Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 07:50 PM

29 posts, read 34,413 times

Advertisements

Well, if we do make the move my wife mentioned the possibility of a Mother-in-Law cottage rather than extra bedroom. Are these popular in Prescott/PV? Obviously we'd need the right size lot, but would anything else be holding us back; city restrictions, etc? Is the cost of construction reasonable in Prescott and PV (still haven't settled on an area yet.)

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 09:19 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,913,799 times
You typically cannot legally build a guest cottage in any location that is zoned for single-family residences. You can build an attached casita, but it cannot have cooking facilities. The zoning laws are written that way so that people who live in single-family areas do not have neighbors who rent out cottages to third parties. There are some older homes in Prescott that have detached cottages which existed prior to the current zoning laws or which exist in multi-family zoned areas.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:28 PM

558 posts, read 969,927 times
I knew someone who built a home in Stoneridge which had a casita with a separate entrance. Don't remember if it had a kitchen or not.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:57 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
You typically cannot legally build a guest cottage in any location that is zoned for single-family residences. You can build an attached casita, but it cannot have cooking facilities. The zoning laws are written that way so that people who live in single-family areas do not have neighbors who rent out cottages to third parties. There are some older homes in Prescott that have detached cottages which existed prior to the current zoning laws or which exist in multi-family zoned areas.
Wow. So much for live and let live.

Looks like we made the right decision to buy down in the Valley.

How does Prescott prevent homeowners from renting out their entire house a la Airbnb?

Old 10-23-2018, 04:28 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,626,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Wow. So much for live and let live.

Looks like we made the right decision to buy down in the Valley.

How does Prescott prevent homeowners from renting out their entire house a la Airbnb?
I don't think it's possible for the city to prevent that. I've searched Airbnb and they're available, people don't talk about it much for some reason.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:37 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I don't think it's possible for the city to prevent that. I've searched Airbnb and they're available, people don't talk about it much for some reason.
Now that you mention it, I recall Sedona tried to ban short-term rentals and they were told by the state they couldn’t. Then they tried to license those rentals and the state said they couldn’t do that, either.

I’m just thankful we bought in a place where not only can you have a casita, many people do, and RV garages are becoming ever more popular.

Anyone know what Prescott’s stance is on RV garages? I’m curious, and some people do use RVs as MIL-type or guest housing.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:06 PM

479 posts, read 800,957 times
Quote:
Anyone know what Prescott’s stance is on RV garages? I’m curious, and some people do use RVs as MIL-type or guest housing.
Depends on the HOA....or if you even have an HOA. American Ranch allows them, Prescott Lakes does not (or so I've been told).

Old 10-25-2018, 05:06 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,626,567 times
Some of the new SFH being developed in Pronghorn allow RV garages. They looks nice, but will all those home owners use them for that purpose? Probably not, I could see some people converting them to man-caves, entertainment areas or spaces for their sports car.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:52 PM

558 posts, read 969,927 times
There's a ritzy southwestern-style home at the back entrance to Acker Park that built one for a huge bus-like motorhome. Oregon license plates on all the vehicles there.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:02 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,913,799 times
Quote:

You can build an RV garage almost anywhere. I do not know of any HOAs that outlaw them. They may have to be built to look like the main house or be attached to the main house, depending on the HOA. That said, it is still NOT legal to rent out an RV as living space in the garage. The garage is only legally allowed to be used to store an RV.

AZ passed a law allowing VRBO properties anywhere as long as the HOA does not forbid it. There are some stipulations that you have to abide by however. I am not sure how that pertains to renting a room in a house vs. renting the entire house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
View detailed profiles of: