Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 02:24 PM

65 posts, read 118,028 times

Advertisements

We are a conservative Christian couple who recently retired and considering relocating, either to the Chino Valley area or Colorado Springs, CO.

What is the greatest natural threat to the Chino Valley homes and lives? fires, hail, dust, other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 04:07 PM

478 posts, read 790,823 times
I'm no expert on Chino Valley but based only on the fear that people like to instill on this board, I'd say the biggest threat to your quality of life in CV is the water supply drying up. *Most* of Chino Valley seems too flat and devoid of vegetation that will fuel a wildfire to worry about that too much but I could be wrong. This is an old thread but apparently they had some water "issues" back in the day as well....http://www.city-data.com/forum/presc...ace-u-s-2.html I'd probably do a thorough well water analysis before buying out there.

Old 07-08-2020, 04:57 PM

402 posts, read 603,998 times
Those two areas aren't in the same universe. Chino Valley is a small windy dusty town with a lot of nasty areas

Old 07-08-2020, 09:01 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,765,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
Those two areas aren't in the same universe. Chino Valley is a small windy dusty town with a lot of nasty areas
Can you ever say anything positive about anything....?

Thought you were moving already........

Old 07-09-2020, 10:48 AM

402 posts, read 603,998 times
Whats the point of lying to people? Id love to hear the arguments FOR Chino Valley being a beautiful place.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:10 AM

478 posts, read 790,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
Whats the point of lying to people? Id love to hear the arguments FOR Chino Valley being a beautiful place.
Well, first off, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people find beauty in the deserts while others would say they are barren wastelands. I'm one of those that wouldn't live in Yuma, AZ for free but there's obviously plenty of people who disagree with my thinking because they are paying ever increasing home prices for the privilege to live there.

Chino Valley doesn't fit the parameters of what I desired but I also want nothing to do with modern day Colorado Springs due to it's explosive growth over the past 10-15 years. As far as living conditions go, I despise crowds and traffic more than anything. Considering where I'm coming from, Prescott's traffic is nearly imaginary while that's not the case with CS.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:07 PM

404 posts, read 758,187 times
I think mrshowtime3 and k2rider both have valid points - Chino Valley and Colorado Springs are not at all comparable in my book - CV is very much a rural town with limited amenities and very little in the way of decent employment opportunities, while COS is huge by comparison, with plenty of larger-city amenities and employment and cultural opportunities. That's not a dig at either place - just an (hopefully semi-accurate) observation.

If you're retired, self-employed, or can get by on minimum wage and enjoy what CV has to offer, it can be a really nice place to live - I've considered it several times and I'm in none of those demographics, but the natural beauty and relaxed pace are appealing. But if you enjoy cultural opportunities, shopping amenities that don't routinely require a 20-25 mile round-trip, or need a variety of employment options, COS may be the way to go.

I like Chino a lot, but there's no denying parts of it can be "trashy" in appearance, with piles of junk littering peoples' yards, broken down cars on blocks, houses in disrepair, etc. That's not something you would see as much of in Prescott (no idea for Colorado Springs). But there are other parts that look like any kind of "idyllic" suburbia, and yet others that are an interesting mix of the two. If seriously considering CV, one needs to spend a few days driving around the different areas to get a feel for what might work and what might not (personally, I prefer the southwest side of Chino, but the extreme north is also quite pretty). And the frequent advice as it relates to Arizona - visit in different seasons since they can be so dissimilar.

Back to the OP's question - I would think the greatest risks would be 1) lack of water, 2) fire 2) hail damage (tied). Flooding is probably more of an annoyance than an actual issue. I'm not aware of any big fires in Chino, but there are plenty of grasses and scrub brush that could catch on and fuel a fire. It would just take one idiot tossing a cigarette out of their vehicle on 89 to light things up this time of year.

It's also frequently windy in Chino - whether that's a major concern, a minor annoyance, or a non-event is also in the eye of the beholder.

I agree with k2rider on another point - I don't imagine you could pay me enough to live in Yuma, but there are plenty of people who do, and many who probably enjoy it. Good luck to the OP with your decision.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:18 PM

56 posts, read 78,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlegel View Post
We are a conservative Christian couple who recently retired and considering relocating, either to the Chino Valley area or Colorado Springs, CO.

What is the greatest natural threat to the Chino Valley homes and lives? fires, hail, dust, other?

Did you look at Colorado Springs' crime rate? Awfully high.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Color...-Colorado.html

Old 07-09-2020, 02:43 PM

3,978 posts, read 1,966,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
I'm no expert on Chino Valley but based only on the fear that people like to instill on this board, I'd say the biggest threat to your quality of life in CV is the water supply drying up. *Most* of Chino Valley seems too flat and devoid of vegetation that will fuel a wildfire to worry about that too much but I could be wrong. This is an old thread but apparently they had some water "issues" back in the day as well....http:////www.city-data.com/forum/pre...ace-u-s-2.html I'd probably do a thorough well water analysis before buying out there.
My one take away from that thread is that there is a fault line that runs through the area.

I had no idea there was an earthquake risk in the area like that.

I dug into it a bit further, and it seems to be legit.

I am obviously not a seismologist.

I should have known with the hills around here.

Damn.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:44 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,559,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
Did you look at Colorado Springs' crime rate? Awfully high.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Color...-Colorado.html
The northern outskirts of CO springs has less crime, like the Briargate subdivision. If that's still a concern, they can check out Monument or Black Forest which is suburbia central. Those are nicer areas in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott