Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 18,467 times

Advertisements

My wife and I own an unimproved 1/2 acre lot in the Hidden Valley Ranch neighborhood south of town. We are looking to retire there in about 18 month or so and would like to get a house started fairly soon on this lot. The problem is that we don't really have contacts in the area that could give us information about the vareous builders. Of course the builders will all tell you that they are wonderful. We currently live in Charleston SC. Does anyone have any information that will help us through this mine field? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 08:16 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Default Several Good Builders to Choose From

We have a number of reputable builders in the Prescott area. There's a couple of really good ones who do some high-end custom homes. There's several that build spec and custom homes in the mid-price range. And a couple that are very reasonable and do a nice std build without a lot of bells and whistles. You can go online to the AZ Registrar of Contractors to research if a particular builder has any complaints filed against him. So that will give you information about who NOT to hire.

If you'd like the names of a few, feel free to send me a PM or email me. I don't think I can mention specific builders on the open forum, but I'd be glad to pass along the names of some that I've heard do a good job.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 12,268 times
Any builder you hire, make sure you get an independent inspection and do not close on a house until you are completely satisified. Regardless of what any Real estate agent may tell you!

Old 02-01-2007, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Good point because we live in SC and won't be able to oversee much. Are there inspection services that will inspect every critical step of the construction and act as the buyers representive for quality, as opposed to the typical one time buyers inspection most buyers obtain when they buy an existing house? Additionally, you need to be sure the inspector is not the contractor's brother in law! Eraserhead

Old 02-04-2007, 09:19 PM

43 posts, read 238,830 times
Default Builder Recommendaion

My parents built a cabin on Thumb Butte in the early 80s and carefully researched all the builders here at the time. There was a recession back then and contractors were suffering so my parents had a lot to choose from.

At the time Trantor Builders came highly recommended, and Ed Trantor said while he had never constructed a log cabin, he was willing to give it a try. My parents were thrilled with the results, as he was very persnickity about how everything fit together, etc. After our project he said he'd never do another log home again.... LOL

The place is still standing and in great condition, and although Ed passed away several years ago, I understand his son or son-in-law took over the business. They are located on Sheldon Street.

On another note, we recently moved into a home that had new construction going on right next door--an architect's office. The project had many problems (do-overs because it couldn't pass inspections) and the subs complained constantly about how poorly the plans were drawn up. Due to rules in this forum, I can't name them, but all I can say is, be careful with who you select. Quality and a work ethic is difficult to find in this town.

One other thing--there are a lot of huge boulders all over this place and soil issues, so try to find someone who didn't just cruise in from another state and set up shop. AZ is known for expanding soil conditions and that can mean cracked and splitting foundations in no time!

Old 02-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Cool Good advice

Thanks ArizonaGirl, good points made.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,124 times
Unhappy Please Help

I am from Phoenix I need an hanest builder for my Kingswood home please can you pass along some names Thank you!

Alex Pandi
apandi@cox.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
We have a number of reputable builders in the Prescott area. There's a couple of really good ones who do some high-end custom homes. There's several that build spec and custom homes in the mid-price range. And a couple that are very reasonable and do a nice std build without a lot of bells and whistles. You can go online to the AZ Registrar of Contractors to research if a particular builder has any complaints filed against him. So that will give you information about who NOT to hire.

If you'd like the names of a few, feel free to send me a PM or email me. I don't think I can mention specific builders on the open forum, but I'd be glad to pass along the names of some that I've heard do a good job.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 PM

228 posts, read 818,158 times
You may want to look into hiring an AIA member architect. A good starting point is http://www.aia.org/. They will be able to provide all of the expertise needed to have a quality home built.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 21,831 times
Thumbs up Prescott Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead View Post
My wife and I own an unimproved 1/2 acre lot in the Hidden Valley Ranch neighborhood south of town. We are looking to retire there in about 18 month or so and would like to get a house started fairly soon on this lot. The problem is that we don't really have contacts in the area that could give us information about the vareous builders. Of course the builders will all tell you that they are wonderful. We currently live in Charleston SC. Does anyone have any information that will help us through this mine field? Thanks
Hello,

My wife and I will be moving to Prescott Az in 24 months just as soon as I can say good bye to my job of 32 yrears. I bought land 3 years ago and have spent many vacations visiting talking to locals etc... SUNCREST BUILDERS -Miles Baxter 928-776-0007 OR HIS CELL 928-925-3141 He has my trust!
I bought lot in TIMBERRIDGE and COPPERCANYON ESTATES will sell one of them cant live on both!!! . Cant wait to Build/Retire!!
Good Luck!!!

Dave Boucher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
View detailed profiles of: