Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:55 PM

39 posts, read 176,723 times

Advertisements

Prescott businesses wish to find understanding with recovery community | The Daily Courier

20+ years we moved here and invested in our retirement.

It is now become a bittersweet experience of rehabs, massive homelessness and dysfunction.

Look at all angles before you move here. Used to be a great town. Not anymore to many residents.

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
Attracting former drug addicts to a city for an artificial tax base, boost in business, and subsidizing tax dollars for their mistakes needs to stop. Addiction isn't a disability, it's a choice. I believe it's time people of Prescott need to vote out the politicians in office who want this kind of activity in the city for the sake of boosting the economy.

If you want to make the local economy boom, attract high tech, white collar jobs such as Intel, AMD, Fortune 500 companies, and promote small start up businesses. Compete against other small cities, convince them why they want to relocate to Prescott and PV for the right reasons.

I will still move to Prescott, because it's one of the most desirable places for people to retire, it has an ideal climate year round with 4 seasons, and cost of living is reasonably cheap compared to where I currently live in CO.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:33 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavis View Post
Prescott businesses wish to find understanding with recovery community | The Daily Courier

20+ years we moved here and invested in our retirement.

It is now become a bittersweet experience of rehabs, massive homelessness and dysfunction.

Look at all angles before you move here. Used to be a great town. Not anymore to many residents.

Scott
I don't understand? If it really is as bad as you say, then why do you stay here?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:10 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Attracting former drug addicts to a city for an artificial tax base, boost in business, and subsidizing tax dollars for their mistakes needs to stop. Addiction isn't a disability, it's a choice. I believe it's time people of Prescott need to vote out the politicians in office who want this kind of activity in the city for the sake of boosting the economy.

If you want to make the local economy boom, attract high tech, white collar jobs such as Intel, AMD, Fortune 500 companies, and promote small start up businesses. Compete against other small cities, convince them why they want to relocate to Prescott and PV for the right reasons.

I will still move to Prescott, because it's one of the most desirable places for people to retire, it has an ideal climate year round with 4 seasons, and cost of living is reasonably cheap compared to where I currently live in CO.
There's no doubt about that. Sure there may be homeless people downtown or in Granite Creek Park. But it's not like you're coming into contact with them on a daily basis or having drug addicts lurking around on every corner of every street in every neighborhood. I agree 100% that addiction is not a disability. People make a conscientious choice to use illegal drugs. We can blame their inclusion in the "Americans with disabilities act" squarely on the federal government. This I believe has led to the proliferation of group homes in this area and others throughout the United States. I don't believe that our local officials want this problem foisted upon them for economic reasons. If anything it will hurt the local economy. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The big question is: How do you stop anyone from renting their properties to people without running afoul of anti discrimination laws? That I believe is what our state and local politicians are dealing with today. No matter who gets elected that is the problem they will have to deal with. Democrats will only make the problem worse. Drug addicts, and criminals are part of their core constituency. Democrats view them as victims and blame society for the bad choices they've made in life. Obama just recently pardoned dozens of them who were serving prison sentences, mostly for engaging in the drug trade.
Quote:
Obama commutes sentences of 61 drug offenders -...
Obama commutes sentences of 61 drug offenders - Washington Times
We certainly can not look to the Democrats to solve this problem. All they want to do is force their sordid agenda on the rest of us. So far they are succeeding. You don't have to be a nuclear physicist to be able to figure out all the crime and mayhem that is associated by those who engage in the illicit drug trade. Both the sellers and those who use their products.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:49 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,301 times
I do not see where rehabs have caused an increase in crime in the area,granted they should limit the amount of these homes but what problems are these homes causing?

The homeless are everywhere since obama took office but I fail to see how that relates to rehab homes?

Old 04-20-2016, 05:04 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,975,606 times
I think drug addition in the initial phases is a choice. But after that it becomes...well...an addiction and the amount of personal control over taking drugs wanes over time. Romans 6:8

I'm down town fairly often. I hang out at the local coffee shops and see some of the rehab "scum" that the people talk about on this forum with so much disdain. I've never had any problems. At least the rehab houses bring in people under 30 instead of young people being defined as ex-government employees from rich states who get to retire in their 50ies...

Does that mean I'm in favor of 100+ half way houses in the Prescott metro? No...that is probably too much for this size of a community. But maybe the community should maybe get involved and support the idea of trying to be a part of salvaging the next generation of Americans rather than throwing them to the wolves.

Now the homeless problem around the Fry's and the park area is a potential serious issue. It isn't because Prescott PD/City isn't allowing it to become one yet but I'd say that is the only area that I'd have any real concern with other than stumbling afoul of some meth heads NOT in rehab out in PV.

People, regulating the half way houses - GOOD. Regulating but supporting young people who are fighting for their very eternity was well as their lives against a hard sin to over come - BETTER.

Last edited by infocyde; 04-20-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 12:59 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times
Things are subject to change over the years and it's not always for the good.
There is no way I could live in my hometown now it's degraded so bad.
And placed we lived since and enjoyed have changed to.
Sometime I think that you just have to deal with the changes or start over.
We are getting older and stick to ourselves and home pretty much now. But the people I have met in this area since moving here in 2008 are still very friendly and outgoing.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:26 PM

354 posts, read 414,715 times
I think it is all how you view life. The glass is half full or empty. To awake each morning and watch the sun rise is refreshing and satisfying to me. I am grateful to be alive. If you think that Prescott has a homeless problem, drive to San Diego area. It is our culture now. Addiction to alcohol, drugs or food is the norm. Maybe next time you see a homeless person offer them a smile and nod.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:15 PM

39 posts, read 176,723 times
Default Prescott is Every Addicts Hometown!

In Prescott ? ?everybody?s hometown? ? 150 programs offer treatment to addicts | HookedAZ

Last edited by scottdavis; 05-08-2016 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: broken url

Old 06-22-2016, 08:00 PM

24 posts, read 37,474 times
Default Since Obama took office

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
I do not see where rehabs have caused an increase in crime in the area,granted they should limit the amount of these homes but what problems are these homes causing?

The homeless are everywhere since obama took office but I fail to see how that relates to rehab homes?
Short tunnel vision, selective memory autism360. Obama was handed an economy in utter ruins. The worst since the 1930's Depression. He also took the reins of the office just as this train wreck was occurring. The Bush recession has taken so long to recover from because of how bad it really was after his eight years of colossal ideology and policy failure. The local drug rehab and homeless problems in Prescott have absolutely nothing to do with Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott