Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,224 times

Advertisements

Dewey - Humbolt has made the list of the Top 10 Most Polluted Places in the entire continental USA. The EPA has already told Prescott that it's arsenic levels in the water are getting high. Many people on wells in the area don't test their water but those who do have been shown to have high arsenic levels. Lead and arsenic are being found in soils, groundwater and the fish. The mining in the area has leached and polluted the water table. The politicians know about this and try and cover it up. The town grew with no control and now people are being poisoned. Arsenic and lead will kill you slowly but surely. Small doses will eventually kill you. The cause of death will be ruled as natural, due to the fact that unless you are looking for it, an arsenic or lead death is 99% of the time ruled as natural cause. The Most Polluted Places in America - 8 Living Green - Your Life - MSN Lifestyle (http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/living-green/staticslideshowgreenchan.aspx?cp-documentid=18995575&imageindex=8 - broken link)

Old 04-21-2009, 10:42 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,914,525 times
I would hardly categorize Dewey-Humboldt as "The most polluted place in the USA." Yes, the Iron King Mine is contaminated, as are areas between the mine and the smelter, but the contamination area is fairly localized. Dewey-Humboldt is quite large compare to the contaminated area. Defaming the entire city is an injustice. For those interested in the Iron King Mine contamination area, google Iron King Mine and do your own research. Here is the EPA website for the Iron King Mine: IRON KING MINE AND HUMBOLDT SMELTER

As to Prescott's arsenic levels, the levels were fine until the EPA made its contraversial decision to lower the acceptable arsenic limit from 50 ppb to 10 ppb. Only one of six Prescott wells had an issue after the revised standard. That well measured 11 ppb. Consequently, Prescott installed filters on all of its wells at a cost of $1.3 million per year.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
The article that Dell attached said that pollution was being "looked at", not that anything had been found in the wells and fish, etc (fish?), although I know some arsenic levels have shown up in some area wells of that area. Also radon was found in the Granite Dells many years ago...but it has not stopped people from building and living there. Dell is just another nay-sayer...

Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
The article that Dell attached said that pollution was being "looked at", not that anything had been found in the wells and fish, etc (fish?), although I know some arsenic levels have shown up in some area wells of that area. Also radon was found in the Granite Dells many years ago...but it has not stopped people from building and living there. Dell is just another nay-sayer...
Did you even read the article? It can't be any more clearer. The article CLEARLY STATED:

The polluted area encompasses the old Iron King Mine, the town of Humboldt, and the Humboldt Smelter. When we started to evaluate the site, we realized that a smelter was there, and sampling showed contamination in residential soil," says Richmond.

Read slowly, SAMPLING SHOWED CONTAMINATION IN RESIDENTIAL SOIL. Read again, POLLUTED. Not maybe or we don't know. It is verified fact that arsenic and lead are in the soil and water. The issue is HOW MUCH of it is there and HOW BAD the contamination has gotten.

When we took a closer look, we found that there was the possibility of some groundwater contamination and other areas of surface contamination. This prompted action to remove arsenic and lead from residential areas.

The lead and arsenic were/are there and it is 100% legit. Not maybe or like you claimed. I believe that you are purposely being so blatantly dismissive because you have an agenda. There is no other rhyme or reason on how you can claim the article simply was stating that they were looking at possible contamination. The contamination is verified, the article clearly stated that.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 AM

16 posts, read 49,509 times
I would hardly categorize Prescott in the top 100 polluted places. Phoenix is over 10 times as polluted as Prescott, all though the water is fairly clean. The air, on the other hand, is totally different. Being in the desert, Phoenix has sand and dust. One breeze and that dust is kicked up into the atmossphere.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:55 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Did you even read the article? It can't be any more clearer. The article CLEARLY STATED:

The polluted area encompasses the old Iron King Mine, the town of Humboldt, and the Humboldt Smelter. When we started to evaluate the site, we realized that a smelter was there, and sampling showed contamination in residential soil," says Richmond.

Read slowly, SAMPLING SHOWED CONTAMINATION IN RESIDENTIAL SOIL. Read again, POLLUTED. Not maybe or we don't know. It is verified fact that arsenic and lead are in the soil and water. The issue is HOW MUCH of it is there and HOW BAD the contamination has gotten.

When we took a closer look, we found that there was the possibility of some groundwater contamination and other areas of surface contamination. This prompted action to remove arsenic and lead from residential areas.

The lead and arsenic were/are there and it is 100% legit. Not maybe or like you claimed. I believe that you are purposely being so blatantly dismissive because you have an agenda. There is no other rhyme or reason on how you can claim the article simply was stating that they were looking at possible contamination. The contamination is verified, the article clearly stated that.
I read the article...it said the soil was found to contain contaminates, which I did not disclaim...that they were testing for POSSIBLE contamination of well water. It also said that actions have been taken to remove the pollutants from the ground. The mining smelters have been shut for years there is little chance of the pollution recurring, but none of this has ever been a big secret. Also, Prescott has invested a lot of money in the county wells, read Bigg's post. This is nothing new...this soil contamination due to mining has been known about for ages. Up near Jerome it is ten times as bad.

I have no agenda, I do not reside anywhere near Dewey. You, on the other hand, obviously have a big agenda: You are pissed at Prescott. I am just always leary of folks who work so hard to paint a picture black... especially when that person does it with such anger. But...charge on if you must.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times
I live in Chino Valley in the Quail Ridge Development. Our water, Arsenic levels did not meet the new Government requirements, each home owner was assessed $400 to pay for the filtering system. Now the water meets gvt. standards. On the other hand, I have been watching the news in Phoenix over the last few days and the air quality is poor and people are warned not to go outside and exercise.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 AM

Denied:1up! Software ()

In addition, they have gathered samples from 46 residential properties - eight of which had elevated arsenic levels and four with elevated lead - and Humboldt Elementary School, 2750 S. Corral St.

To track contaminants, the EPA installed six groundwater-quality monitoring wells at the defunct mine and smelter. Of the more than 50 private wells sampled, Butler said 40 percent had arsenic above the federal drinking water standard of 10 parts per million.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:45 AM

First, only 20 out of 50 private wells showed elevated levels of arsenic. The paper did not provide the amounts, so the elevated levels could be 11-12 PPM or 250-300 PPM. I have requested the actual measurements and will post those when I receive them. Second, the paper clearly states, "arsenic in the samples was not high enough to suggest the mine's metals are harming water quality directly." So, the elevated amount are probably natural in origin. Third, the EPA Fact Sheet states the following:
Quote:
The levels of arsenic found in the soil samples are low enough not to pose an immediate health problem. EPA is concerned about extended exposure to arsenic since it can cause long-term health effects. In general, short-term exposure to contamination in the Chaparral Gulch will not cause an immediate health risk. EPA is most concerned about longterm exposure which could potentially cause health effects.
The primary EPA concern is long term exposure and they recommend that children not be allowed to play in and around Chapparal Gulch, which is the intermittant stream bed that runs from the mine to the smelter.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Update... I can not track down the individual measurements yet, but the range was from 1 to 40 PPB. My previous post mentioned PPM. It should be PPB, as in Billion. In any case, all of the wells measured arsenic at less than the previous EPA limit of 50 PPB. Apparently 20 wells measured above the current, revised limit of 10 PPB and the highest reading appears to be 40 PPB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott