U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:00 PM

52 posts, read 201,910 times

Advertisements

We're from the East Valley(27yrs.)and are looking for a 2nd home in the Prescott area. Finally, Empty Nest....Whooh Hooh!! OK...we do miss them.
We enjoy being close to town and neighborhood amenities such as Stoneridge or Quailwood Meadows. Our 2 youngest (18/20)will be staying with us during summer college breaks and our 2 oldest(24/31)will be bringing grandkids looking for something to do when visiting.
I would appreciate any info. I could get re:these 2 neighborhoods or others that offer the same ammenities. Don't enjoy gated communities too exclusive for us.
We've decided to rent for a year before buying since we know Prescott only through weekend visits. Would like to know the area and community feel before purchasing. We're friendly and outgoing by nature but also know how to respect the privacy of others.
We'll be visiting in a couple of weeks to drive thru the different areas so would appreciate the good and bad of both areas.
Thank-you for your time.
Sincerely,
EmptyNest4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 01:27 PM

2,203 posts, read 6,141,855 times
Hello EmptyNest4 - I think you're very wise to rent for awhile and get a feel for the area. If you decide on Prescott Valley, besides Stoneridge there is Granville (same builder as Quailwood plus a couple others - very similar type subdivision with the same type of amenities), The Viewpoint (severl builders) and Pronghorn Ranch (north of 89A & Viewpoint Dr - a little larger lots in there, similar amenities). If the clubhouse isn't a big thing for you and you'd like a little larger lot and less of the "cookie-cutter" feel, then I'd suggest Pronghorn, The Viewpoint, or Unit 20 in PV. Out in Dewey, check out the Prescott Country Club - variety of nice homes reasonable priced, well cared-for neighborhood, HOA is less than $50/yr.

PV vs Dewey - PV you're closer to shopping (K-Mart, WalMart, grocery stores, entertainment, etc). Out here in the Dewey area, we have to drive into PV for all those things, although I understand we'll be getting a major supermarket and some other shopping soon.

Also, if you're wanting to go into Prescott alot, Hwy 69 is going to be a mess before long, so if that's the case you may want to target Prescott homes (although quite a bit more expensive $/sf than PV or Dewey), or look at the north side of PV (Pronghorn/Viewpoint) so that you can get into Prescott some other way than Hwy 69.

Hope this info helps. If you have some specific questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:15 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,537,524 times
Hi EmpytNest,

You can probably get some pretty good rental deals in Quailwood (and buying deals for that matter). Across the highway in the Prescott Country Club, a 1600 sq ft house will run you about $900 to $1100. Stoneridge is pretty overpriced these days. They have been selling about 1-2 houses per month, while other subdivisions are selling 5-8 per month. There are definately some good deals out there, but you are smart to rent and explore the area before deciding where to buy. Good luck!

Cheers,
Brian

Old 02-02-2007, 10:36 PM

Dear Gretchen & Brian,
Thank-you for the invaluable info. you sent my way. I would appreciate it if you could tell me more about Prescott Country Club area?
How far from PV or shopping is it and do they have any neighborhood amenities?
Also, looking for a realtor who deals in rental properties?
Again, thank-you for your time. It's much appreciated.
Sincerely,
EmptyNest4

Old 02-03-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Prescott Country Club

Hey EmptyNest,

I live in the Prescott Country Club (PCC). My wife and I absolutely love it here. PCC started in the early 70's as a summer home community surrounding an 18-hole golf course. The PCC golf course website is: http://www.prescottgolf.net.

The community was built up slowly over the years, one house at time, so each house is completely different and the lot sizes are generally larger than you will find in new developments. Because of this development timeline, the neighborhood feels like a hometown and it is very refreshing and relaxing to drive through. People are very friendly and often wave to you as you drive by.

The community has fairly relaxed "CC&Rs". CC&Rs are basically the rules that say what you can and cannot do on your property. You will not see the antiseptic, hospital-clean, front yards here like you would in Quailwood or Granville. However, the yards are nicely landscaped and well-maintained throughout PCC. The yearly association dues are $40 in PCC.

The people are fairly laid-back and very unassuming. You will not find a lot of arrogance here. People treat each other the same whether they are multi-millionaires or struggling to raise their family.

As far as amenities, the country club has optional memberships. The social membership runs about $65/mo for a family and $49/mo for a single and gives you access to the tennis courts, pool, and fitness center. You can also opt for a golf membership which includes the social plus golf. See their website for more details.

Regarding shopping, PCC is on HWY 69, about five miles east of downtown Prescott Valley (PV). HWY 69 connects I-17, PV, and Prescott. PCC is on the I-17 side of PV. So, a ten minute drive puts you in the heart of PV, where there are: Safeway, Albertsons, and Fry's grocery stores; a 14-screen movie theater; loads of restaurants; an Ace hardware store; the new hockey/event arena; and soon to come Kohl's, Sam's Club, Home Depot, and Super Wal-Mart. We have been hearing rumors of a Safeway being built on HWY 69 to serve PCC, Quailwood, and Dewey. However, at this point, these are only rumors. I personally believe that it is only a matter of time before more services move down here.

If you are looking to rent in PCC, your best bet would be to drive the neighborhood. Owners typically post signs in the yards if they are renting. They normally do not use a realtor to rent their properties. If you send me a PM, I can give you the name and number of a lady who will be renting her property soon.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 02-04-2007, 07:19 PM

Dear Brian,
We thoroughly enjoyed the invaluable info. you gave us about the PV Country Club neighborhood. It sounds very delightful and inviting. You sound like someone who has lived there longer than you have with the rich history you give about the area. We have already started researching the websites and are eagar to learn as much as we can.
I would be interested in the info. you have regarding the house coming-up for rent so I'll send you a PM.
Again, thank-you for your time and the kindness you've shown us. You and Gretchen have already made us feel welcomed.
Sincerely,
EmptyNest4

Old 06-24-2007, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 22,398 times
Default Shared information

Dear EmptyNest4 and Brian,

Occasionally I check on this blog to see what is being said about the Prescott area. Finding the communications between the two of you has been very informative. With our 20 & 22 year old in college, we too are looking to the future and our hopeful move from NC to AZ. A job change in our 50's took us from our beloved home of Chicago to Raleigh nine years ago. We can hardly wait to move on and leave the dampness & mold behind.

One year ago, we did a family national park tour. We were only able to tour the Prescott area for a few days, but we did manage to mingle with locals at Pioneer Park for the July 4th fireworks. We did check out the model homes at StoneRidge before heading south to Scottsdale, Tucson and Green Valley. We also experienced "dry heat" of 106 while touring Pima Air & Space Museum. We did OK, but we suspect it was becuse it was a vacation and we had an agenda. We are uncertain as to whether 8 months of high temps would suit us. Many seem to love the Phoenix area nevertheless.

Our situation is somewhat unique in that I personally have absolutely NO living relatives other than our kids. My husband has a 37 year old son & family in the Chicago area. Our original desire was to retire in a 55+ AA Retirement Community where activities, trips, special events etc. could be shared with others. We also realize that simply because one is in such a community, there is no guarantee of close relationships built in. To the best of our knowledge, the Prescott area only has Pine Lakes & Victorian Estates. Neither of these defined communities is to our liking. Then, while inquiring at StoneRidge, we got the idea that most of the seniors there, were living in the smaller homes. My husband and I have varied interests, and my husband yearns for a 3 car garage to set one stall aside for his extensive workshop. Having a 3 car garage seems to automatically put one in the 2,400sq ft plus range. This is fine with us...but again, we fear we would be alienating ourselves from most in our age group. What to do...what to do?????

On the other hand...southern AZ communities like Sun Lakes, etc, etc, etc, boast all of what we were hoping for in the Prescott area. :-/ Is there hope for us???? Could Prescott Lakes CC be the place for us or should we head for Cottonwood or...............???

All opinions are appreciated. At 60, we are beginning to feel a time crunch.

Curious

PS My husband & I also share some concerns about lack of high quality medical facilities and cultural events in the Prescott area.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:40 PM

Default 55+ Communities in Prescott Area

Hi Curious,

Thank you for the compliment. Make sure you consider how much you would like to be near your children/grand children. We know a couple who moved here to retire. Their kids are in Chicago. They expected that the children would want to come here to visit often for the nice weather, but alas, they do not visit. Consequently, this couple is selling their house and moving back to Chicago. Unfortunately, they bought near the peak of the market, so they stand to lose money on the sale of their house.

If you decide that the Prescott area is for you, then definately come back for a visit and investigate. As far as health care is concerned, Prescott Valley just built a state-of-the-art hospital. There is also a hospital near dowtown Prescott. Regarding arts and entertainment, there are tons of things to do. Prescott Valley recently completed a hockey/entertainment stadium (Tim's Toyota Center). There are big-name concerts and events there (e.g., Clint Black, Heart, WWF Wrestling - if you're into that). There is also the Yavapai College events center, where they have a large variety of shows (e.g., Bill Cosby, Ballet, Musicals). There are also community theaters, such as the Prescott Fine Arts Association, who recently completed a run of the musical "Chicago". They are currently playing "All My Sons" by Arthur Miller.

You mentioned 55+ communities. There are several around the Prescott area including: Victorian Estates, Villages at Lynx Creek, Allandale Tract, The Courtyards at the Gardens, The Gardens at Willow Creek, and Prescott Canyon Estates. There are also areas that while not age-restricted, have a predominance of retirees. You may be very happy and make a lot of friends in the Prescott Country Club or some of the subdivisions within Prescott Lakes. These subdivisions and others have a mixed demographic, which can add variety as opposed to a population of over 55 only. I have been working on subdivision descriptions for the Prescott area. You can take a look at: myweb.cableone.net/biggsrealtors/subdivisions.htm This is a work in progress and takes a lot of time, but I think it will be worth the effort to help people locate the subdivision that best suits them.

Of course there are tons of wonderful subdivisions in the Phoenix area. However, make sure that you can stand the heat! If you are an indoors person and like air conditioning, then Phoenix is probably great. If you like to be outside, then the 6 months of 100+ heat can keep you from going outside until late in the evening.

Where ever you chose to retire, make sure you do your research.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 PM

8 posts, read 22,398 times
Default Curious and cautious

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your prompt reply. In reality, other than some housing developments we weren't aware of...I guess you really didn't say anything we aren't already aware of. We know we need to experience AZ more (and will) before we make another life altering move. In many ways our relocation from Chicago to Raleigh was wrong, and that experience makes us just that much more cautious. :-/

I will check out your web site as it progresses.

More than my husband, I do already fear relocating far from our kids. But then, once before, we moved to be closer to our older sons and coincidentally they moved elsewhere. It is a more fluid society today and I guess there are no guarantees. Meanwhile, we will continue to compile information on areas of interest. Periodically I will check this blog too. I may reach out to you again.

Curious

Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 PM

862 posts, read 1,765,502 times
DON'T MOVE HERE!

Unless you have lots of $$$ or have your own business, you WILL NOT make a good living here. Housing is too expensive and pay is too low. Services are bad. Prescott is a RETIREMENT TOWN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott