U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 3,055 times

Advertisements

Hi! As the post says, I was wondering if in Arizona this exists? We currently live in Florida and the town offers dual enrollment for high school students to take college classes for college credit.

We are interested in moving to Flagstaff or Payson, or Sedona or Prescott or any of the places in that area of Arizona. I currently have a fourth grader but he is exceptionally bright and education is very important to us.

We are also wondering what great schools there were???

And lastly....I have a mother who is elderly, so healthcare is also important for us....

Thank you sooo very much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 11:03 AM

181 posts, read 193,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryGladys View Post
Hi! As the post says, I was wondering if in Arizona this exists? We currently live in Florida and the town offers dual enrollment for high school students to take college classes for college credit.

We are interested in moving to Flagstaff or Payson, or Sedona or Prescott or any of the places in that area of Arizona. I currently have a fourth grader but he is exceptionally bright and education is very important to us.

We are also wondering what great schools there were???

And lastly....I have a mother who is elderly, so healthcare is also important for us....

Thank you sooo very much!!!!
Hi!

Dual enrollment can be found, but often students/parents prefer to go the AP route. AP courses are the equivalent of college courses and the student takes a test at the end and based on score they earn college credit. Prescott High and Bradshaw Mountain both offer a lot of AP courses. Las I heard, Bradshaw offered the most.

I know Bradshaw has a few dual enrollment courses, not sure about Prescott High School.

Bradshaw is the high school in Prescott Valley - Humboldt Unified School District.

All of the public schools are good up here. Schools grades have done away in AZ, for now, but almost all schools had an A+, A, B, or B+ rating last time grades were given. Both districts have unique schools that are meant to compete with some of the charters - including Liberty Traditional in PV (Humboldt District).

There are charters, but I am not a charter supporter. They often do not play by the same rules (in most cases, though there are a few exceptions) and I do not condone what many of them do. By not offering all services that district schools offer (transportation and food) they limit the students who go there (lower income students need those services), so they end up with a skewed population that is not equal to the district schools. Unethical in my book.

But there are several charters in the area - but, if your kids play sports (or plan to), forget about it - most don't offer them or if they do they are just club or more like intramural. And most charters were also on that A-B range for schools grades, but there are a few that were Cs.

As for healthcare, there are a lot of options and more and more every day. Two hospitals. We used to have a shortage of physicians, but that seems to be improved and it continues to improve.

Just a note on dual enrollment...I do not know what the impact is going to be, but the community college here used to offer the dual enrollment tuition free and they just decided to charge tuition. I have no idea yet what that impact will have on the courses that are offered dual at the local high schools. Will students/parents have to pay it? No idea. Schools in A are significantly underfunded, so I do not foresee schools/districts absorbing this cost. To early to tell what the impact will be.

Hope all that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or