Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should city motto change to 'Welcome to Retirement Hometown'?
Yes 10 25.00%
No 18 45.00%
Pizza 12 30.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 11:20 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times

Advertisements

Thanks Elkotronics for the clarity that others just don't seem to get. I'm pretty staunch regarding my stance of this debacle of the seniors being strapped with the burdens of youngsters cranking out their babies mainly due to the extreme applications I've endured here in Utah, capital of babyhood in this country. In THIS state it's ALL about babies (and mormons). Just another set of reasons I'm heading OUT of here. It's one thing when it might effect a persons yearly property tax say $25 or $50..............quite another when they slam you for several hundred dollars. That was my primary point. Especially when one is on a completely fixed income. My personal situation is there won't ever be a true "retirement". I'll ALWAYS have to maintain a 2nd income of some kind just to keep bills changed, so it's must more incentive to feel the way I do. I'll be the first to tell you that when I was 20, 30 or 40 I never gave this stuff a thought. When you get into your 60's it's "in your face" big time. Especially when you have your first medical bill slap you in the face over $50k wondering how you'll pay for that when they slap you once again for school crap. Yeah it's a completely different perspective indeed, and you'll have a very hard time getting folks under the retirement age to realize it or agree with it, just knowing their time is coming when they WILL wake up. This of course unless they are the select group of those with fat 401K's and retirement funds well in place due to their wonderful high paying jobs they've enjoyed. That is by far NOT the majority however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 09:21 PM

479 posts, read 802,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
By 2034, the benefits won't be pay out it's full promise. The reduction in benefits will be 23% less.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/879044001/

They always say this but it never happens. Social Security continues to pay out full benefit amounts. It would not look good an any sitting President to cut Social Security benefits for Americans. You can continue to count on receiving your Social Security benefits and anyone who tells you you won't continue to receive them has some sort of rabid fear or funky agenda blazing inside them.

Even if politicians take from the Social Security fund it will always re-fund through the normal processes in place and be fully-funded when you need to start drawing out from it.
Exactly....all those people with high paying jobs (like my wife) pay the max into social security every year. My parents never once made enough in a year to pay the max. *Properly invested*, social security SHOULD BE flush with money. Unfortunately, politicians elected to allow immigrants who never paid into the system to be able to collect.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:30 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
Exactly....all those people with high paying jobs (like my wife) pay the max into social security every year. My parents never once made enough in a year to pay the max. *Properly invested*, social security SHOULD BE flush with money. Unfortunately, politicians elected to allow immigrants who never paid into the system to be able to collect.
Hmmm and pray tell what administration was all over THAT idea, that immigrants who were either illegals or never paid in should gain benefits from SS? Most of us won't have to think too hard on this one.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:01 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Hmmm and pray tell what administration was all over THAT idea, that immigrants who were either illegals or never paid in should gain benefits from SS? Most of us won't have to think too hard on this one.
Any American citizen can collect social security at age 62 regardless of whether they paid into the system, so if a dreamer brings over their 60 year old parents and they get citizenship they can both collect social security when they are 62. Social security disability requires you to have worked for several years to be eligible but you can collect social security disability through the social security trust fund without having worked 1 day. Also you can collect social security at a much younger age if you are simply a legal resident(not citizen) and you are considered to be disabled. So if I bring my disabled relative from another country here they can immediately obtain social security disability as soon as they get here regardless of their age through ssi.
If I bring my disabled son,daughter, wife, parents,grandparents here from any country they can obtain social security disability regardless of age and the fact that they speak no english makes it easier for them to qualify because the social security office sees lack of english language comprehension as an added disability in obtaining employment.
Now you understand why the social security fund is going bankrupt.In many muslim countries they practice incest so the children have a very high rate of disability and as soon as they get here they can start getting social security for their entire lives with a qualifying disability without a single member of their family paying a dime into the system..

Last edited by autism360; 11-25-2017 at 06:09 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 10:00 AM

354 posts, read 415,175 times
Autism you watch too much Fox News.

Part of what you say is true but let me provide you the facts. It is not that easy to qualify for Social Security Disability. Have you known anyone who was on SS disability? I have known several people and since they did not pay much into the system their benefits were only $250 or less. But, that is another subject matter. Many do not qualify.
Can non-ctiizens receive disability benefits?

Can Non-Citizens Receive Disability Benefits?
The vast majority of individuals who receive Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits are U.S. citizens, but both the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs contain provisions under which certain non-citizens may qualify for disability benefits.
To qualify for benefits under SSDI, all non-citizens must meet the following basic requirements:
They must have a Social Security Number that was assigned to them on or after January 1, 2004 authorizing them to work in the U.S., OR
They must have a non-immigrant visa that is a B-1, D-1, or D-2, AND
They must be able to prove that they are in the U.S. lawfully in any given month for which benefits would be paid through SSDI, AND
They must be able to satisfy all other eligibility criteria (technical and medical) for receiving SSDI benefits.
It is important to note that while some non-citizens may meet all the eligibility criteria for receiving SSDI benefits, many do not. Even if an individual is in the U.S. lawfully and is authorized to work by the Social Security Administration, many non-citizen students and other workers are exempt from paying Social Security taxes.
The lack of contributions to the SSDI fund over the course of these non-citizens’ employment disqualifies them from receiving disability benefits, as they do not meet the basic technical criteria to be eligible for SSDI.
Qualification for SSI benefits for a non-citizen is even more complex. Not only does the individual have to meet the basic eligibility criteria (medical and technical), for the program, but they must also:
be a “qualified alien”, and
meet one of the predefined “conditions” or circumstances for eligibility.
Notably, all categories and conditions for SSI are based on the effective date of August 22, 1996, which is the legal date under which the SSI provisions for non-citizen benefit eligibility under the program went into effect.
There are eight primary categories of qualified aliens under the provisions of SSI. To meet one of these categories, non-citizens must satisfy one of the following requirements:
He or she must be an LAPR, or Lawfully Admitted Permanent Resident of the U.S.
He or she must have been conditionally admitted to the U.S. under the “Conditional Entrants” laws prior to April 1, 1980
Under specific circumstances, he or she must be a parolee in the U.S. for a period of one year or more
He or she must hold refugee status
He or she must have been granted asylum in the U.S. if removal or deportation from the U.S. is not possible for specific reasons
He or she must be a Haitian or Cuban non-citizen who was granted admittance to the U.S. under the Refugee Education and Assistance Act of 1980
He or she must be an alien (or in some instances, a family member of another alien) who has suffered extreme cruelty or battery in one’s own nation
Under a few other circumstances, non-citizens may also sometimes qualify for SSI benefits. These include:
American Indians that hold membership in a federally recognized tribe and who were born in Canada.
Special immigrants from Afghanistan or Iraq who gave the U.S. government or military assistance while overseas.
Human trafficking victims, under specific circumstances.
In addition to meeting one of the categories previously listed, non-citizens must also satisfy one of the SSA’s predefined conditions or circumstantial criteria. To learn more about qualification under these conditions, visit the SSA’s website.
Printer-friendly version Send by email

Old 11-26-2017, 03:58 PM

479 posts, read 802,155 times
That doesn't change anything that Autism360 stated...

NO immigrant out refugee that didn't pay into the system should get money out of it.....under any circumstance. IF that is going to be the case, US citizens who didn't pay into the system should get the the same benefit.

....and yes, after working in law enforcement for 31 years, I dealt with *thousands* of people getting SSI because they were too lazy to work, scammed he system and now get free money every month.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:17 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I see things like this as by design. If the USA is too powerful it is harder for us to be integrated into a one world system. Clip our wings a bit by funding a lot of dead weight and outsourcing our economy, our power fades and the perceived need to do everything "multilaterally" grows...

Plus all these benefits sure buy a lot of democratic votes don't they?

Note: Not saying I like the republicans, just saying that dems absolutely buy votes with benefits. Republicans are guilty of other sins, which others can point out if they wish without negating the point.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:50 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,063 times
I have a relative who is married to a noncitizen and she has received ssi for a disability for over 10 years , she is not a citizen and has not worked 1 day in the US.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:25 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I have a relative who is married to a noncitizen and she has received ssi for a disability for over 10 years , she is not a citizen and has not worked 1 day in the US.

I'm wondering if SSI Disability Gub-Mint workers can make exemptions for certain foreigners in the U.S. who have never worked a day of work in the U.S. Something at "their discretion" that wouldn't be the general rule but they could make an exception if they felt really sorry for someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott