U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM

537 posts, read 628,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Tomchard:

We might get 3 or 4 snowstorms per season, it's usually gone in a day or two. This year we've only had about an inch in early December.
Daytime temperatures are usually in the 50's and there are many days when it's in the 60's during the entire winter. January and February of this year we were in the 60's and 70's. I doubt you'll ever get "snowed in" many people in my neighborhood don't even clear their property after a snowstorm, and prefer to let it melt. It's not unusual to go walking around in a long sleeve shirt. What makes it nice is that the paved surfaces dry very quickly leaving the snow up in the mountains making for a beautiful sight indeed, especially when contrasted against the clear blue sky.<SNIP> I'm glad you got out of the "Nawth-east" there really isn't anything good about living there.

Thank you for the information, Ex-NY-er! It's much-appreciated, and just what I was looking for.
The memories of too-many-winters in Western NY State left an indelible impression on me; I will not (by the Grace of God) live where snow is anything more than a 1- or 2- day 'affair' ... If I have anything to say about it.
And, as far as getting-out of the NE is concerned, I highly recommend it to anyone who wants "a life."

It's funny - in an odd sort of way: Right now, I think Texas has had more cold, sleet & ice (and a little snow) than it appears the Press-kit area has. And, I'm actually OK with that!

... TC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM

62 posts, read 105,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
Today, I find most people are politically minded and the ones that are not but on the blue side quickly learn to keep their mouth shut if they are going to get along with their neighbors. When we do find our people, it is a celebration.
Okay, now I think I understand your comment: "Just don't spread the word, there is enough haters here." The blind assumption that someone is a "hater" is exactly the attitude that's so prevalent hereabouts, and which we're trying to get away from, so thankfully it appears to be a minority affliction in Prescott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Let's keep this to Prescott please, not even statewide politics.
Yes. General attitudes in Prescott and surrounds are exactly what I'm curious about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
We chose the Prescott area over those you mentioned for the weather.
Looking more and more like this will be a major factor for us, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I do know Phoenix has probably the best healthcare in the U.S. but, would hate to have to travel there for routine office visits and lab work.
One of the pluses for us is the relative proximity of the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. I've been extremely lucky (knock wood) health-wise, but my wife's Devic's may need ongoing treatment, and they specialize in that. The 2-hr drive from Prescott to Scottsdale is a much more attractive proposition than getting from here to MN.

Quote:
We might get 3 or 4 snowstorms per season, it's usually gone in a day or two. This year we've only had about an inch in early December.
I've lost count, but I think we're on our 8th or 10th here. Due to alternate heavy snow / rain / deep freeze cycles, there's about 10'' of frozen snow cover now that won't be melting until the temps get up consistently into the 50s. I think we're looking at some time in April before we see the ground again.

Quote:
Daytime temperatures are usually in the 50's and there are many days when it's in the 60's during the entire winter. January and February of this year we were in the 60's and 70's.
Have been monitoring the daily temp there vs. here - consistently 20-30° warmer there over this past month... at any given time of day.

Quote:
Arizona is never dismal, dank and dreary, like it was back there.
This is actually what I remember most about the time I spent in AZ. It definitely changes people's general dispositions for the better (unless one is just irreconcilably disgruntled to begin with).

Old 03-06-2014, 10:49 AM

5,599 posts, read 2,884,561 times
UserZero:
Prescott,"Pres-Kit" Arizona is definitely the place for you. If you can't for some reason make the drive to Scottsdale for your wife's treatment Prescott has a shuttle service that may be of help.

Quote:
"Arizona is never dismal, dank and dreary, like it was back there." This is actually what I remember most about the time I spent in AZ. It definitely changes people's general dispositions for the better (unless one is just irreconcilably disgruntled to begin with).
We moved out here without knowing a single soul, we left our family, friends and all the places we were familiar with back east. We were very surprised at how quickly we made friends and found that many of the people that moved here came from other states. We haven't come across any "haters" yet. I think that people's dispositions are better is because we all want to be here and it's not just the weather and scenery although that doesn't hurt. I remember when we first crossed the New York/Pennsylvania border on our moving trip out here, looked at the sign and said "Free at Last" and never looked back. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else, and we are proud to call Arizona our home.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:19 AM

tomchard:
You've just got to come out here! Nothing against Texas, I've only driven through it and know some people who have moved to Arizona from there, they're all great people and never said anything bad about Texas but prefer Arizona's scenery and rather benign weather, tornadoes are rare and hurricanes are non existent. Arizona has a little bit of everything for anyone. If you like to ski there's Flagstaff and the White Mountains. If you like water sports there's Lake Havasu City. I love Prescott for it's scenery, mild four seasons and it's centrally located making for some exciting day trips. My favorite place in Arizona is the Sonoran Desert, if it weren't for the summer heat we probably would have moved there, but it's only an hours drive from Prescott and we can enjoy hiking in it any time and season that we want. Early Spring being the best when the wildflowers begin to bloom and the desert blossoms in all it's glory. Prescott also has some awesome hiking trails with breath taking views in the Granite Dells, Thumb Butte and Granite Mountain. One of them is in our neighborhood and we don't even have to drive to get there. Then you also have Sedona about an hour and a half from Prescott, to some the most beautiful place in the world. The Grand Canyon can be done in a day. The Apache trail (Rte 88) from Apache Junction to the Roosevelt Dam is to me the most exciting road in all of Arizona as it winds through it's steep cliffs and deep canyons. Arizona is indeed an exciting place to live.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:55 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,423,314 times
Ex NYer,

A few questions. When is early spring in the Sonoran Desert and where is your favorite hiking?

Is the Apache Trail (88) paved? My old atlas shows it as gravel.

My daughter lives in Prescott and I very much enjoy all the close in hiking, Dells, Thumb Butte and granite Mtn!

Thanks

Old 03-06-2014, 01:24 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,239,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
That's my kind of "winter" all right!

We lived in Texas for nearly 30 years, and the only real, dire instance we ever had (concerning bugs) was when a step-daughter got her thumb bitten by a brown recluse spider ...
Sorry to say that Az has (get ready) the Arizona Recluse, which is almost the same. Only experts can tell the difference. I got bit by one last year. It was bad, but I did not have the necrosis that some have experienced.

We also have black widows and scorpions, but they are not as bad. I kill several widows a week. They are easy to spot, unlike the Recluse.

Quote:
For me, "humidity" is a frame of mind;
I dunno........I have always felt that humidity made both heat and cold less pleasant. There is a thing called the Discomfort Index, and it combines heat and humidity to tell you how miserable you are. I can really tell the difference when a nearby crop is being irrigated. (Not here, but along the Colorado River) (No, not the Texas Colorado River)

Quote:
If Austin weren't so doggoned expensive now, I'd move back there in a heartbeat!
Yeah, Austin is nice, but college towns run high, and Austin is getting trendier, as well. We considered the Hill Country. Used to have family around Ingram. The Prescott area has nicer weather and more mountains.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 PM

Eddyline:
Quote:
A few questions. When is early spring in the Sonoran Desert and where is your favorite hiking?
I'd say towards the middle of March early May, but the amount of wildflowers that bloom depends on the amount of rain that the area has received during the winter. I usually make several trips in order to catch it just right. I don't really have a favorite hiking trail, in Prescott, each one is spectacular in it's own right. You've pretty much mentioned them all. As far as the Sonoran Desert goes we like to go out towards Bagdad on Iron Springs Road (Hwy 96) through Skull Valley and then take (Hwy 97) to the Santa Maria River and Burro Creek we then get on (Hwy 93) north to Wikieup for lunch at the trading post there. We stop often on the way there and explore the desert when we see a trail from the road. We love this area because of all the mountains and rock formations along with the desert vegetation. At the end of (Hwy 97) you can also head south on (Hwy 93) towards Wickenberg and see a fantastic display of Joshua Trees. Another nice ride is to take (Hwy 89) south towards Congress and just south of Yarnell near Glen Ilah there's an awesome scenic overlook with great views of the Weaver Mountains and beyond.

Quote:
Is the Apache Trail (88) paved? My old atlas shows it as gravel.
It's paved until you get a little passed Tortilla Flat from there on it's a winding dirt road, and you can't really go over 15 mph, 10 is even better. Which is great you really do not want to miss any of it especially Fish Creek Canyon. You do not need four wheel drive, we did it in a rental car. At the beginning of the trail is Canyon Lake with a scenic overlook followed by Apache Lake and another scenic overlook. The trail (88) was created for the construction of the Roosevelt Dam and Teddy Roosevelt claimed it to be the most spectacular place in the world. You've just got to see it to believe it.

I take it you don't live out here, if not these are "must do's" the next time you visit your daughter. As spectacular as it is Arizona is a lot more than the Grand Canyon.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:47 PM

2,492 posts, read 2,423,314 times
Quote:
Eddyline:

I'd say towards the middle of March early May, but the amount of wildflowers that bloom depends on the amount of rain that the area has received during the winter. I usually make several trips in order to catch it just right. I don't really have a favorite hiking trail, in Prescott, each one is spectacular in it's own right. You've pretty much mentioned them all. As far as the Sonoran Desert goes we like to go out towards Bagdad on Iron Springs Road (Hwy 96) through Skull Valley and then take (Hwy 97) to the Santa Maria River and Burro Creek we then get on (Hwy 93) north to Wikieup for lunch at the trading post there. We stop often on the way there and explore the desert when we see a trail from the road. We love this area because of all the mountains and rock formations along with the desert vegetation. At the end of (Hwy 97) you can also head south on (Hwy 93) towards Wickenberg and see a fantastic display of Joshua Trees. Another nice ride is to take (Hwy 89) south towards Congress and just south of Yarnell near Glen Ilah there's an awesome scenic overlook with great views of the Weaver Mountains and beyond.

It's paved until you get a little passed Tortilla Flat from there on it's a winding dirt road, and you can't really go over 15 mph, 10 is even better. Which is great you really do not want to miss any of it especially Fish Creek Canyon. You do not need four wheel drive, we did it in a rental car. At the beginning of the trail is Canyon Lake with a scenic overlook followed by Apache Lake and another scenic overlook. The trail (88) was created for the construction of the Roosevelt Dam and Teddy Roosevelt claimed it to be the most spectacular place in the world. You've just got to see it to believe it.

I take it you don't live out here, if not these are "must do's" the next time you visit your daughter. As spectacular as it is Arizona is a lot more than the Grand Canyon.
Thanks for the info. And no i don't live in Az, home is Colorado, but my daughter and I have done 5 trips down the Colorado River thru the Grand Canyon. She liked AZ enough to move there and I have enjoyed visiting and exploring the areas "above the Rim". Love the Flagstaff, Oak Creek, Sedona, Jerome to Prescott drive.
Next trip out is in May and want to spend some time around Flagstaff.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:46 PM

Eddyline:
You're welcome. Be sure to visit Monument Valley if you haven't already, it makes for a great day trip from Flagstaff. You can also check out the hiking trails around the San Francisco Peaks. You might want to try out the Galaxy Diner 931 W Route 66, just north of Riordan Rd. for breakfast. Old Route 66 from Seligman to Kingman is also a fun day trip. Being a rail fan we love to go up there and watch the stack trains meander through the desert. Don't know if it could beat those trips thru the Grand Canyon, I've never done that. Yes "Rim Country" around Payson sure is beautiful country and was on our list of places to move to in Arizona. I had relatives that lived in Fort Collins, Manitou Springs and Colorado Springs in that order, at the time my cousin was stationed there as part of NORAD. I still have one cousin that still lives in Colorado Springs they all love it there. I have yet to visit although I have been through the southeastern part of the state, Lamar, La Junta and Trinidad on several coast to coast rail trips.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:32 PM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 384,234 times
Prescott has bubbled to the top of the list...

Can't help but picture a sinister brew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott