Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:42 PM

250 posts, read 1,118,888 times

Advertisements

Alright, just venting some frustration here... I go running in the morning, often pushing a stroller with my 2 year old daughter. I'll usually run 6 or 8 miles, and for our own safety, stick primarily to streets that have sidewalks. Given the distance covered, any day of the week I have to continuously run off of the sidewalk and in the street because the sidewalks are blocked with trash cans. To be honest, It doesn't really bother me when I'm out running on my own, but, for safety reasons, I hate playing with traffic when I've got my daughter with me. The city of Prescott website states "Containers are picked up once per week and must be placed at the curbside or alley on collection day by 6:00 a.m., and removed by the end of the day." I read that as " Place you trash cans in the street next to the curb", not " leave it on the sidewalk, forcing foot traffic into the street". I can't be the only one here with enough consideration for pedestrians to place my trash cans in the street for pick up, where they belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 AM

375 posts, read 609,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inderocker View Post
Alright, just venting some frustration here... I go running in the morning, often pushing a stroller with my 2 year old daughter. I'll usually run 6 or 8 miles, and for our own safety, stick primarily to streets that have sidewalks. Given the distance covered, any day of the week I have to continuously run off of the sidewalk and in the street because the sidewalks are blocked with trash cans. To be honest, It doesn't really bother me when I'm out running on my own, but, for safety reasons, I hate playing with traffic when I've got my daughter with me. The city of Prescott website states "Containers are picked up once per week and must be placed at the curbside or alley on collection day by 6:00 a.m., and removed by the end of the day." I read that as " Place you trash cans in the street next to the curb", not " leave it on the sidewalk, forcing foot traffic into the street". I can't be the only one here with enough consideration for pedestrians to place my trash cans in the street for pick up, where they belong.
I find it annoying that I have to move to the street or onto someone's property whilst someone is running on the sidewalk pushing a big stroller, walking a dog that wanders all over sidewalk, riding a bicycle, etc.

But I can deal with it. That's one of the reasons I moved from an "It's all about me" state to Arizona where I can still breath the fresh air and "live and let live". Considering the current state of the world, it seems like a small accommodation - don't you think? There are six other days you can run if you are that concerned.

Since we are parsing phases - It's called a :sidewalk" not a "siderun". There can be reasons for placing a trash container on the sidewalk. such as cars parked on the street in front of the area when the person has time to place the bins on the street. Maybe it's a disabled or older person that has to struggle just to get the heavy bin to the sidewalk.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:29 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
The city of Prescott website states "Containers are picked up once per week and must be placed at the curbside or alley on collection day by 6:00 a.m., and removed by the end of the day." I read that as " Place you trash cans in the street next to the curb", not " leave it on the sidewalk, forcing foot traffic into the street".
Am I correct in assuming your garbage pickup is handled by Waste Management?

Here in Our Fair City, they have the trucks that shoot an arm out, pick up the container and empty it into the bin in back. With this set-up, we're told we have to have the containers in the street, facing forward, with the wheels up against the curb.

I looked at the City of Prescott site but couldn't tell if this is your system as well. But as Coop01 pointed out, even if it is, I can't put the containers out against the curb if people are parked in front of my house when I put them out.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post
I find it annoying that I have to move to the street or onto someone's property whilst someone is running on the sidewalk pushing a big stroller, walking a dog that wanders all over sidewalk, riding a bicycle, etc.

But I can deal with it. That's one of the reasons I moved from an "It's all about me" state to Arizona where I can still breath the fresh air and "live and let live". Considering the current state of the world, it seems like a small accommodation - don't you think? There are six other days you can run if you are that concerned.

Since we are parsing phases - It's called a :sidewalk" not a "siderun". There can be reasons for placing a trash container on the sidewalk. such as cars parked on the street in front of the area when the person has time to place the bins on the street. Maybe it's a disabled or older person that has to struggle just to get the heavy bin to the sidewalk.

I never said this was "all about me", I'm just using myself and my situation as an example. And sure, it may seem like a small accommodation until someone gets hit by a car because they were dodging trash cans. I'm not sure who you've encountered on the sidewalks, but I personally always make room for others to pass... can't say the same for the trash cans though. Also, like I said, given the distance covered, I'm bound to pass through an area that has trash service that day. City code doesn't state anything about running, jogging or walking on the "sidewalk", but it does say that business vendors and signs must leave 48" of travel space on the sidewalk. Why doesn't this apply to trash cans? If there is a car parked ion the street how is placing the trash can on the sidewalk make it any more accessible for the garbage truck?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Am I correct in assuming your garbage pickup is handled by Waste Management?

Here in Our Fair City, they have the trucks that shoot an arm out, pick up the container and empty it into the bin in back. With this set-up, we're told we have to have the containers in the street, facing forward, with the wheels up against the curb.

I looked at the City of Prescott site but couldn't tell if this is your system as well. But as Coop01 pointed out, even if it is, I can't put the containers out against the curb if people are parked in front of my house when I put them out.

The City of Prescott has it's own trash service, but they use the trucks with the boom arm that picks up the trash can as well. I still don't understand the parked cars argument though. Even if a car is parked curbside you'll still have to place your trashcan where there isn't a parked car, the garbage trucks won't be reaching over them.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:02 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
I'd much prefer people walk, run or jog on the sidewalk rather than obstruct traffic by doing so in the street. We have the same requirement where I live, trash cans are supposed to be placed in the street with the wheels against the curb, not blocking the sidewalk. I agree with the OP.

The people who think it's OK to block the public sidewalk by being too lazy or inconsiderate to place the cans properly are the ones with the "all about me, I can do whatever I want" attitude, not those who are properly using the sidewalk. Personally, when I come across them I move them to the street.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I'd much prefer people walk, run or jog on the sidewalk rather than obstruct traffic by doing so in the street. We have the same requirement where I live, trash cans are supposed to be placed in the street with the wheels against the curb, not blocking the sidewalk. I agree with the OP.

The people who think it's OK to block the public sidewalk by being too lazy or inconsiderate to place the cans properly are the ones with the "all about me, I can do whatever I want" attitude, not those who are properly using the sidewalk. Personally, when I come across them I move them to the street.
The trashcan issue aside - maybe both are "All about me". IMO - Properly using the sidewalk is walking and paying attention - not running, skateboarding or bicycle riding. Especially when the runner is pushing a stroller or has a dog on a leash roaming back and forth across the walkway.

Nowadaze <sic> these sidewalk jocks have the latest i-tunes blasting in their ears and can hardly hear you much less see you whilst they are texting their latest BFF. I've had to move more than once to avoid these thoughtless people. At least a trashcan doesn't jump out at you.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
IMO - Properly using the sidewalk is walking and paying attention - not running, skateboarding or bicycle riding. Especially when the runner is pushing a stroller or has a dog on a leash roaming back and forth across the walkway.
So, do your sidewalk rules exclude people in wheelchairs from using the sidewalks too? I'm fairly certain that sidewalk use is for pedestrians, and I've never heard of a sidewalk speed limit, so I'm not sure why you think runners should be excluded.

Quote:
Nowadaze <sic> these sidewalk jocks have the latest i-tunes blasting in their ears and can hardly hear you much less see you whilst they are texting their latest BFF. I've had to move more than once to avoid these thoughtless people. At least a trashcan doesn't jump out at you.
I hardly doubt any of this has ever happened to you... even once. I've put down a lot of miles around Prescott and have seen countless runners make way for other pedestrians. Can't say the same for bicyclist though.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
So, do your sidewalk rules exclude people in wheelchairs from using the sidewalks too? I'm fairly certain that sidewalk use is for pedestrians, and I've never heard of a sidewalk speed limit, so I'm not sure why you think runners should be excluded.

I hardly doubt any of this has ever happened to you... even once. I've put down a lot of miles around Prescott and have seen countless runners make way for other pedestrians. Can't say the same for bicyclist though.
OK - I concede.
They actually give tickets to runners that use the road if a sidewalk exists in Tucson, AZ.

I Suggest you contact your elected officials and request they pass an ordinance with a hefty fine if the cans are left on the sidewalk.

Next - post a special police detail (maybe VIP volunteers) on trash days before the trash is picked up and tape a warning to the container that notifies the miscreant that next time a citation will be issued. I expect you'll have a clear sidewalk after that.
Of course, that would mean another ordinance that fines runners for using the street if a sidewalk exists. Gotta be fair
Good Luck.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
Around where I live in Colorado, the trash totes have to be placed on the curbside and spaced 3 ft between a 2nd trash tote. If a car needs to park, they can find another place without obstructing the trash trucks. People who walk or run usually do so on the sidewalk, sometimes on the side of the street. I'm sure it's the same in PV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
View detailed profiles of: