Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,865 times

Advertisements

I was stopped for red light on my motorcycle. When it turned green I accelerated (not excessively) and the photo radar camera lights flashed...do these systems monitor acceleration? A motorcycle can easily get up to speed faster than most cars. I was still in first gear at less than 20mph in a 25mph zone...what’s up with that? Can I expect a ticket of some kind?

Last edited by Battalion 1; 01-22-2009 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 05:54 PM

73 posts, read 300,929 times
Sometimes the camera has to calibrate and will flash. The sensors are located inside the intersection so it is possible to exceed the 11 mph over the speed limit.
I'm one who is in favor of the "Fixed" photo radar at Long Look and Glassford Hill Road, before they were installed people would run the light 5 seconds after turning red... I'm not kidding on the 5 seconds, people would think they own the road and just drive through it.... I do see a major problem with that intersection, to many of the locals who live in that area know that if you want to make the green light during non-school hours you need to be in the first 5 cars.... I hate to say if your car number 5 or 6 you will see people riding on everyone's rear bumper. The city has the white round intersection video cameras to make sure the intersection runs smooth... But it must be run by some hill-billy from the city, if you don't know how to use the camera information quit wasting money on buying that equipment... All they need to do is drive on Long Look and see how many cars block the Lone Cactus intersection.... One trick if you want to make the light is go across the intersection straight and then make a left toward the college... The city will always give the public some excuse... the traffic on Glassford Hill Road goes at least 2 minutes and then if your on Long Look I bet by the time you count to 9 the light changes... The city has ticked off the locals that live those housing areas... Come on P V make the light 20 seconds for the locals...
Think of this, the city gets 2 minutes to make $$$ on the photo radar on Glassford Hill Road, the city doesn't give a rats a** on the 9 seconds they give the people on Long Look, they can't make a penny so screw us....

Comment on the van photo radar, I'm not in favor of it, it has hurt this city for visitors and future people who might be thinking of moving here... I tell my friends if you don't want to deal with photo radar to look in Chino Valley, forget Prescott, they are getting it...
As far as Prescott Valley, shame on them, I was always taught in law enforement that you don't break the law in order to enforce it. The vans park on sidewalks, in "no parking" and tow away zones and areas that create a hazard... I would prefer to see a live cop present, I think you would see more DUI bust and drivers driving with warrants. I see since Tims Toyota Center has started losing patrons the vans don't park running photo radar on Glassford Hill Road during and after events... I've been lucky... no tickets in 30 years...
I'm still happy I moved to Prescott Valley, but I feel the city needs to work for their citizens and not their pocket books and "Redflex" ...an Australian owned company....... Yes your dollars go to Australia !!!

Last edited by checkthecodes; 02-05-2009 at 06:03 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,001,237 times
Better Australia than China

Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 16,340 times
Default Photo Radar

Several counties have spent billions installing these camera devices, but why?
Revenue.
Several studies show that these cameras not only increase accidents but don't reduce the number speeders / red light runners. There are several different ways to reduce these violations that don't include a set of 15 million dollar cameras... They aren't even real tickets... you don't have to pay them and they are dropped after 120 days of violation... Several schools around the U.S. are struggling to get by, dropping programs, losing credibility, and we are spending money on these ridiculous cameras.

Radar Hunter
radarhunter.com

Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM

In Prescott Valley if you ignor the photo radar ticket in the mail, (like jury duty) the city has a Redflex employee to knock on your door and hands you a notice to appear. One Rep drove to my friends house and asked him if he was going to take care of the ticket.... My friend went and fought it, the clerk said "No one wins" but he could go to the police dept. next door and talk to the police.... The police dropped the ticket....

I would love to see more police on the roads here, get rid of some of the crack heads and trash that runs on the roads here...

One more thing to think of..... Walmart is not being built on Glassford Hill Road, someone should demand that the city run another "Traffic Survey Report"... 3 lanes at 35 mph why??? The 35 mph was based on the Walmart having it's doors open in 2008... it didn't and it just bare land... speed increases to 45 mph just north of Long Look and it's 2 lanes... Really kind of a joke .... I'd really like to see what the 85 percentile really runs between Florentine and just prior to Glassford Hill Road.... Can you now say the words "Radar Trap" .... No Walmart, bogus Traffic Survey Report" Anyone should be able to walk into court and carry a copy of the report and say...Where's the Walmart and turn lanes... there's none... So the City of Prescott Valley is just filling their cash cow...

Does anyone know the real Arizona Laws.... What is considered an "Emergency Police Vehicle" I don't think the photo radar vans would be considered a police vehicle and they should obey the rules of the road like everyone one else... No parking on sidewalks, no parking zones, tow away zones etc...

Last edited by checkthecodes; 02-10-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,230 times
Default photo radar ? red light ticket

i rescently got a red light ticket in the mail, and I went to see the video, and my car was past the crosswalk when the light turned red.... i think that's bs that i got the ticket... is there anything i can do to fight this or am i going to say OK and pay the fines// or go to school???

Old 06-27-2009, 11:02 PM

I do have a question, did the ticket give the speed you were doing? If not and you were past the red line when the light turned red then you could always say you entered the intersection at 20 mph and coasted in case the light started to change. On the other hand if the light turned red and you were in front of the red line and then drove past and they have a clear picture of you and your license plate then you might as well go to traffic school. I have known people who have went to court and had the ticket price reduced but had the ticket points on their driving record. Another thing you might want to look into is how many times maintenance and repairs have been done at the intersection, the intersection at Long Look and Glassford Hill seems to have someone working on it just about every other day, which really makes me wonder how much money is spent to keep the cameras working. If it's Redflex then no big deal, but if the tax payers are footing the maintenance, construction and upkeep then the Town of Prescott Valley needs to make public the amount of money that is being spent compaired to other intersections. You want to see waste just drive by Lakeshore and Windsong, a traffic signal is going to be installed there, if someone really did do a traffic survey report they would see the numbers would support a stop sign and not a traffic signal. Prescott Valley is very wasteful. Again I would ask to see the intersection logs on maintenance and service and why so many service visits to that intersection "Cause". Good luck on your ticket issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott