Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 01:14 PM

61 posts, read 72,313 times

Advertisements

That's just great!

It's stories & articles like those above that ruin a town.

Lived through it once before & watched a once great small town be ruined in 5-6 years time.

Please tell everyone you know how horrible the Prescott area is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 01:48 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,628,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
We're on the same page there, brother! I already cast my vote for Kelli Ward. However like you I don't think she will secure the nomination. In which case I will be voting for Senator McCain.

I voted for Doug Ducey, no surprise there. As far as I'm concerned he's a straight up guy and I have not been disappointed with him as governor. Same can be said for Congressman Paul Gosar who has been an unapologetic Conservative through and through. I see we're both fans of Mike Lee and Ted Cruz. Cruz and Carson were my choices for the Republican nomination for president.

In Yavapai County, David Stringer and Noel Campbell for state representatives for District 1 and Marybeth Hrin for District 1 County Supervisor. I've really been impressed with Marybeth Hrin. She's a member of the Arizona Citizens Defense League who's efforts have been instrumental in defending and upholding the 2nd Amendment. They were successful in passing Arizona's "Constitutional Carry" law where permits are not required to carry firearms either openly or concealed. You may want to consider becoming a member of the AZCDL

Arizona as you probably know always allowed open carry without a permit. Permits were then required to carry concealed up until August of 2010 when then Governor Brewer signed "Constitutional Carry" into law. In spite of all the fear mongering of wild west shoot outs in the streets this never came to fruition.

Fortunately, Arizona has a very specific Constitutional clause in it's state Constitution regarding the bearing of arms:

I defy anyone to misinterpret that first sentence.
I've already cast my vote for Kelli Ward, I had to request a GOP ballot since I'm Independent. McCain needs to retire and enjoy life, not cling to power and greed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zo-Nee View Post
That's just great!

It's stories & articles like those above that ruin a town.

Lived through it once before & watched a once great small town be ruined in 5-6 years time.

Please tell everyone you know how horrible the Prescott area is.
In a way advertising is good, it promotes grow, tourism, extra tax dollars to stimulate the local economy and financial benefits. The downside is, it can attract the derelicts of society, changes the character of the region and demographics when new people move into the area. With that they want to gentrify the area, tear down historical areas or use eminent domain..

Old 08-28-2016, 08:30 PM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I've already cast my vote for Kelli Ward, I had to request a GOP ballot since I'm Independent. McCain needs to retire and enjoy life, not cling to power and greed.
I guess great minds think alike! I had to do the same, when I moved here I registered as "Conservative" not knowing that would be considered Independent.

Indeed McCain should retire, Flake is not much better. However I will never vote for a Democrat no matter who they are. I just wish the Republicans could do better than McCain and Flake? If Kelli Ward gets a lot of the Independent vote maybe that will wake them up? From what I can tell Kelli Ward is indeed more "Conservative". After awhile career politicians gotta' go. They get too cozy in their positions and forget about those who've elected them and why.

Unfortunately, if McCain gets the nomination we'll have to hold our nose and vote for him in the general election so at least the Republicans can still retain the senate. Otherwise, Schumer will more than likely become the next senate majority leader. God forbid the corrupt pathological liar becomes president.

Make no mistake about it. It will be the end of our "Constitutional Republic". Especially if and when the illegal invaders secure the right to vote. With a Liberal Supreme Court and federal judiciary it's only a matter of time. I sincerely believe that. What ever happened to "E Pluribus Unum?" Out of many one. We've now become a Balkanized nation whose motto should now be "Ex Unum, Pluribus" Out of one many.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:48 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,742 times
One minor gripe-

Conservative retirees, though I'm on the same ideological plane as you, you still impact the area as you:

- Raise housing cost
- Impact the health care system here
- Increase traffic
- Do not increase the demand for good restaurants or services that I use (one person previously commented that one restaurant wouldn't be here without retirees, then later commented that most of the people in such restaurant were retirees...it's existence or non-existence, other than providing a few low wage service jobs, doesn't affect the non-retire segment of the population much).

I'm not saying don't come. And if you are already here don't feel guilty about it and enjoy. It is more of a macro thing than an individual decision on where to retire thing. And I sure would rather have conservative/libertarian/common sense types move here than other types, but just keep in mind there is a local ecosystem here that is being changed by retirees coming here in mass.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
One minor gripe-

Conservative retirees, though I'm on the same ideological plane as you, you still impact the area as you:

- Raise housing cost
- Impact the health care system here
- Increase traffic
- Do not increase the demand for good restaurants or services that I use (one person previously commented that one restaurant wouldn't be here without retirees, then later commented that most of the people in such restaurant were retirees...it's existence or non-existence, other than providing a few low wage service jobs, doesn't affect the non-retire segment of the population much).

I'm not saying don't come. And if you are already here don't feel guilty about it and enjoy. It is more of a macro thing than an individual decision on where to retire thing. And I sure would rather have conservative/libertarian/common sense types move here than other types, but just keep in mind there is a local ecosystem here that is being changed by retirees coming here in mass.
As with any desirable area throughout country housing costs are related to supply and demand. Coming from the New York metro area the housing costs here are comparatively cheap. We had an 1100 sq. ft. home which sold for $300,000. Out here we bought a 2000 sq. ft. home for $250,000 and in a much nicer neighborhood than we could have ever dream of had we stayed.

We are self employed and work out of our home which allowed us to live anywhere we wanted in the country. It's such a great feeling to be able to choose where you want to live other than be forced to live where you don't.

We'd much rather spend our money in a place we'd rather be, and supporting the local economy instead of the cesspool of corruption which was New York's state and local governments. As more of us "Conservatives" abandon the "Blue" states for the "Red" states the "Red" states can only get stronger. As those that remain in the "Blue" states continue to feed at the public trough and lose electoral votes. New York already lost two congressional seats due to out migration.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:53 PM

444 posts, read 321,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I voted for Doug Ducey, no surprise there. As far as I'm concerned he's a straight up guy and I have not been disappointed with him as governor. Same can be said for Congressman Paul Gosar who has been an unapologetic Conservative through and through. I see we're both fans of Mike Lee and Ted Cruz. Cruz and Carson were my choices for the Republican nomination for president.

Apparently there is a Republican establishment super PAC that is putting money into another candidate to help defeat Gosar in the primary. I heard him being interviewed on a recent Mark Levin show, Gosar sounded impressive and is being backed by Ted Cruz. Hopefully he can win the primary. Link from National Review is shown below -

Congressional Republicans: Paul Gosar

Old 08-29-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustav View Post
Apparently there is a Republican establishment super PAC that is putting money into another candidate to help defeat Gosar in the primary. I heard him being interviewed on a recent Mark Levin show, Gosar sounded impressive and is being backed by Ted Cruz. Hopefully he can win the primary. Link from National Review is shown below -

Congressional Republicans: Paul Gosar
Thanks for sharing that article! Dr. Gosar as far has I can tell is no RINO. Neither is Ted Cruz, far from it. That's why the establishment of the Republican Party detests them so. They both stand up for Conservative principles for which they got elected. An embarrassment to their little country club to be sure.

I don't think Dr. Gosar will have any problem winning the primary and the general election.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:45 PM

59 posts, read 132,092 times
Back to the original topic: the OP was right about the negatives, but gives few positives. So that doesn't really give someone researching a place to live an accurate picture. What about the weather? The four seasons? If one only looks for the negatives in life, they won't be happy anywhere. For example, I live in a very conservative small town in the California desert. The town is ruled by the megachurch here. We have only about five or six restaurants, which are corporate. All the rest are fast food, no Mom and Pops. The weather is hot, windy or cold with no snow and no rain. No fall colors. We get the monsoonal moisture (high humidity) but no rain. No hiking trails unless you go to Joshua Tree National Park, which costs $25 to get into. The town just wants to build, build, build but conserve nothing. It's all about perspective. ☺

Old 09-18-2016, 04:33 PM

59 posts, read 132,092 times
A few more notes: Prescott's affordability factor is 93, while the poor weather and so-so scenery town I live in is 115! Yes, housing in Prescott is higher, but everything else is lower. While my town has a population of 21,000 and has 89 sex offenders, Prescott has 98 sex offenders and double the population. To me, sex offenders are more of a threat than rehabbers. (I do understand the criminal element). At one time, there was a sex offender living across the road from me! My son was six years old at the time. Most places I've researched have fewer sex offenders than here. My town's air quality is at 124, while Prescott's is 41.9. That means cleaner air there. Like I said, it's all about perspective and where you're from.

Last edited by supchick; 09-18-2016 at 05:00 PM..

Old 09-18-2016, 08:17 PM

187 posts, read 280,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supchick View Post
A few more notes: Prescott's affordability factor is 93, while the poor weather and so-so scenery town I live in is 115! Yes, housing in Prescott is higher, but everything else is lower. While my town has a population of 21,000 and has 89 sex offenders, Prescott has 98 sex offenders and double the population. To me, sex offenders are more of a threat than rehabbers. (I do understand the criminal element). At one time, there was a sex offender living across the road from me! My son was six years old at the time. Most places I've researched have fewer sex offenders than here. My town's air quality is at 124, while Prescott's is 41.9. That means cleaner air there. Like I said, it's all about perspective and where you're from.
Air quality? In what denomination??

cheers..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott