U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2019, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Arizona
4,798 posts, read 2,535,523 times
Reputation: 3697

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogi48 View Post
Can anyone tell me the pavement quality of the Apache Trail? I heard it's pretty bad now.
Pavement? There is no pavement. It's a graded dirt road. You just gotta' go real slow. Unless of course you don't mind ending up in the bottom of the canyon. It's about a 30 mile drive and it takes about an hour and a half non stop. However it's no big deal you don't need four wheel drive. It turns to dirt once you get to about, I'm guessing 5 miles past Tortilla Flat? That's when the real fun begins. If you go make sure you start at Apache Junction to Roosevelt Lake. This way you'll be on the inside of the road against the canyon walls. Going the opposite way could be a little hair raising especially for the passenger.

The trail was made for the construction of the Roosevelt Dam. Beginning at Apache Junction and ending at Roosevelt Lake as part of the Salt River Project. Which supplies water to Phoenix and it's metro area. It's one of thee most spectacular drives in all of Arizona.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Trails around Prescott-img_3764.jpg   Jeep Trails around Prescott-img_3758.jpg   Jeep Trails around Prescott-img_3734.jpg  

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 09-26-2019 at 11:25 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2019, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
3,434 posts, read 3,356,538 times
Reputation: 4836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogi48 View Post
Can anyone tell me the pavement quality of the Apache Trail? I heard it's pretty bad now.
You can scratch that one off your list for a while...Apache Trail is closed
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2019, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Arizona
4,798 posts, read 2,535,523 times
Reputation: 3697
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
You can scratch that one off your list for a while...Apache Trail is closed
That sucks! Hopefully they'll re-open it soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2019, 06:58 PM
 
1,178 posts, read 1,977,025 times
Reputation: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Hey, as long as that JK has a few led lightbars and angry eyes grill, you know that bad boy can go every where, right?
Ha! When I had an FJ Cruiser with a 3" lift, 33's, electric locker, ARB bar and Warn winch, a couple guys at work that had Jeeps with puck lifts and LED lights used to give me crap. This was before the JK got the 3.6, so their Jeeps were slugs.

One of them even went and got a "FJ Cruiser Recovery Vehicle" sticker on his Jeep.

I could never get these two guys to hit the trails with me. One of the guys in their "group" had a lifted TJ with ARB lockers front and rear and an actual quality lift. He's the only one that would go anywhere so we'd just go hit trails, take pics and rub in how much fun we had. Went to a ghost town where Amelia Earhart was having a house built when she disappeared, and hit a forest trail that most people would only attempt on horseback.

Anyhow, I invited them to Ouray/Telluride one year and neither would go... said it was too dangerous and I was going to basically die in my FJ Cruiser. Met up with another buddy that drove in from California in his Geo Tracker. Yes, a Suzuki Sidekick. We did all the trails, and the places he couldn't go I just winched him up. Again, took a lot of pics and rubbed it in but literally until the day I sold that FJ Cruiser those two gave me grief about it the whole time. BTW I never added any additional lights to it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2019, 05:00 AM
 
Location: Heart of Arabia (No, not Dearborn)
3,131 posts, read 1,079,436 times
Reputation: 4010
Cant beat a good UTV for off road fun, especially in groups. I see plenty of slightly modded street legal UTV's in Prescott.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2019, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Heart of Arabia (No, not Dearborn)
3,131 posts, read 1,079,436 times
Reputation: 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post

Anyhow, I invited them to Ouray/Telluride one year and neither would go... said it was too dangerous and I was going to basically die in my FJ Cruiser. Met up with another buddy that drove in from California in his Geo Tracker. Yes, a Suzuki Sidekick. We did all the trails, and the places he couldn't go I just winched him up. Again, took a lot of pics and rubbed it in but literally until the day I sold that FJ Cruiser those two gave me grief about it the whole time. BTW I never added any additional lights to it.

I had a '99 Geo Tracker 4 door from 2008-2016. Paid 3K cash, drove that thing in 5 different countries. A fairly capable, reliable 4WD for a low price. Wish I still had it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 12:02 PM
 
3,559 posts, read 900,311 times
Reputation: 3770
Default Question re The Wave?

So I just got back from Prescott area, checking out some different properties.....
One think I noticed was that when I waved at a Jeep passing by, very few people waved back...maybe 5 out of 50.....
My wife started laughing at me, but I wouldn't give up.....
Is 'The Wave' only a California thing...?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2019, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
38 posts, read 22,836 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Pavement? There is no pavement. It's a graded dirt road. You just gotta' go real slow. Unless of course you don't mind ending up in the bottom of the canyon. It's about a 30 mile drive and it takes about an hour and a half non stop. However it's no big deal you don't need four wheel drive. It turns to dirt once you get to about, I'm guessing 5 miles past Tortilla Flat? That's when the real fun begins. If you go make sure you start at Apache Junction to Roosevelt Lake. This way you'll be on the inside of the road against the canyon walls. Going the opposite way could be a little hair raising especially for the passenger.

The trail was made for the construction of the Roosevelt Dam. Beginning at Apache Junction and ending at Roosevelt Lake as part of the Salt River Project. Which supplies water to Phoenix and it's metro area. It's one of thee most spectacular drives in all of Arizona.
The majority is paved.

33°32'15.48"N
111°19'30.10"W

...is where it turns to dirt.

Reason I asked the condition is I may switch to a Challenger from a Wrangler before I head to Phoenix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2019, 03:37 PM
 
1,178 posts, read 1,977,025 times
Reputation: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
So I just got back from Prescott area, checking out some different properties.....
One think I noticed was that when I waved at a Jeep passing by, very few people waved back...maybe 5 out of 50.....
My wife started laughing at me, but I wouldn't give up.....
Is 'The Wave' only a California thing...?





Nope. Surprised you didn't get more waves back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
38 posts, read 22,836 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Nope. Surprised you didn't get more waves back.
8/10 wave in Massachusetts. It gets annoying
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top