U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 02:31 AM

3 posts, read 11,179 times

Advertisements

Prescott is a great place to live. I would say decent paying jobs are probably a problem because there is a shortage. Traffic can't get a little bad considering the size of town. With Prescott Valley and North Phoenix continuing to grow I am assuming more and more people will commute from Prescott to Phoenix meaning more people and traffic. On the bright side that will probably mean more jobs and more opportunities to start a business if your up for that. Other than that, the weather is great. Summer nights in Prescott are amazing, not to hot not to cold but just right! Shopping outlets are growing by the year with more stores and more choices. Entertainment continues to grow and there seems to be more and more things to do every year. Move here quick and get here before eveyone else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 06:22 PM

2,203 posts, read 6,125,037 times
Default What exactly is that "essential character of Arizona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
I've always thought of Prescott as a refuge for those who would really rather be living in Colorado or Utah, but would take Yavapai County if they had to live in Arizona. A place in Arizona for people who don't really like Arizona...or at least don't like the desert. I always though Prescott was rather chilly in winter and frosts can come surprisingly late in the year...dooming your fruit trees to another year of zero production. I know it's nice in the summer, but the essential character of Arizona seems to me rather faint there.
Steve97415 brings up an interesting observation. I'm curious as to what constitutes "Arizona character", since Prescott is one of the oldest towns in AZ. (Check out this book written in 1878 http://southwest.library.arizona.edu....1_div.12.html Back then Phx had a population of 500 and Prescott/Yavapai county had the largest population in AZ. What a difference a century makes!) Arizona is so diverse, both in weather and in character, it's very hard to define. Certainly there's that "southwest" feel of places like Sedona, Tucson, Tombstone and Apache Junction; but then there's the mountain towns, and the reservations, and the Phoenix sprawl. What exactly defines "Arizona character"?

Old 12-24-2006, 01:21 AM

1,309 posts, read 3,938,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
SWhat exactly defines "Arizona character"?
I don't think it's definable; it's something that one feels. The essential character of a place is something that lets you know you must be in a particular state because no other state in the union has a place with the same vibe and the same landscape. When you are on the beach in San Diego, you know that you're in California. But when you're up in the high sierra of Kings Canyon the essential character of California is less evident -- you could just as easily be in western Montana, Colorado or Idaho.
Tucson, I would say, displays the essential character of Arizona. When you see pictures of Tucson, you know that what you are looking at has to be in Arizona. For better or for worse, there is no place in California or New Mexico or any other state that is like Tucson. Places like Flagstaff and Prescott, to my mind, have close parallels in Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado and parts of eastern California. The High Southwest has a very expansive spread. In more southerly latitudes, such landscapes and climates are found only above 5,000 ft. Farther north, very similar areas exist at lower altitudes.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:27 AM

1,309 posts, read 3,938,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austim_mom View Post
I WILL TELL YOU WHATS WRONG WITH PRESCOTT,
IVE LIVED HERE FOR 14 YRS AND I HATE IT MOVING TO OREGON IN MARCH
How do you know that Oregon will be any better for you? I didn't see many things on your list that are any better here (I've spent about 15 years in both AZ and OR). The summers are not as hot, but they are very dry, and the long cloudy winters may have you longing for that Arizona sunshine.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:53 AM

437 posts, read 63,180 times
Drag your Xmas tree carcass to the curb. That warm, fuzzy feeling is all over now. The credit card balance is all that's left.

"Move here quick and get here before everyone else"

More crazy sarcasm. I love it. Everyone's here already of course (but we can always squeeze more in).

Want to rile some natives? Fly the Golden State flag next to Old Glory in your front yard and keep your California license plates on your Hummer and Lexus as long as you can.

Today on local radio was a piece about Young's Farm in Dewey. Natives around the Prescott/PV area know the Young's Farm story (complicated water issues are part of the story, but open agricultural land has long become an eyesore to developers chomping at the bit to create more garbage-y tract homes and custom home sites), but Aaron Young was elaborating about his and the long-term residents emotional response to the demise of the farm. Aaron said he is heading to Oregon when the sale is wrapped up - why Oregon he didn't say.

Prescott? Come on out! Remember though, you're not getting 'old Prescott', you're getting version 2.0. The vehicular traffic is light compared to SoCal, but there's traffic nonetheless, along with the annual waves of tourists, rising taxes (not unique to Prescott of course!), rising HOA fees, controlled (and uncontrolled) burns, limited employment base, and on the flip side - plenty of big box places to spend your pension & SSI checks, a beloved 'In-an-Out Burger' (try the fries!) so you aging boomers with the expanding waistlines can feed at the trough of arterial wall narrowing fast food (we're trying to bring Rubio's, Baja Fresh and Californian Pizza Kitchen). Sorry, no Trader Joe's, the demographics don't support it (you'll have to make that delightful drive to the Metro Center in the fun-filled Phoenix area) for your Greek Yogurt and Two-Buck Chuck fix.

In the building trades and/or experienced in real estate with very good to excellent financial resources? Want to participate in further build-out? Come on! Help cram us in a little more, we can get around the protected forest lands, just wait and see. There's talk of it already. Where there's a will, there's a way. Money talks, BS walks. I got mine. Look at me. I'm from California. Outta the way. Hubba hubba.

So, come on out, get that second home, put a couple more vehicles on the road, join the 'Rugged Outdoor People (who wear $150 Pendelton shirts) Club', rip up the trails in your 4 x 4, volunteer at the 'Save the Bark Beetle' Foundation. You can make a difference. Cowboy up baby.

Last edited by brian_2; 12-26-2006 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-26-2006, 11:02 AM

2,203 posts, read 6,125,037 times
Default "Character" vs Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
The essential character of a place is something that lets you know you must be in a particular state because no other state in the union has a place with the same vibe and the same landscape. . .
Tucson, I would say, displays the essential character of Arizona. When you see pictures of Tucson, you know that what you are looking at has to be in Arizona. . . . Places like Flagstaff and Prescott, to my mind, have close parallels in Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado and parts of eastern California.
Yes, there's Tucson, and you might add Wickenburg and maybe Tombstone and Bisbee into the mix. What's really sad, tho, is just as mentioned in Brian's last post: things are changing and changing rapidly. However one defines Arizona's character, or even the character of places like Prescott, Flagstaff, and Wickenburg, it's waning quickly. It seems developers and city dads and growth advocates ("We need the growth to keep property taxes down") have little regard for the past or the future, but are so focused on the present they've got blinders on. What happens to a town when that "essential character" is gone? We all just become a mini-Phoenix with nothing more to offer than cookie-cutter subdivisions, big box stores and traffic congestion and good weather. Right now, yes, I love the "character" of Prescott, and wish it could stay that way (or rather go back to the way it was 5-10 years ago). My hope is that the unrelenting growth will not affect the central historical elements of the area, but I'm sure that's not possible. What can I say? It's relatively good for now, and I'm hoping (unrealistically) that it will stay that way.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,694 times
Default re: What's not to like about Prescott?

gptaz-
I am from OH originally and moved to Prescott 10 years ago. I lived in Prescott for 1.5 years and had to move for financial reasons, at the time there were no good paying jobs available. It is the most beautiful place I have ever been......and someday I will move back!!

We visited in '05, alot has changed, especially the growth of surrounding areas like Prescott Valley, and as mentioned the traffic was a bit worse. The people in Prescott are great! It is much more freindly there than anywhere I have been on the east coast.

After visiting in '05 I am even more determined to move back....

Old 12-29-2006, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 19,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gptaz View Post
I've been exploring Prescott on-line. I can't find anything bad! That's good!

If anyone can give me more info' (good or bad.) I would appreciate it.

Thanks
gptaz
Prescott is great for living but not for high paying jobs. I live in a small town right outside of Prescott. The town is really growing. Prescott Valley right next to Prescott is really growing and has about the same climate. It is really nice here in the summer time. High is usually in the 90's and winter time we get just enough snow to let us know it is winter time. We got a dusting of snow last night. Hope this helps

Old 12-29-2006, 10:07 PM

610 posts, read 2,214,700 times
The only thing I thought was wrong with Prescott was that it's too small for being nearly the only Eden in an otherwise harsh land which translates to; not quite enough amenities and a little far from the nearest town with enough amenities to make up for it. Plenty of room east and south of town - in the hills - for homesites though. A beautiful place and the only town in Arizona I think I'd consider.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:48 AM

452 posts, read 970,077 times
how does the hospital pay its RN's? I heard that is a nice hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott