Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think rainwater harvesting is a good idea?
Yes 9 90.00%
No 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:48 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,063 times

Advertisements

I think this is a good idea,

Officials seek water solution from above: Rainwater harvesting viability explored - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

Officials seek water solution from above: Rainwater harvesting viability explored

Yavapai County officials are studying the benefits of rainwater harvesting equipment in new construction.

The Yavapai County Board of Supervisors and its planning commission discussed the idea at length Wednesday during one of their two annual joint meetings.

"In some cases, we have to lead by example," Supervisor Craig Brown said.

"We need to look at this," agreed Planning and Zoning Commission Chair Tom Reilly, a local architect. He noted it would conserve groundwater. The Prescott region has been depleting its groundwater supplies for more than a decade.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 05:54 PM

250 posts, read 1,119,065 times
I'm not saying it should be mandatory, but having an underground cistern collecting rain water from your roof just make sense out here. I haven't looked into city code yet, but I'd like to install one at my house when we switch to a metal roof.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:35 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,918,453 times
I think it's a great idea for landscaping water. I'm not sure I would want to drink it! On average, the Prescott area peeps use very little water per capita as compared to many other cities.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
I think it's a great idea for landscaping water. I'm not sure I would want to drink it! On average, the Prescott area peeps use very little water per capita as compared to many other cities.
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want to drink it?

Old 04-01-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderocker View Post
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want to drink it?
For the same reason I wouldn't drink water running in a gutter or in a stream. It's dirty and probably contains bacteria, mold, and whatever else it happened to run through. I would drink it if I filtered it or chlorinated it.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:14 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
My friends in Sierra Vista had a rainwater collection system. It accounted for half of the year's water consumption (it is purified before it goes to the tap. They said they could have collected more if they had a bigger tank.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 PM

Yikes! I just look at rainwater harvesting systems for grins, and a basic system costs $6,200! I don't even know if that includes installation - probably not. Given that our water bill is about $20/month, it would take 26 years to break even! That's not even considering the time-value of money. That also assumes that the system will never break or require a new motor or require a filter replacement in 26 years. Oh yeah, don't forget the rainwater harvesting yard sign - that only costs $12.95

It's a lot cheaper if you don't plan to drink the water. Then you can just buy a plastic tank, and use gravity to water your yard.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
For the same reason I wouldn't drink water running in a gutter or in a stream. It's dirty and probably contains bacteria, mold, and whatever else it happened to run through. I would drink it if I filtered it or chlorinated it.

Ohh, well I think it goes without saying that you'd want to treat it (just as the city does their water) before consuming it.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Yikes! I just look at rainwater harvesting systems for grins, and a basic system costs $6,200! I don't even know if that includes installation - probably not. Given that our water bill is about $20/month, it would take 26 years to break even! That's not even considering the time-value of money. That also assumes that the system will never break or require a new motor or require a filter replacement in 26 years. Oh yeah, don't forget the rainwater harvesting yard sign - that only costs $12.95

It's a lot cheaper if you don't plan to drink the water. Then you can just buy a plastic tank, and use gravity to water your yard.

I think a rainwater collection system leans more towards personally responsibility (and basic survival for some areas) than it does fiscal responsibility.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:18 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Quote:

My above mentioned friends put it in while they were building, so perhaps it's easier to justify it then (and maybe a little cheaper? Though I doubt it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott