U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 04:22 PM

47 posts, read 101,325 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I didn't ask this one in my avalanche of questions!

I'm from Louisiana where there are tons of creepy spooky old plantation homes done up for Halloween, there was always something truly creepy going on and trick or treating was always a lot of fun...but in the last decade I guess the paranoid people in the land just flipped out so bad that TOTing has died off and that makes me sad. Especially since in my entire 45 years of living on this planet I haven't once been personally subjected to, let alone ever heard of a single account of actual razor blades in the candy or whatever it is people became so noided out over they needed to opt out of the holiday. The absolute worst thing I've even seen happen on that Night Of Ghouls is the occasional toilet paper rolling or egging (which is a reasonable excuse to not participate, of course but not to destroy the entire event nationwide!) but no contaminated candy, no kidnapping, no child slaughter or all that.

What is Halloween like in these areas? Does anyone actually TOT there, or have they wigged out there also and relegated TOTing to screwy hours between 4 and 6pm? I'm fairly sure there are some things going on for kids, but what about grown kids who still enjoy a good old fashioned haunt? Anyone bother with actual cool haunted houses, hayrides (or desert ride??), spook walks, ghost hunts - that sort of thing?

If I ultimately settle in CV as I am about 89.9% ready to do for all other reasons, will there be anything in that Halloween Bag for lil ole me? Should I bother even decorating the house/yard for TOTers? Should I bother whipping up a costume - anything to even do? If it's lame there and I got inspired enough to launch a group to develop such events, would anyone bother showing up or would it fall on deaf ears?

Are there any groups there like the Jaycees and such who get together and do up haunts for the community? Theater groups? In La, my little brother and I got involved doing haunted houses and hayrides and it was such enormous fun...I really would like to be able to enjoy that holiday without having to drive 100 miles to a large metroplex where more people will do it just as an excuse to party.

Not to toss any offense at the religious sort but what I mean by haunted house isn't the same thing as what the church's end up trying to pawn off as haunted house with the social intolerance or public service messages on drugs, sex, music and all that nonsense...I mean actual haunted house lore - spooks and monsters, gore and ghouls, legends and spiders etc. Black and Orange.

What are the real stats there?

Thanks in advance to any and all who pop in and reply - it is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 05:07 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 4,582,554 times
Yes, kids TOT in some areas of Chino Valley, but in many areas the homes are spaced too far apart. Many kids enjoy TOT in downtown Prescott, which dudes itself up very spooky on Halloween. Especially Mt Vernon Street, which is sort of known for its decorations and " spooky ambience".

Old 11-06-2008, 09:48 AM

1,356 posts, read 2,588,985 times
We have a friend who lives on Mt. Vernon and has a party every year on Halloween. The street is crazy! There must have been 5,000 people - no kidding. From about 5:30-9:00, there are lines of tick-or-treaters at every house. Our friend asks everyone to bring a couple of bags of candy to the party. She had a tub about 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall, full of candy. We ran out of candy by 9:30. Lots of houses are well decorated and everyone has a good time.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:46 PM

47 posts, read 101,325 times
Where is Mt Vernon? (sincere question!)

Oh scratch that, it made sense from the post above! That's good to know. My son and I love Halloween. I hope we might be able to get involved in some activities there.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:56 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,588,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Shinn View Post
Where is Mt Vernon? (sincere question!)
It's about four blocks east of the courthouse square in Prescott. You can google "Mt. Vernon, 86301" the halloween area is south of Gurley.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 PM

24 posts, read 72,769 times
Next year check out the Collier Farm in Chino. Hay rides, pumpkin patch, etc.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:31 AM

3 posts, read 6,277 times
Bump...it's about that time!!!

It's Nikki - had to get new account because I forgot all the info!

Here's an update. We did move to Chino and I loved it for about 3 weeks, and then couldn't deal with it any longer. It was nice and small town but I soon felt isolated and bored to death. End of June, we moved to Prescott Valley, Glassford Hill, the apts up there and I am head over for PV...every day I walk outside I feel nothing but amazing enthusiasm...which is sad because we don't know anyone and that's frustrating. Usually when I move somewhere new I've got a new job by the first week, but not having to work put a total crimp in the social portion of social life (bartender, easy network!).

Anyway, aside from that...I am running out of time for Halloween. I did ask but would love a refresher.

What is going on this year for Halloween in the area? I heard something about the 24th, but I'm looking for the 31st specifically. My 11 yo wants to TOT, so where are some good areas to do that where people would be celebrating? And later, grown up fun - spooky is preferred - I want to celebrate my birthday in this new place, not sit home but I'm just lost on what to do and where to go to do it.

Please help a girl out!

Thanks and Happy Halloween!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,372 times
Viewpoint and Pronghorn Ranch is a good area off of Hwy 89A the houses are close together and there is usually a line to get into the neighborhhod but you can park on Viewpoint DR and walk to the differnt streets. Also downtown Prescott near and on Mount Vernon st...they usually shut the street down so it is safe for children run around and the Police Dept usually sets up on the street and gives out candy as well. The houses are beautiful and it is a really neat feeling. Good Luck and Have Fun!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,372 times
2 fun Halloween Night Events will be held at the Antelope Lanes Bowling Center in Prescott Valley. The first is a Tailgate Trunk or Treat. Sponsored by numerous Prescott and Prescott Valley business owners. A festive car-to-car event, full of costumes and eerie, fun and amusement. Free to the public, all ages welcome. A safe and supervised environment. The second event that evening is a HALLOWEEN LOCK-IN PARTY at the Bowling Center. This event is a fundraiser for the Shinpu-Ren Family Karate Competition Team. Lock-In begins at 11:00PM and runs until 7:00AM. Admission is $20.00 per person, Parent's 1/2 price when accompanying children, Kid's 6 and under FREE with parent. Snack bar will be open all night. Admission includes: All Night Rock-N-Bowl and shoes- All games, Contests and Tournaments-Karaoke-Pool Tournament-Costume Contest-Guitar Hero Contest-Photo booth- Entertainment-Music-Tons of prizes-Continental Breakfast. Open to ages 7-20yrs. Security provided by Shinpu-Ren Family Karate and Antelope Lanes Staff.

October 31 5PM- 8:30PM FREE Event Trick or Treat throughout the Mall! Costume Contest in the JCPenney Court 1st Place $150 Westcor Gift Card 2nd Place $100 Westcor Gift Card 3rd Place $75 Westcor Gift Card

Old 10-17-2009, 05:00 AM

2,551 posts, read 1,644,747 times
Yeah, in dowtown Prescott, Halloween is so much fun. Couple of the bars, on Whiskey Row, have an annual costume contest. It's fun to watch. All of downtown is a lot of fun during that particular holiday.

But not much going on in Prescott Valley during Halloween. Just the kids going door to door getting candy (Trick Or Treat).

I'm not sure about Chino Valley. Never been there for Halloween before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott