Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:57 PM

39 posts, read 176,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue.guineapig View Post
nice! Yeah we'll prob'ly steer clear of the TV for now too.
Just interwebs.

Is unemployment still at 10.5-11%?

We did look at moving to Bend, OR, for a while but the unemployment up there is
at a solid 17% are rising.
Prescott unemployment is hard to figure because of the retirees. However like the US just double it and get the correct real nobama number.

google shadowstats

I have friends that cant find a job. Unemployment running out and even MickyD's and Wallymart arent hiring.

If you can get a job for 8 per hour your middle class...

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavis View Post
Prescott unemployment is hard to figure because of the retirees. However like the US just double it and get the correct real nobama number.

google shadowstats

I have friends that cant find a job. Unemployment running out and even MickyD's and Wallymart arent hiring.

If you can get a job for 8 per hour your middle class...

Good Luck!
I agree.

Unemployment in Prescott is much worse than Phoenix. Even before the economic recession, Prescott was a very difficult place to find good paying employment, now it is next to impossible.

Like Scott said, things are very hard up here, the retiree ratio throws things off. Many people are retired up here and throw off the stats. Never-the-less, unemployment is probably, in real world numbers, around 15%-18%. Many are taking part-time jobs, which removes them from the government "unemployed status" statistics.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:20 PM

24 posts, read 60,783 times
There aren't any really bad areas of Prescott. The Miller Valley area has a less than perfect reputation because the houses are older and the neighborhood is diverse. (Prescott, like most of AZ, is quite racist toward Hispanics.) This may be the area you were referring to, as it is near the Fairgrounds. I lived in that neighborhood for 2 years with my husband and daughters and never felt less than safe.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:42 PM

206 posts, read 615,434 times
prescott is not racist we have a great town

Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADY_DI View Post
prescott is not racist we have a great town
Upon moving here 5 years ago, I was shocked by the racism. It may not be obvious, but it is pervasive.

But yes, you are right. That aside, Prescott is a great town.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:22 PM

22 posts, read 70,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue.guineapig View Post

I hear that things are really slow there, does that mean landlords and rental
agencies are willing to negotiate a little on price? Are they that desperate yet?

rgp
Don't count on it, at least not on a newer place. Remember that landlords pay the RE taxes, their mortgage, and so forth, and none of that has gone down in price--just valuation. To lower the rent may be to invite people who may not take care of the propery, might be one worry. Also, you can be assured of the rent going back up just as soon as the owner can raise it. Or worse, have the property go into receivership while you are living in it and you being evicted.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:36 PM

22 posts, read 70,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamassage View Post
Prescott, like most of AZ, is quite racist toward Hispanics.
Which came first, Caucasian racist toward Hispanics, or Hispanics racist toward Caucasian

I don't see overt racism in Prescott, but I do in every 99 cent store and Goodwill store in Phoenix that I have ever shopped in.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphics View Post
Which came first, Caucasian racist toward Hispanics, or Hispanics racist toward Caucasian

I don't see overt racism in Prescott, but I do in every 99 cent store and Goodwill store in Phoenix that I have ever shopped in.
We were speaking of Prescott. What does Phoenix have to do with anything? Does the large wrong of one place diminish the subtle one of another? I think not.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:56 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,301 times
I think you will love riding your bike on the many wide open roads with little traffic and fantastic views. It is my understanding that hawaii has the highest cost of living in the USA so I think your bills have nowhere to go but down,by moving to Prescott.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:07 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,296 times
Listed: MSN Real Estate's daily blog - MSN Real Estate

2.8 million homes foreclosed in the USA during 2009. They are forecasting 3.5 million homes to foreclose in 2010.

"Say goodbye to the record number of foreclosures in 2009, and hello to a 2010 that boasts "No end in sight," RealtyTrac Senior Vice President Rick Sharga told the Wall Street Journal.
Prices for homes in the tri-city area will continue to drop. Along with jobs. They are announcing MORE teacher layoffs for 2010. A few hotels in the area are facing possible foreclosure if things continue as they are or get worse. Many businesses are teetering on going belly-up also.

Times are tough and it looks like it will get tougher.... Let's hope and pray to get through these bad times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott