U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 03:39 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,609 times

Advertisements

More on Monsoons...I haven't been through any in Prescott yet, but things generally play out in other parts of Arizona like this. It will start getting warm during the day and sometime around early afternoon you will see clouds building up. A storm will blow in usually between 5-7 and it will rain pretty hard for a short period of time that is often accompanied by thunder, lightning, and occasional dust storms that hit just before the rain does. During the rain everything immediately cools down by 10 degrees or more. Then the clouds move past you and everything is back to normal. I kind of enjoy them actually, though sometimes though brief they can be kinda harry to be out driving in because the rain is intense (big drops and a lot of them).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 02:01 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,084,241 times
Hi

Thank you so much for your replies and help. I am very conflicted on where I should go and know from experience with moving there is no perfect but what is best in the situation one is in.
Briansperspective thank you I think from my search you live in Prescott CC? I saw some very nice rentals online and was wondering how that area is etc?
Intelgents I have lived in TO for almost 2 years. I actually like the area and I knew coming out here it would be expensive which it is for a 1 bedroom were talking almost 1700 a month without utlities etc. It would be one thing if you got a lot for that price but you don't. I am blessed in that I work from home so can relocate anywhere but have health issues so I am trying to budget more wisely and weather impacts me as well. I was also shocked at how hot it gets here in TO I would of never thought. Where do you live now?
Perfectwanda I think I responded to your thread as I am from MI in Bloomfield Hills area. Prescott looks like a very nice area I do agree and from the help of people from Prescott they seem very friendly.
I had a friend who lived in AZ and she talked about Monsoon season. I used to live in FL and so understand the humidity and strong storms.
Can anyone share more about winters because I read the average snow per year is 19 inches yet the average highs are 50s but I know the lows are 20s?
Though I would rather rent a condo can anyone share any apartment complexes or actually condo communities I could look at online to see what they are like?
Thank you again for all your help

Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,176,023 times
Here is a site that gives average temps and precip: Average Weather for Prescott, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation

Here is a site that gives annual snowfall: Monthly Total Snowfall, PRESCOTT, ARIZONA Note that it varies in recent years. For example, Winter 98-99 had .5", while 2000-01 had 24", and so forth. If you believe in Global Warming (many Presottonians do not), then we can expect less snow and quicker melting in the future.

The above site does not go later than winter 2005/06. Your tax dollars at work.

This site gives results with data from 1981 to 2010: Prescott AZ Snowfall Totals & Snow Accumulation Averages - Current Results

From the site: "For about five or six days a year on average, Prescott has at least an inch of snow on the ground."

Click on the links at the bottom of the last site for more good info.

Last edited by wretched wrench; 04-25-2013 at 07:36 AM..

Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 AM

1,897 posts, read 5,122,214 times
Yes, Prescott Country Club is nice, but it is also 30 minutes from downtown Prescott. I presume that you rental location will depend on where you are working. You have not mentioned that. Hopefully you have, or will, line up employment before you move. That is unless you are independently wealthy.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:27 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,535,609 times
As to the snow, I only caught the back end of winter here, but from what I saw it would snow a couple inches, look really pretty in the morning, and then the snow would melt everywhere except on the mountains by mid day. The roads weren't so bad in the PV / Prescott area in the mornings though one or two days I was a little worried about ice so I took it slow. I have friends who lives out in the pines and some days they do get snowed in, but in the urban areas the roads were not bad. I came up here before moving here and stayed a few days in a hotel, it was cold...6 degrees at 6 in the morning. I hear that was unusual though. I was out and about in 14 degrees up here though and was fine without gloves (though I wasn't outside for more than a few minutes at a time). No way I would have done that in say Michigan. So even though it is cold it is a different cold.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
No way I would have done that in say Michigan. So even though it is cold it is a different cold.
Dare I say it................."It's a Dry Cold."

But, yes, the dryness seems to keep the cold from being so apparent. Sunshine also seems to mitigate what the brain processes from cold body parts.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,084,241 times
Hi
Thank you all again. I agree about the weather and dry cold. I also feel here even in CA when it gets cold the sun being so bright and lacking clouds in the sky makes a huge difference. Usually in MI when it is cold it is overcast.
Brians I work from home so have been able to live where I like. That being said I still like to be in close driving distance to things like shopping.
I have been looking on craigslist which I know has some scams but there are so many affordable and nice places.
Thank you again

Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectwanda1 View Post
Hi Everyone!

................. "monsoon" season. Can anyone elaborate? How long does it last?

Here is a little more definitive information, albeit from a Phoenix source (There is scant chance of getting any definitive information from a Prescott source).. Arizona Monsoon Facts - Monsoon in Phoenix - What is Monsoon

"Prior to 2008 the Phoenix area monsoon was considered to have started when there were three consecutive days when the dew point averaged 55 degrees or higher. In 2008 the National Weather Service decided to take the guesswork out of monsoon start and end dates. After all, monsoon is a season, and most people should not be concerned with whether or not a particular dust storm was defined as monsoon storm or not. Beginning in 2008, June 15 was established as the first day of monsoon, and September 30 will be the last day."

Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM

1,897 posts, read 5,122,214 times
Default Monsoon in Prescott Arizona

Click on the video in this link to see a monsoon in action. Then click on the pictures to see what it looks like when the monsoon is not dumping rain.

Video of Monsoon

Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 4,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectwanda1 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I have a post on a different thread regarding Prescott/Prescott Valley.

We are from Michigan but just got back from Prescott and Prescott Valley. And, we loved it!

With that being said, it's interesting that someone posted about a "monsoon" in the summertime.

While we were in Prescott, someone in town also mentioned the "monsoon" season. Can anyone elaborate? How long does it last and how bad is the humidity?

And Daniella......we think you will love Prescott/Prescott Valley. Oodles and oodles of shopping, restaurants, cinemas, and really,really nice people!!!!

We think you will love it too!

The monsoon season starts and ends as it will ranging from light sprinkle to a deluge with thunder and lightning. The rise in summer humidity is not very high but it is shocking when we have 20% or less most of the year.

I'm from CA and TO/Simi Valley, you will miss your shopping, the weather and the people. Daniella I know a lot of people here from Ventura County and we ALL hate it here and wish we could go back. Don't leave CA for AZ you will regret it and you will not be welcomed by the AZ Locos... I mean Locals.

The Prescott Locals are very Xenophobic and angry about California and Californians.

Michigan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott