Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:51 PM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeela View Post
Funny, I found myself disagreeing with him on everything too. :-)
That makes three of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 02:35 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That makes three of us!
Make that 4 keeping in mind new homes with new water efficient appliances,landscaping and plumbing are far more efficient than older homes.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:03 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,628,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Make that 4 keeping in mind new homes with new water efficient appliances,landscaping and plumbing are far more efficient than older homes.
Make that 5.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:13 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
Your first link references southeast AZ, which is irrelevant for the Little Chino aquifer, which is Prescott's water source.

Your second link is outdated and has some vague references to diminishing water, but no details.

Your third link has well postings for the Big Chino aquifer and the Verde aquifer, which again is irrelevant for the Little Chino aquifer.
To be honest I didn't look at the links...but if the Verde aquifer is depleting I wouldn't be so quick to say that is irrelevant. Considering things are interconnected that is a sign worth paying attention to.

That being said, I seriously doubt the area will run out of water in 10 years. From my understanding of aquifers (which granted is very limited) you will have lots of sink holes pop out of nowhere long before water depletion becomes a looming crisis. The sink holes are the first signs. When those start showing up I would worry, but I wouldn't expect those to show up anytime soon. Eventually, sure. But not for a long time to come...and when the do come, those who lobbied hard for expanding the population here will have cashed out and moved on decades before...

Old 08-09-2017, 07:40 PM

60 posts, read 62,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
...those who lobbied hard for expanding the population here will have cashed out and moved on decades before...
EXACTLY!!!

I'm invested in the area & intend to stay.

I pay attention to the FACT that many land owners wells have gone dry.

Read & absorb the information in the reports.

How did the aquifer develop?

How is it being replenished?

How many of you are aware that you may be drinking "treated waste-water effluent"?

Old 08-09-2017, 09:13 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,072 times
The question to ask is what is the over draft? The local water agency should have that information. If Prescott/Prescott Valley is over drafting you will run out of water some day.

I live in an area where this is some dispute about how much water is in our aquifer. We have moved towards water conservation and most yards are now Xeriscaped. We are being cautious as water is a precious resource.

As to the rest:

Californians will move to Arizona. Most Californians tend to lean towards the liberal spectrum. Some do not. I am one of those conservatives as I was brought up with Arizona values. Both my parents met and married in Phoenix. I lived in Phoenix about 10 years before heading to California.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
The question to ask is what is the over draft? The local water agency should have that information. If Prescott/Prescott Valley is over drafting you will run out of water some day....
Based upon the older studies, approximately 1.5' annually.

http://www.azwater.gov/azdwr/Statewi...as/default.htm

http://www.azwater.gov/azdwr/Statewi..._PRE_final.pdf

Old 08-10-2017, 10:55 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
To be honest I didn't look at the links...but if the Verde aquifer is depleting I wouldn't be so quick to say that is irrelevant. Considering things are interconnected that is a sign worth paying attention to.

That being said, I seriously doubt the area will run out of water in 10 years. From my understanding of aquifers (which granted is very limited) you will have lots of sink holes pop out of nowhere long before water depletion becomes a looming crisis. The sink holes are the first signs. When those start showing up I would worry, but I wouldn't expect those to show up anytime soon. Eventually, sure. But not for a long time to come...and when the do come, those who lobbied hard for expanding the population here will have cashed out and moved on decades before...
Fair enough, there may be some relevance through comparison. In any case, I was mostly disturbed by the hyperbole of running out of water in 10 years. It seems like there is a great deal of alarmism in communication lately, which gets tiring.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:39 PM

558 posts, read 970,545 times
The city of Prescott water department had a booth at the Earth Day event on the Courthouse Plaza and they showed me a chart over time of the average water usage per home in Prescott. I was pleasantly shocked at how the average has dropped precipitously since the city started their water conservation campaign. I can't remember the exact numbers but over the last ten years the average per month dropped from around 6000 gallons/month to more like 1200 gallons/month.

A city council member assured me that the water savings were NOT being given to new developments as allocations to allow more construction.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post
The city of Prescott water department had a booth at the Earth Day event on the Courthouse Plaza and they showed me a chart over time of the average water usage per home in Prescott. I was pleasantly shocked at how the average has dropped precipitously since the city started their water conservation campaign. I can't remember the exact numbers but over the last ten years the average per month dropped from around 6000 gallons/month to more like 1200 gallons/month.

A city council member assured me that the water savings were NOT being given to new developments as allocations to allow more construction.
Individual water conservation is admirable.

Did they include information on how many new users there are over the last 10 years?

Any information on rain water harvesting & storage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott