Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:04 PM

34 posts, read 167,645 times

Advertisements

We are heading up there for some camping next week. Been reading a lot on here about snakes and scoprions in AZ...will I have to worry a lot about that in Prescott? We are staying at Lynx Lake and Hilltop campgrounds. I am from So. Cal the most I worry about here camping is the bears! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,090 times
Hi Tammye - I don't think you'd have much trouble with any critters at Lynx Lake. It's a pretty popular camping area and close to town, so I don't think the wild animals would venture in too close. Are you tent camping or do you have an RV or trailer?

I have yet to see a bear around here. I've heard there are a few in the forests, but if anyone spots one it makes the news because it's pretty rare to see one. I don't think there would be any scorpions at Lynx Lake because the elevation is high enough I think it would be too cold for those.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 PM

Thanks Gretchen!! We are in a small rv. My Mom and Brother live in Phoenix and he got stung by a scorpion that was in his house!! Thats crazy!
Thanks. BTW How is the weather up in Prescott this time of year??

Old 08-04-2008, 06:36 PM

Our weather is beautiful right now! We're in monsoon season now, so bring an umbrella with you, as we get short brief rains most days. Everything is really nice and green now. Temps for this week are to be in the mid-80's with nghttime temps in the low 60's (so bring a sweater or hoodie for sitting around the campfire).

HAVE FUN!!!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 PM

How funny I have been talking to you on my 2 posts! lol Your a great source of information!!! I have been searching for someone up there to help me out with details!

So..you have a Costco I hear and a Walmart? If that is the case that will help a lot.

Thanks for the tip on the Umbrellas!! I will put them in the RV tonight!

I can't wait to see Prescott, I heard you have nice antique shops up there? If so, any suggestions or must see's while we are up there?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:57 PM

Actually Costco is right on the corner of Hwy 69 and Walker Rd (where you turn to go to Lynx Lake) . And, yes, lots of antique stores in downtown Prescott. If you've never been here before you'll want to check out the historic downtown area and the historic district with the Victorian homes. "Courthouse Square" might be having a concert or Arts & Crafts Festival depending on when you're visiting. Here's a link to some of the local activities: Events - City of Prescott, Arizona Also, Sharlott Hall Museum is really neat. You might want to take a drive up Mingus Mountain to the ghost town of Jerome (former mining ghost town, I should say - lots of shops, etc up there).

Lots of things to do, depening on what you like to do. If you enjoy history and antiques, you'll have a blast downtown.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 PM

YES I love history and I LOVE antique shopping!!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Many rattlesnakes in the Prescott area, so just watch where you walk and sit. Theyre activated by the cooler temps and monsoonal rains, so theyll be very active. If youre out at night, be sure to carry a flashlight.

Have fun, Prescott is a beautiful area!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
Don't miss Sharlot Hall museum in Prescott...lots of history and information there. Lynx Lake is going to be crowded, you won't see much wildlife, but it is a great area for hiking, fishing, just kicking back. I have not seen a rattler this year but I have seen an inordinate amount of King Snakes...which are beautiful and harmless and they eat rattlers (they think rattlers taste like chicken). Have fun in our part of the world. It's hot right now...a little muggy due to monsoons...bring rain gear just in case!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:30 PM

Oh I really hope we don't see a rattler!! We will be cautious on our hikes.
I didn't know they come out at night! We are traveling with our 3 little Dachshunds so we will have to watch them closely too. I heard some news report about rattler bites being deadly in AZ recently! Thats crazy!!

I packed up the umbrellas last night.

I am really excited to see your part of the Country. I don't do well in the extreme heat but it doesn't sound like its anything like where my Mom is in Phoenix!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott