrimp & oyster po'boy.......oh momma.....does that sound great! (thanks wretchedwrench)

And Muley......you know what I am Talkin' about when it comes to this winter. It has been "crazy long". We still have 3 foot drifts around the house. I swear to God. And it's April!!

Muley....it is so important to us that we live in a community where the people are nice. In the U.P. of Michigan (where we currently live), the people are so, so sweet, and leaving these wonderful people is a concern for us. But not to worry......the People of Prescott sound lovely. Thank you!

We are getting into Phoenix on Sunday.....and Prescott.....ready or not.....here we come

Any last minute suggestions....we are all ears!!!!

Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 AM

32 posts, read 73,908 times
You most likely will see this after your Trip west to AZ and Prescott. We moved here last spring from Northern Indiana, specificaly the Goshen/Elkhart area. Anytime you contemplate a change there are going to be pros & cons. I am familar with the UP and hiked meny a day at Pictured Rock National Lakesore and many other MI parks including the Dunes. What we seen so far as positives are clearly the weather and insects. The weather is wonderful. It does get a tad warm in June to Auguest but no worse to deal with than the muggy summer days in the midwest. The winter we had here last was nothing. No sub zero stuff and the snow lasts a day on the ground or two at most. Temperatures in January and Feburary are low at night, in the teens usually but daytime highs near 50 are far warmer then the weeks and weeks of 20 degree highs you are a custom too. The big difference we appreciate with the weather is the sun. The areas east of lake michigan can be so socked in with clouds throughout the year that it can get depressing. On the insects, while there are plenty here I have not seen the biting insects we hated so much in Indiana. Mosquito's, dearfly, tics and so on. We looked at the Carolinas, Florida, Tennessee and Arizona and they all have positives and negitives. I could spend hours talking about our years of looking and research, bottom line is there is no perfect place you have to find what fits you best. We were impressed with the areas on the outskirts of town (although I would be perfectly happy living in town). We wanted a few acres and a few horses so we bought just to the north west of the city. We have had very few poor experiences with the people here. Almost everyone has been welcoming and outgoing. So much for the positives. On the negitive side if you are moving away from an area you have lived in for years it's an adjustment. We found that just getting envolved and talking to neighbors was a great way to make new friends but the fact is that is work and you have to do it. We found that everyone we know is now planning trips to see us which is great but the fact is you still have to supliment those old relationships with new ones here. We miss the grandkids, that is huge. But they come twice a year and that helps. With email, Skype and phones we are always in contact. Another negitive for us the shopping we like is on the East side of town which means a hour round trip to go to those stores and back. The West side of town has good grocery shopping options but not as many stores as between Prescott and Prescott Valley. I can't speak as to areas to avoid as we have only been here a year but I think this forum is an excellent place to use as a sounding board and I would talk to as meny people as you can about the area to get information, that is what we did. I can end by saying that we like the area, the people, the weather and are happy with the move here. We may have liked one of other states we considered just as well it is hard to say, but we have not been disappointed with this area as a place to live out our latter years. One "general" comment on the real estate market. I am not a real estate expert so you have to do your own research. Property is more expensive here than the area we moved from, however compared to Traverse City or Marion County in Indiana, there is not allot difference. We bought in 08 and in subsuequent visits before we moved reaized that there were some real bargins in 2009 and 2010 and maybe 2011. But that applies everywhere in the country I suspect. So yes the huge bargins are most likely gone but for us I am not sure we would have been swayed to change our purchase choice even had we had the opportunity to but one of those foreclosed properties. Anyway good luck to you and I hope your trip was safe and fun.

Last edited by Southwesthiker; 04-15-2013 at 10:01 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM

56 posts, read 188,540 times
Hi Everyone!!!!

We have returned from our vacation to Prescott/Prescott Valley and we have to say "WE LOVED IT"!!

Everyone was so nice!!! Strangely enough, most of the people we talked with were from Michigan just like us!!

We enjoyed downtown Prescott. All the little shops and eateries were great It was in the 70's and we donned tank tops and flip flops and walked all over the city. We felt welcome, just like family (actually better than family if you know what I mean )

Prescott Valley had some terrific shopping and restaurants. It was a shame that we had to limit the things we wanted to buy because it had to fit into our luggage for the trip home. We drove all over the area and really enjoyed the homes along Sharp Shooter Lane/Way. We could see ourselves living there.

We stayed at the Hassayammpa Inn in Prescott the first night, then switched to the Hampton Inn in Prescott Valley for the remainder of our time. The Hampton Inn was a great "fit" for us. We had free breakfast every morning. Fresh coffee, fruit, waffles, omelettes, bagels & cream cheese, yogart....you name it....it was great! The rooms were nice and the staff were wonderful. The really terrific thing about the Hampton Inn was that we were within walking distance of all kinds of great restaurants, movies and entertainment. It was perfect.

We took "day trips" in the area. We went to Jerome and OMG.....I thought we were gonna die. We drove up the mountains on a small two lane highway and I thought for sure we were gonna fall off the side into the canyon because there were some areas that did not have a guard rail!! Oh no no no...I will never go there again. I was told later that there was another way up (by cottonwood)...I was so scared from the drive up that it ruined my time there. All I could think about was having to drive back down that canyon. Lovely area, view was great, but I don't think I will go back.

We did take a day trip to Sedona and that was heaven on earth. My God it was BEAUTIFUL! The town was just lovely. Lots of tourists and it was bumper to bumper, but still it was worth it. Just lovely. But, wouldn't you know it.....we went there from Michigan to get away from the snow....and guess what it did while we were in Sedona....yes, that's right....it snowed, sleeted and rained. AAAAhhhhh!! We wanted to park and peruse the shops and local fare but we couldn't because it was snowing so hard and we couldn't find a parking place. So, we will have to get back to Sedona another time, because it was lovely.

On the last night we headed into Phoenix and it was hot, hot, hot. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Phoenix near the airport and the people running that hotel were wonderful. Not only did we have breakfast provided in the morning, but they have pizza parties for everyone staying in there. Pop,popcorn, cookies, pizza, snacks.....you name at....all to make you feel comfortable. Lovely Hotel, and lovely people. They ROCK at the Hampton Inn!!

So, we are back in Michigan and naturally it is snowing again. We had a lovely time in Arizona. We love Prescott and Prescott Valley.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions on where to eat. We tried to fit all your ideas in and we got to most of them.

And THANK YOU to the people of Prescott. You showed us a lovely time and we were sad to leave.

Now, we have to sit down and make lots of decisions. From what we heard the real estate market is "hot" and homes don't last long on a listing.

Again Thanks Everyone for all your help!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM

33 posts, read 176,116 times
Default About Prescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectwanda1 View Post
Plans are to re-locate to Prescott.

We are driving next month to Prescott, PV area and plan at looking at homes.

We are somewhat out of our element. We have lived in Michigan all of our lives and we are now retired and living in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Love Michigan......but the winters are just too damn long!

So, what to do? We met some lovely people from Prescott and from our conversation, Prescott sounded like a nice place to live.

But....That's it.....That's all we know.

As you can see we need help!

Need some hand holding here!

Thanks
About Prescott: I am in Prescott now and have checked all (almost) I need to know about moving here. It is everything I read about and pretty much what others in the forum have said about Prescott.
I couldn't get over the constant sunshine (coming from almost a perpertually overcast and rainy place in Washington, you'll understand what I mean)...warm but nice, comfortably mild breeze. And the people! I couldn't get over people on the streets I have never met before actually greeting me with smiles! In some of the places I've lived (in the U.S.) most would just as well run you over. Everyone I've approached for information or help with directions were very friendly and helpful. I asked a Real Estate agent for information about rental...and he does not do rentals (he is only involved in property sales)...but advised me to get to know the different residential areas...and that was not enough...he actually took me in his car and spent an entire morning showing me all the residential areas of Prescott!
Then put together a listing of rentals for me...and gave me a list of property management offices who could help me further....put together an excellent relocation package...and told me after we got back from our tour of the residential areas...to call him if I need further assistance or had questions. And this guy knows that he is not going to make a nickel on me.
Also...I'd like to warn others who use craigslist or other media. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! THERE ARE LOTS OF CROOKS OUT THERE TOO DARN LAZY TO EARN A DECENT LIVING...instead they'd rather scam people for a living.
I put a house wanted ad in craigslist. In less than an hour I get an e-mail telling me that this person has a house to rent for me. He has been transferred to Washington, DC to another job and would like to rent his house in Prescott. He provided details about the house...and even photos. My ad stated that I can pay up to $1,200/mo for a 3 BR. No problem...he proceeded to tell me that his only concern is to make sure that he gets tenants who will take good care of his house and property. He then told me that he would not be able to meet me in Prescott to show the house. I asked if he had an agent...someone like a property management person to handle the renting of his house. He told me that he didn't have anyone...but to simply send the deposit to him...and after he receives the deposit he will mail the documents to the house and the keys. Hmmmm! Right then, I knew this guy is a scammer. I then fired back and told him that unless I get to personally, physically see/inspect the house I wouldn't go along with such transaction. He insisted...and flat told him we had no further matter to discuss unless I get to the see the house first.
Today, with the real estate agent who showed me around, he took me to the address of this house that this person in D.C. wanted to rent to me. The house exists, alright...but has a sign outside that the it is for rent...handled by a Property Management Office in Prescott. I contacted the property management office...and was informed that the person whose name I got via e-mail, who claimed to be the owner...is NOT THE OWNER of this house. A Scam, obviously! So everyone...be very careful. I told a couple of major real estate agents in town about this scammer.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,914,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talenthunter View Post
Also...I'd like to warn others who use craigslist or other media. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! THERE ARE LOTS OF CROOKS OUT THERE TOO DARN LAZY TO EARN A DECENT LIVING...instead they'd rather scam people for a living.
I will second that! Craigslist is chock full of scammers. NEVER give anyone a deposit before you verify the house, the owner, and sign a legitimate contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott