U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 08:46 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,413,083 times

Advertisements

Prescott closed two local schools, Miller Valley and Washington. Do NOT move here with school age kids, the community only likes retirees with money and drug addicts. Justify it all you want about saving money and shuffling the kids around to different schools, but the truth remains, this community does not like kids. "They" have gotten theirs and your kids are on their own. The city will now have some more prime real estate to sell to the highest bidder. The vibe of Prescott has changed over the years from "everyone's hometown" to an over developed fake yuppie retiree paradise that is run by incompetent people who only care about money and "growth" at all costs. You have been warned, only move to prescott after you are rich and retired and only care about yourself, then you can spend your final days continuing to ruin the community that attracted you here in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:34 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,030,563 times
I think the above is a bit harsh but the general vibe of the OP's post is right on. A well balanced and healthy community has multiple sectors. Prescott is too reliant on retirees and half way houses for tax income. Nothing against the half way houses but I'd like to see more young people here that are just here because they like it and can make enough money to support their families which currently for most this is almost impossible. You have people who grew up here who have to move because the opportunities here are limited. Also an economy relying mostly on retirees isn't a wise long term plan as in the future with demographic changes and social security going insolvent by 2024 there are going to be a lot less retirees with lot's of cash around to milk. Prescott needs more light manufacturing and other businesses to provide income to younger people so we can have a well balanced economy that can take blows and still chug along in the future. This is problem faced by a lot of communities though since we as a nation have chosen to outsource our economy over seas.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:53 PM

1,785 posts, read 4,452,513 times
This decision by the school board was undoubtedly extremely difficult and has angered many people. However, I must commend them for making a decision. Arizona has modified its laws to bring competition into the school system. Students have a choice to attend a public school or a charter school. Most other states have zero competition, and students are required to attend the school in their district, regardless of whether it is a great school or a terrible school. In Arizona, students who would otherwise have to attend a mediocre public school can choose to attend a great charter school. (I am not stating that the Prescott public schools that closed are mediocre, I am merely giving an example. Nor am I stating that all charter schools are great.) As such, many Prescott students have chosen to attend charter schools, which reduced the student population and budget at Prescott Unified. As with a business that looses income due to competing stores, Prescott Unified needed to close schools to balance their budget and consolidate funds. Otherwise, the quality of the instruction would diminish across all of the schools, and more students would choose to attend charter schools thus further depleting the Prescott Unified student population.

This was a bold decision by Arizona to change from a government school monopoly to a competitive school marketplace. There will be a time of awkward transition, but I personally believe that the students will benefit over time.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:39 PM

^You have valid points and I am usually for the free market over government bureaucracy. However, there is something very depressing about two local schools right in town closing. These schools were classic Prescott and are part of the town. There is no denying their presence adds to "Prescott's charm", which I doubt will be able to be recreated with a boring modern looking concrete block charter school. School's are what makes a town a good town in the first place. Surely with all the money in Prescott, there would be a way to come up with the funds. Anyways I still think it is sad for the kids and a community as a whole. Nothing says "we don't care about you" quite like closing two schools right in town. Hopefully it all works out well for the kids. If not they would make excellent rehab centers.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Does anyone know what will happen to the schools? It would be nice if they could preserve or restore them into something useful and still retain the charm. Or will they be sold to the highest bidding developer so some more crap can be squeezed in? My gut tells me the latter, but I hope I am wrong. They should at the very least not sell the land that the schools are on and build a park or something for the community.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:28 PM

223 posts, read 939,594 times
Hopefully we retain ownership and lease them to qualified charter schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or