Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:23 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
I'm a current Californian and couldn't agree more with your statement. Californians, and maybe people from other states as well for all I know, have the bad habit of moving someplace and wanting to make the place just like the place they left instead of adopting the lifestyle of the area they moved into. This has happened all over the PNW and Austin that I've personally seen. They are working on Dallas now...
This only shows if California were to solve it's housing crisis, the scores of how many people would move back in a heartbeat and hurt those economies in the various cities you mentioned including Phoenix here in AZ which looks to be growing faster than average today. Considering the growth in various cities from ex-Californians, it's great for other states and local economy. Those new residents of course bring their cultural values with them which of course everyone hates. So if those people go back, you lose the growth. Two sides of the coin here lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 11:14 AM

479 posts, read 802,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
This only shows if California were to solve it's housing crisis, the scores of how many people would move back in a heartbeat and hurt those economies in the various cities you mentioned including Phoenix here in AZ which looks to be growing faster than average today. Considering the growth in various cities from ex-Californians, it's great for other states and local economy. Those new residents of course bring their cultural values with them which of course everyone hates. So if those people go back, you lose the growth. Two sides of the coin here lol.
I guess that all depends if you think growth is a good thing. The negatives of all the growth I've seen FAR outweigh the positives....but that's just my opinion. I only go to PHX to mountain bike and while I'm sure you could give me a list of positives regarding the growth there, the resulting traffic you have alone would keep me from moving to PHX even if you gave me a house for free.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:15 AM

479 posts, read 802,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Don't forget, Californians (I live in Orange County myself at the moment) have worked on Denver/Boulder, and they're working on Reno and Las Vegas (Nevada is already blue-ish).

If I want the California lifestyle that bad, I'll just put up with the bats**t politics, high taxes, and bad traffic in the major urban areas and live in California. I mean, I actually like L.A. and the Bay Area with those three facts notwithstanding. However, and maybe because I'm not a native Californian, I wouldn't want to do my part to "Californicate" Prescott, Tucson, Albuquerque, or Oklahoma City if I were to ever move to one of those places. I mean, I'm referring to things like politics, higher taxation, and status consciousness when I say "Californicate," because I'd honestly always welcome the awesome things like In-N-Out, The Habit, Sharky's, and Philz Coffee!
I get it

Old 01-17-2017, 11:18 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
Some Californians tend to freak out when they attend one of our gun shows.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:07 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Some Californians tend to freak out when they attend one of our gun shows.
Other than some nefarious purpose that they think they can make an issue out of. I'm surprised they would even attend. They probably freak out just knowing we have them.

They succeeded in canceling them in Westchester County, New York. But were re-instated when a Republican was elected as the county executive and the county legislature didn't have enough votes to override his veto.

It wasn't much of a show anyway at least not like the ones we have out here. You need a permit just to own a handgun so you couldn't buy one there and take it home with you. You could buy one but could not take possession of it until it was registered with the state and depending on which county you lived in that could take up to a year. This in spite of the fact that you already have a concealed weapons permit. That is because all handguns that are lawfully owned are listed on the permit. Upon the purchase of an additional handgun you must file for an amended permit and deal with all of the bureaucratic nonsense that goes along with it.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:45 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
Yeah, that "SAFE Act" didn't seem to work out all that well for NY. Most folks seem to have simply ignored it.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:58 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Yeah, that "SAFE Act" didn't seem to work out all that well for NY. Most folks seem to have simply ignored it.
That was passed solely for political retribution. What better way to punish your political enemies than to criminalize their otherwise lawful activity? Cuomo even boasted after the act was passed that: "Those who do not think like him are not welcome in New York".

We left well before the "Safe Act was passed. However the writing was always on the wall and always will be for those that remain in that God awful place.

Hopefully with a few more justices named to the U.S. Supreme Court things will change for residents of California, New York and states like it. Unfortunately not without a long and protracted court fight which could take decades to decide.

Unfortunately for those who have ignored the "Safe Act" they now face criminal prosecution if they are ever caught in possession of what is now considered contraband. Or for failing to register what the state classifies as so called "assault weapon".

Thank God for Arizona that we have a very specific clause in our state constitution regarding the bearing of arms which is indeed specific and more to the point than our federal one. Make no mistake about it there is no way to misinterpret it:

Quote:
"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men"
I believe that Gov. Doug Ducey will be appointing more justices to our state Supreme Court. That can only be a good thing.

My God, how I love this state!

Old 01-17-2017, 06:30 PM

243 posts, read 298,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
They come in and they want to turn it into the s---hole that they just left from with the there way of doing things.
They get on the local boards and the first thing you know all the local people are pushed off the boards and then all the new rules and law start to be shoved down the throats of the people that live there
I saw time and time again in Utah where I'm from and was always the person who moved there that they wanted to change the place to there way of thinking instead of going with local way of doing things
++ Henry1

Old 01-18-2017, 12:34 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Thanks will look into watching that. I read quite a bit into those banking practices too and mind you, not just banks doing this kind of crap. Tons of other investment instutitions do the same thing. But yeah, it's too bad we taxpayers foot this kind of crap.

While doing my research a while back, I came across these very informational videos for those who don't have the patience to read into the details. Gives a very good background into what's the problem and possible solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAlA4hZ94OI&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVVO8b4vvis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3rzN42HE00&t=818s
Pretty good videos that cover basic economics, I watched the first one. Will have to watch the other two.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:13 PM

354 posts, read 415,175 times
Default I think people like to *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I see quite a few comments here in the Prescott forum about people relocating from California to Prescott (and the area in general), and most of the comments are of concern with this phenomenon.

Why, may I ask?

Is it primarily due to people with a wad of cash selling California homes, and driving up real estate prices? Is it more Arizonian people usually don't care so much for the California "values" coming to the region?

Is there truly a significant percentile of Californians transplanting to the region?

To me it seems Prescott, being on multiple "Best place to retire" type lists over the last few years, would be on the radar of many people spread across the U.S., not just Californians. I am simply not seeing the industry and employment in Prescott/Prescott Valley to draw in blue or white collar folks from any region in the U.S. to Prescott, so it is heavy on the retiree transplants, correct?

I never seem to see complaints about, say retired Minnesotans coming to Prescott.

Tell me about it........
A good 70 percent of people who relocate to the area are from California and they like to *****. The most miserable people I run into are from California and I am from California. Pay no attention to them. People in this area are friendly and caring in general. Most people who relocate here are retired and some folks these days are unhappy. Many want all the conveniences of the big city but don't want the growth but they go hand and hand. I welcome Californians, they can bring their liberal and democratic ideas with them as far as I am concern, as this area needs more blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott