Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 PM

862 posts, read 2,621,474 times

Advertisements

Yep, it's true. Brown Family Construction has shut-down siting that it cannot financially operate in these economic times. All those half-built homes will sit vacant for a LONG TIME. Talk about property depreciation. They have ceased all building and the homes that are half-built will not be finished. All home warranties are no longer in effect.

Neil Klein went bankrupt this year, also.

Breaking News: Brown Family Communities Shuts Down - Economic Conditions - Builder Magazine

It survived the mid-80's housing crunch but it cannot survive this one. . "It's going to be very tough," Brown, 76, said during the September interview. "I said a while back that this isn't going to be as bad as 1985, but I was wrong when you see the entire economy sliding downhill."

Folks, this is BAD, I really, really, really believe we are headed for something disastrous to the likes of the Great Depression but much more grave. I hope I am wrong but all the signs point that way.

Brown is GONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 01:30 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
Life will continue. Who is Brown Family Homes?

Old 10-29-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Life will continue. Who is Brown Family Homes?
Unless you are the "life" that was buying a Brown Home, own a Brown Home, or were in some way employed with Brown Homes.

Click the TWO links I provided.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:53 PM

True enough regarding Brown Homes...but I was really sort of responding to the doom & gloom part of your post.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
Brown Family Homes is an Arizona-based builder who developed Pronghorn Ranch. It is really sad news that they have been forced to close their doors. As I understand it, they were one of the few Arizona developers/builders who were solvent. This sounds like it was a direct result of the credit freeze. If I'm reading the article in the Courier correctly, it appears that Brown's lender pulled the plug on Brown's financing and called in the notes.

This is just crazy! No builder can continue to operate without a line of credit. As Brown stated in the article, his sales were actually UP in September with 17 new contracts in Pronhorn Ranch. Talk about kicking somebody in the teeth. There was no warning or anything.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
This is just crazy! No builder can continue to operate without a line of credit. As Brown stated in the article, his sales were actually UP in September with 17 new contracts in Pronghorn Ranch. Talk about kicking somebody in the teeth. There was no warning or anything.
I hope the people get their money back on their homes that are half-built. Their money might be tied-up for years in the courts.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:31 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
definitely bad news - i always respected the approach of brown homes and feel they built pretty nice communities

the cities/banks should just take a pre-emptive move and level any partially built homes for scrap

Old 10-29-2008, 04:27 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
I hope the people get their money back on their homes that are half-built. Their money might be tied-up for years in the courts.
Brown did not declare bankruptcy (although this may be the catalyst that necessitates that). If you read the full story as it appeared in the print version of the Courier, you'll see that Brown has refunded all customer deposits out of his own funds. I have to applaud the guy for doing the right thing!

Old 10-29-2008, 04:30 PM

Ah-ha! Pronghorn Ranch...now I know who Brown is. Yes, that is a very big project and the consequences will be devastating for many.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:55 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
It's too bad to see these local guys get run out. It's a reflection of what's happening in other areas - mom and pops gone and replaced by chains. When I was in college I framed houses for Marved in Tucson. Marved was local and run by Saul Tobin who was well respected and contributed to his community. Marved sold to US Home and the other locals, now including Dave Brown, are gone as well. Now it's Lennar, Toll Bros., Pulte and the other publicly traded builders who have other people's money to help them bridge the troubled times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott